Revell 1/72 Concorde

GrahamS

Just seen the Revell newsletter. New for 2014 is a 1/72 Concorde.

Anybody know if this the Airfix/Heller monstrosity or a new tool (please!!!) or a typo?

Graham

I noticed it in the newsletter as well. No sign of it on their website yet.

Revell already has their 1/144 scale kit in their catalogue so I expect it is not a typo.

If I had to guess I expect it will the Airfix/Heller kit reboxed.

As much as I'd love a new tool of a 1/72 concorde, hannants list this as the heller tooling. I'm guessing it will also have the airfix British Airways decal sheet too, as heller still sell it with Air France decals.

As much as I'd love a new tool of a 1/72 concorde, hannants list this as the heller tooling. I'm guessing it will also have the airfix British Airways decal sheet too, as heller still sell it with Air France decals.

Yes, the Newsletter mentioned BA markings

What a pity it seems to be the Airfix/Heller kit (monstrosity!! - that made me laugh) because you can imagine the super quality decal sheet that Revell will include...maybe Daco or Nazca quality, oh what a pity!!

Jeff

I have to say that I can't for the life of me understand why Revell would sully their name with what, in my

experience, is the worst kit ever produced. Mike won't let me write what I really think of it.

It's a shame as I'd love something that bore more than a passing resemblance to Concorde in 1/72, or 1/48th if the real truth be known, but I can dream on both counts.

Why, oh why do they bother?

Graham

I'm curious since I once read the Roden B720 should be thrown in the bin just how bad is this Concorde kit? :confused:

The Roden 720 was condemned by *some* modellers as being fit only for the bin but others have formed their own opinions of the kit and successfully made some very fine models.

No doubt, the same could be argued about the Airfix/ Heller kit (fit only for the bin) and from what I've read on this and other places there's great deal of reshaping and correcting required to get a good accurate model of Concorde in 1/72 but it can be done and modellers have shown the results of their skills here and on other sites.

I think it all comes down to your skills, how much effort you want to put into your model and how much you rate accuracy. If assembled the kit will look like Concorde and not a brick, a Spitfire or a Tomcat or whatever. There just seems too many issues with the kit for me personally to want to buy one. Such a pity as I really admire this aircraft.

Each to their own.

Jeff

Concorde kit unbuildable ...no chance......difficult build ....maybe...but its worth the effort when finished.

It just needs a lot of patience/filler and a very large shelf !

Ive seen 5 built and each one had a crowd of admirers around it .

Theres one on the AMSIG stand that is normally the first thing I see at any model show they attend.

Andy

• Like 1

I certainly can't see how it is the worst kit ever produced..

Even with the comments about it acepted, it is much better than perhaps the majority of kits ever produced.

Trouble is, nowaday modellers expect everything to be perfect and fit perfectly. Many kits have serious errors and need adressing

This doesn't look that bad to me, just, as mentioned, it needs some work but it does look like a Concorde much more than some kits look like their allegded subject.

I certainly can't see how it is the worst kit ever produced..

Even with the comments about it acepted, it is much better than perhaps the majority of kits ever produced.

Trouble is, nowaday modellers expect everything to be perfect and fit perfectly. Many kits have serious errors and need adressing

This doesn't look that bad to me, just, as mentioned, it needs some work but it does look like a Concorde much more than some kits look like their alleged subject.

Yes, it's a pig to put together but, no worse than the Airfix 1/72 TSR2 - the only kit in recent years that I HAVE binned because it gave so much grief!! Given a choice between the two,I'd take the Concorde any time. Granted,there's no real excuse for the poor fit and,the way the kit was engineered didn't help (fuselage in three sections?? Not good idea!!) .I'll happily buy the Concorde though when it arrives!( along with a bottle of my favourite malt!!) Buy it,build it, fight it, paint it, enjoy it! :bleh:

With two of these under my belt already I think I've got the measure of the beast!! This kit is by no means "unbuildable" despite the best efforts of some to portray otherwise and, it is certainly no worse than a lot of vac form or limited run kits in terms of assembly

Allan

I bought the kit about 10 years ago.

In terms of fit, nothing did. It seemed that every part was from a different kit.

There are a whole host of accuracy issues, non of which bothered me, with the exception of the nose and cockpit which to my eye completely ruins it.

There is no doubt that, with oodles of time and filler, an impressive model can be produced. I just decided that a beer down the pub was a better use of my time!

But having said that, Gimme Shelter, please don't let me or anyone else put you off. Half the fun can be the challenge and if you want a decent scale Concorde I guess it's the only way to go.

Graham

Yes, it's a pig to put together but, no worse than the Airfix 1/72 TSR2 - the only kit in recent years that I HAVE binned because it gave so much grief!!

Allan

How experiences differ! I didn't have much difficulty with the TSR2. Fortunately I'd read about the fit problems and so accounted for them during assembly. Of the two I'd go for the TSR2 anytime (and did to the tune of about nine! :) ).

Graham

How experiences differ! I didn't have much difficulty with the TSR2. Fortunately I'd read about the fit problems and so accounted for them during assembly. Of the two I'd go for the TSR2 anytime (and did to the tune of about nine! :) ).

Graham

:lol: You better believe it!! :thumbsup: You're a better man than I am Gunga Din :lol: ! My partner (Bless her!!) bought me a couple of Stratos 4 versions of the TSR 2 kit a couple of years back. I suppose I'll pluck up the courage to tackle them some day............................................!!!!!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

I quite fancy one in the proper BA colour scheme - the Landor scheme. Anything but that boring all-white finish!! :sleep_1:

Allan

Ummm, pretty much any scheme Concorde wore, be it Air France or BA, was overall white....heat reflection and all that stuff...

Jeff

Ummm, pretty much any scheme Concorde wore, be it Air France or BA, was overall white....heat reflection and all that stuff...

Jeff

Details! mere details!!! :rolleyes:

Ha!! :)

:lol:

You see, I was sort of thinking that with all the improvements in paint technology, the brand new heat resistant/reflective Unobtainium based Landor grey would be JUST perfect!!!!!

Allan

Allan!!