Revell 1/72 Concorde

GrahamS

:lol:It's nohing to do with paint comming off...it is due to reflecting heat. The temp on the nose limited the speed at any given time.

Anything less than pure white meant less heat reflection and the limit being reached at a lower speed.

Edited by garryrussell

The Urban myth is that it could not go Supersomic

The published fact was that is was speed limited...maybe not by much, it didn't say, just that it was speed limited

I didn't say it had to go slow., just that it was limited by the dark colour.

Edited by garryrussell

In my understanding speed limit is "though shalt not exceed certain speed". In this sense there was no speed limit. But there was TIME limit - "though shalt not fly with M2 for more than 20 minutes"

The colour has only a minor effect. I believe that Concorde had an ablative coating similar to that of X-15 that is important factor. Given that X-15 flew largely flew in black and relatively a few missions in white probably is the key here.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

• 3 years later...

I don’t think much of all this winging about this Concorde 1/72 kit. It may not be perfect but what I have seen of my mates model it looks like a good one if you are not over critical. I build plastic and flying models. Try building a balsa model from a plan with no instructions, definitely not easy but extremely rewarding once you take it to your flying field and see it fly! Concorde was the finest aircraft ever built , don’t forget it’s mostly British designed and built and anything that looks that (the model) good is fine by me. I’ll get off my soap box now, good forum by the way.

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 14:00, marty_hopkirk said:

The colour has only a minor effect. I believe that Concorde had an ablative coating similar to that of X-15 that is important factor. Given that X-15 flew largely flew in black and relatively a few missions in white probably is the key here.

Marty...

I'm pretty sure Concorde did not have an ablative coating. An ablative coating works by burning away and falling off - carrying heat with it. After every flight, an ablative coat would have to be reapplied before the next flight. That would be extremely impractical for an airliner.

The X-15 was made from very different metals to Concorde - because it flew much faster and got much hotter. Most of its structure was made from Inconel X, a form of steel, which had good heat-sink properties. It didn't need a separate heat shield of any sort for that reason EXCEPT when the X-15 A2 version was pushed beyond Mach 6. For those flights, a genuine spray-on ablative protective coat was applied. It was expected that the coat would need to be applied after each flight. However, on the one flight above Mach 6, the ablative protection proved to be not great and the underlying metal structure was damaged. As the programme was coming to an end, it was decided not to proceed with these ultra-high speed flights so the A-2 never flew again.

It is sad that such an iconic and well known aircraft has been so badly served by model manufacturers. Id sooner see a new Concorde than yet another wretched Spitfire (yawns),any other done to death already WWII subject or yet another boring grey jet! Meantime,I've got another 1/72 Concorde which I intend to build as the Greater German Reich SST featured (albeit very briefly) in the tv series "Man in the High Castle"

Allan

Edited by Albeback52