Boeing 777-200 converted to a 777-300ER

This is going to be my next civvie - converting a 1/144th Boeing 777-200 to a 777-300ER, using the Minicraft kit with parts from Contrails, Braz and Draw Decals.

Here I have pictured the Minicraft 'standard' -200 series fuselage which will be my starting point, along with Braz's fuselage plugs to increase the length to a -300. I have a set of Contrails' GE90-115B engines, as the -300ER is powered by this engine which is considerably larger than the engines found on the -200 versions, along with the extended and raked wingtips from the same company. Finally, a set of KLM transfers from Draw Decal complete the package.

IMG_2622_zps4745f0b8.jpg

My starting point with this project is the engines. Contrails provide an after-market option, which looks as follows:

IMG_2628_zps0c40e7f6.jpg

Although these engines are a reasonable representation of the real GE90-115B, when I used them in the past (about 5 years ago now!) on a previous conversion, something didn't look quite right to my eye:

IMG_2638_zps256a00c2.jpg

In my opinion, and I stress my opinion, the engine cowling is too long, the intake ring is vertical where on the real aircraft it's slanted slightly forward, and I feel the whole engine sits too low. Also, the upper and lower lines of the cowling are parallel on the Contrails parts, whereas on the real engine the shape is quite bulbous. In this picture of the real aircraft (used for illustrative purposes only), you can see a significant curve on the upper lines of the engine, as well as the fact that the top of the pylon is actually level with the upper surface of the wing, unlike the replacement engines which I feel sit too low:

Pakistan_International_777_Engine_zps859

So... I decided to do some surgery...

The red area in the picture below was removed (approx 3mm) and the most forward cut was made at a slight angle to allow for the intake ring to slant downwards slightly and create the bulbous shape. Notice the difference in the shape to the picture of the real thing above:

IMG_2644_zps7988b0a4.jpg

After the front and rear parts were reattached, the fan and intake ring detailed and inserted, and the engine cowling attached to the pylon, I think the shape looks a lot better. The pylon itself was modified extensively to bring the whole engine up slightly, and all panel lines were rescribed onto the modified parts:

IMG_2656_zps97f9fb55.jpg

I must stress there was nothing particularly scientific about this, and it was all done by eye, but I think a significant improvement on the original Contrails parts. Compare my modified engines with the original build behind - I think it captures the look of the real thing much better now:

IMG_2670_zps0b21ef4f.jpg

IMG_2648_zps8f8da91b.jpg

Two, at least to my eyes, more accurate GE90-115B engines ready for installation:

IMG_2684_zps8086497f.jpg

Next up will be cutting the fuselage up and inserting Braz's plugs - something I know from last time is more tricky than it sounds!

Tom

• Like 6

Hi Tom

Thanks a billion for posting these valuable tips and notes. I am half way through a BA 777 200 at present but have another Minicraft 777 on the shelf with the Braz -300 conversion kit and contrails nose correction kits to make an Emirates 777-300 in the future. I did not realise that my kit would have the incorrect engines to make a -300,

Good luck with the kit - can't wait the see her wearing her KLM colours soon

John

Hi John,

You can make a 'standard' 777-300 using the kit's GE or RR engines (I can't recall which powerplant Emirates use for their 200/300s) but if you want to do a 777-300ER then you'll need to source some GE90-115Bs. The 777-200LR and and 777F also use the larger engine and have the raked wing tips. Again, 'standard' -300s use the original -200 wing without the raked tips.

Tom

Lots more progress on this conversion...

The fuselage was cut according to Braz's instructions, and the resin plugs inserted. The fit was ok - the plugs were very slightly larger in diameter but a good session with the sandpaper soon sorted that:

IMG_2694_zpsdfeb3643.jpg

Contrails' extended and raked wingtips added; fit was excellent:

IMG_2701_zpse351e81b.jpg

Once I'd finished sanding the fuselage and blending the plugs in, I gave it a coat of primer to check for blemishes - so far so good. Wings were then added, along with my modified engines:

IMG_2706_zps2d624565.jpg

IMG_2708_zps0a18a3c1.jpg

IMG_2712_zps55407951.jpg

I'm currently in the process of trying to improve the nose profile with plenty of filler and wet and dry - it still needs some work but is better than it was:

IMG_2731_zps4b969005.jpg

It'll soon be time for some paint...

Tom

• Like 1

Fantastic work Tom! I have the Minicraft kit in the stash, but will need to convert it to a -300 for use with Rich Warcup's Hobbit decals. Not sure which engines I need though. In any case, I'll be following your build for sure!

Kev

Hi Kev,

The Hobbit scheme is applied to a -300ER so you'd need to source some aftermarket GE90-115B engines.

Contrails do a set (as I've used here) and rumour has it Welsh Models do a set too.

Tom

Looking good - thanks for the update - try the contrails cockpit correction piece

Please keep me in mind and first in the queue for that spare set on engines if they go up for sale

John

You are a few days late for them as I have bought them

Kev,

Welsh do a wonderful conversion kit for the -300 including proper GE90-115 engines.

Lots easier to assemble compared to the Contrails engines. Tom did a masterful job

of correcting the engines on his build. I'm lazy. I figure they should be correct on

delivery. The Welsh engines fit my bill.

Alan

Kev,

Welsh do a wonderful conversion kit for the -300 including proper GE90-115 engines.

Lots easier to assemble compared to the Contrails engines. Tom did a masterful job

of correcting the engines on his build. I'm lazy. I figure they should be correct on

delivery. The Welsh engines fit my bill.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I saw the relevant page on the Welsh website, but the photo is broken, so I couldn't get a feel for the set. I don't recall seeing how much is was either, but I'm sure that info is on the site somewhere.

Kev

Thanks Alan. I saw the relevant page on the Welsh website, but the photo is broken, so I couldn't get a feel for the set. I don't recall seeing how much is was either, but I'm sure that info is on the site somewhere.

Kev

Kev, you are looking at 25 pounds for the set which includes:

RE-003 - 1:144th scale Boeing 777-200 conversion kit to 200 LR or 300 ER series., included in all the pressure resin parts are 2 x GE-90-115B engine plants inc engine pylons, extended wing strakes, flapjack fairings and a full 21 piece undercarrige set including all wheels, main supports and re-tract arms.

Kev, you are looking at 25 pounds for the set which includes:

RE-003 - 1:144th scale Boeing 777-200 conversion kit to 200 LR or 300 ER series., included in all the pressure resin parts are 2 x GE-90-115B engine plants inc engine pylons, extended wing strakes, flapjack fairings and a full 21 piece undercarrige set including all wheels, main supports and re-tract arms.

Thanks Ray. That's pricey, no doubt. I'll have to think on it.

Kev

I've spent the last few days getting this conversion painted and decalled. Paints are all Halfords' automotive acrylics, and the DrawDecal set went on beautifully. In fact, they're consistently the best decals I've come across.

S1030055_zps65266503.jpg

S1030050_zpscc46a890.jpg

S1030049_zpsc2115aee.jpg

S1030044_zps1dc2daec.jpg

S1030041_zps9794547e.jpg

These photos were taken indoors under fluorescent lighting so the blue looks darker than it actually is - when she's finished I'll take some pictures under natural light so the proper hues show through.

Next job is a coat of lacquer, and then installation of the landing gear.

Tom

• Like 2

Very nice indeed.

I like KLM colours a lot and by coincidence I used Draw Decals KLM 737 set recently and I too rate them highly. They are the only set of decals I can remember using in a long time that actually met exactly around the nose and tail (the thin blue cheat line), most are usually a fraction out (probably just me...).

I do wish someone would make a good ACCURATE injection moulded reasonably cheap model of the 'trip 7.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

I do wish someone would make a good ACCURATE injection moulded reasonably cheap model of the 'trip 7.

Jeff

Good, accurate, cheap, injection moulded.

Pick one.

By the bye, what blue do you recommend for KLM? I have an Air Tanzania 733 to do and I suspect that it's a slightly repainted ex-KLM aircraft.

Ideally I'd like all my wishes...Pas-decals have a 777 (resin?) kit in development (http://pas-decals.ru/)

For KLM blue I used Xtracolor KLM blue (new) X312, seemed close enough for my 737-800 but for the 737 you've linked to, it appears to be a darker non-KLM blue (from a quick bit of googling it seems that aircraft didn't fly with KLM).

Jeff