1/48 - Lockheed F-104G Starfighter by Eduard (plastic Hasegawa) - RFA/NATO & JASDF released

Homebee

Seen in the Eduard Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany

1/48 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter???? :huh:

- New kit (MiG-21 style!)?

- Reboxing: Revellogram, ESCI or Hasegawa + improvement sets?

- New PE or/& resin sets?

IMHO the DACO set (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933435-148-lockheed-f-104-starfighter-updatedetailing-set-by-daco-released) and decals + the Hasegawa kit are good enough.

Visit us at our stand at IPMS USA in Hampton, Virginia!

You can find us there from 6th to 9th August and there are several subjects we will talk about.

The most interesting for you might be:

- Novemberfest 2014

- Spitfire Mk.VIII 1/48

- F-104G 1/48

And much more!!!

Additionaly, you can also purchase many of our fresh August releases, and one special kit, which is about to be released in September 2014 - Danger Zone 1/48 - the Limited Edition of F-14A.

10565256_892372787444336_364068154892529

All with 25% discount! (30% for BFC members)

We're looking forward to meeting you there!

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

A totally new F-104G in 1:48 is absolutely pointless…..Now that Danny at DACO has brought out his improvement set and with all the resin/AM still around for the Hasegawa kit, this really would be a waste of time and resources (plastic etc)…..Then again, maybe Eduard are looking to adopt Zoukei-Mura's highly successful business model for bringing out unique products not available elsewhere :whistle:

• Like 1

allegedly Hasegawa rebox

Ah.

A totally new F-104G in 1:48 is absolutely pointless........

No, think there would be some merit in a totally new 48th effort. Italeri re-scaling their 32nd one, a new one from someone else, Revell, Eduard, whoever. The Hase kit is something of a curates egg as a kit plus being a tad expensive for what it is. And adding Daco's admittedly stunning set costwise certainly outstrips my pocket money. I'm mildly surprised Revell haven't done their own 48th one considering the 104's European connection but then their 72nd one seemed to be fairly short lived.

Stu

I am very doubtful this is a new tooling. A reboxing of someone else's tooling with resin etc is much more likely.

Agree.

Ed is a small business, with their hands already full at the moment with their own production, MiG-15 and -21, spit and 109, etc

Also, they used to announce their own models quite far in advance, usually with the january info.

Ah.

No, think there would be some merit in a totally new 48th effort. Italeri re-scaling their 32nd one, a new one from someone else, Revell, Eduard, whoever. The Hase kit is something of a curates egg as a kit plus being a tad expensive for what it is. And adding Daco's admittedly stunning set costwise certainly outstrips my pocket money. I'm mildly surprised Revell haven't done their own 48th one considering the 104's European connection but then their 72nd one seemed to be fairly short lived.

Stu

There would be merit in Italeri re-scaling their 1/32 scale ones??? Really???

Ask how the fools that got rid of their Hasegawa Ju-87s and Hurricanes when Italeri announced theirs, feel nowadays... :rolleyes:

And BTW the DACO improvement set is essential for someone really into F-104s.

It's naive to believe that a newly tooled kit for any manufacturer would offer that much... :whistle:

I've not built the Revell F-104s but people that did, told me that they'd rather not repeat the experience. Make what you want of it... ;)

Maybe that explains why the kits were available for only a few years.

Seen in the Eduard Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany

1/48 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter???? :huh:

- New kit (MiG-21 style!)?

- Reboxing: Revellogram, ESCI or Hasegawa + improvement sets?

Why would someone want to rebox the ESCI one??? :mental:

Even thinking about it is scary. :lol:

I like the hasegawa version!

The last Hasegawa Starfighter boxing is currently available at LM: http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=HSG 09365

And the DACO stunning set is available here: http://www.dacoproducts.com/K2Order.php

Why Eduard, why? Just to be present in the 1/48th jet market without investing in a new kit?

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Italeri scaling down their 1/48 kit ? The only advantage would be that it has the proper parts for the S version (the Hasegawa S doesn't). In everything else, the Italian kit is inferior to the smaller Japanese offering.

Why would Eduard rebox the Hasegawa kit ? Because it makes commercial sense ! Take a good quality kit (yes it has some issues but nothing IMHO really major), add your parts, sell the package in limited quantities and make a profit

• Like 1

Whether they release a new kit or not I'll be happy with the Hasegawa ones I have and Daco's stunning upgrade kit (which has all the bits for an F-104S as well.

Eduard will do what they think best for themselves regardless.

Have we heard anything about what is actually being announced? :shrug:

All of the above statements hold a lot of water.

Original Revell kit in 1/48 nasty ill fitting kit.

ESCI kit too fat in the fuselage and soft plastic.

Revell/Hasegawa version, that most people ignored fearing a release of the first offering sold badly due to it's history from the first release and sold on EBAY for £5-£7 at one point.

Current Hasegawa F104 are the best on the market we mostly agree combined with the DACO set a winner.

Eduard's proposal seems to be, to me anyway, a chance to add brass etch for the sake of and use the Hasegawa kit as a base kit, it will not be any cheaper than the current Hasegawa/Daco offering and that combination is the best at present and offers a wide choice for the modeller.

There is a reason why Hasegawa have slowed down on producing any more F104's the market is very small, there are only from what I have seen above 4 special colour schemes not produced if memory correct 2 murralled F104's, 1 german maintenance unit and the orginal F104B demostrator that Hasegawa advertised and never made.

So like the rest of this posting why are they doing it?

• Like 1

Small market?

I remember that after a recent re-pop of the hasegawa limited edition ROCAF F-104G in Taïwan, a friend of mine, model shop owner, told me that he sold all of the 50+ boxes he had in less than a single day.

I suspect it would have been the same in any other user country.

I personnaly do not need another starfighter in 1/48, but I usually like very much what Ed do, so wait and see.

I suspect it would have been the same in any other user country.

I think your statement is correct regarding the country of the user, as to more starfighters, I like them but not everyone's intrest, the decal makers appear to given up on any more fancy colour schemes, Tauro did a lot along with the now gone Meteor Productions, a few fom microscale in 1/72 and 1/48 of which I have everyone except the ones in my previous post that to my knowledge have not been done.

As to Eduard products they look good but what I have used fall short of actually doing what they were designed for i.e the Canberra B57 etched sets.

Agree with Antoine, here in Italy the Hasegawa Starfighters seem to sell very fast every time they appear on the market.

Regarding the Daco set, it sure is beautiful, but it's also quite expensive and contains a lot of bits that will only be of interest to the proper F-104 fans (of which I have to say I know many).

The cost of the Eduard offering is sure going to be lower than the total cost of a Hasegawa kit plus a Daco set. The Eduard box is also likely to contain new high quality decals, something that a modeller would have to add to the Hase/Daco combination anyway. For many modellers the Eduard box will be the perfect solution to have a well detailed Starfighter model without having to source bits here and there

While I agree that Hasegawa is a very nice kit, it is also showing its age compared to rejuvenated 1/48 scale of last four-five years.

If indeed Eduard tools new kit I am more than certain it will sell outstandingly well, especially if they do it accurately.

Given in house resin manufacturing, Limited Edition boxing possibilities are endless.....

• Like 1