Hobby Boss 1/48 MIG 17 Fresco C

I'm going to give this MIG 17 a try. The moldings look good with lots of fine detail. I want to do a BMF with Alclad. Got lots of extra goodies for it, so will see how it goes. Wish me luck .. lol Any comments and feedback welcome :)

MIGstuff_zpsabb631f3.jpg

Hi Saints Phil how are you? Don't know which scheme I'm going to use at the moment. As long as it's polished aluminium and Russian! Starting to test fit the cockpit. It's quite a lot of parts that make up the nose. The Airies cockpit and wheel bay aren't a perfect fit but with a bit of packing everthihng should go in okay. As you can see from ther pics... first pick shows you can't build the resin parts the same as you would the normal kit parts as it doesn't put the wheel bay in the correct place...the latter pics show a better position, although the cockpit tub still needs to be raised slightly. I've given the parts some white undercoat because i this I will have to spray the inside of the nosecone with alclad before I start.. I'll then have to work out a way to mask it off without damaging the alclad.... oh well, I'm sure i'll think of something :)

co1_zps7a6efbf0.jpg

co2_zpse39325f5.jpg

co3_zps6943c482.jpg

co4_zps2d9ddc49.jpg

colast_zps9819d720.jpg

I'm well thanks!

Great start, I was wondering how the aires bits would fit and the answer appears to be not so bad!

I do like the natural metal ones, although to slightly throw a spanner in the works they weren't actually natural metal, like an F-104, but actually a metallic varnish, that is varnish with aluminium powder added to it. The finish is more likely to be satin, for a newer airframe, or Matt for an older used one. That being said it's your model so you can always go for factory fresh!

Why not try foam or damp tissue to mask to intake?

Phil

looking good so far!

the intake also polished? I would expect it to take on dirt very soon.

they weren't actually natural metal, like an F-104, but actually a metallic varnish, that is varnish with aluminium powder added to it. The finish is more likely to be satin, for a newer airframe, or Matt for an older used one.

interesting thanks!

you want a bright scheme? 1956 Kubinka, aerobatic scheme

MIG-17+234+GV+IAP+PATRULLA+ACROBATICA+KU

from

http://elhangardetj.blogspot.it/2013/10/kubinka-1956.html

but if you replicated that then how many folks would just think it was a bad paint job...

at some point the entire uppers went red

see

http://aerobaticteams.net/soviet-aerobatic-teams.html

might be worth testing out some alclad and then some satin varnish on a scrap kit, just to see how that looks, I'd bet still pretty shiny ;)

mig17ek.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys - some great pics :). Some progress I've done the basic for the instrument panel (still got a bit more to do). Going to work on the cockpit tub tonight, then the bangseat tomorrow. Starting to get the feel of the build now. More to follow soon.....

IP_zps3b4ed714.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Everyone. Actually I'm not that happy with the cockpit but it sits quite low in the fuslage, so it won't show too much. I've finished the front wheel bay and am working on the inlet for the engine to prep it for the Alclad. I gave it a coat of Tamiya fine white primer and polished it smooth, then a mist coat of Alclad gloss black, followed by a wet coat and have polished that. I think it will need another two coats minimum both polished before I spray the alclad chrome. I have a few day's off so hopefully I will complete that by friday..... thanks for looking :)

WB1_zpsb55d22fa.jpg

WB2_zps4fdc2c0f.jpg

• Like 2

I've started on the engine now. I've painted one coat of aluminium and am going to leave it there because it wont be seen anyway. I am however going to paint and weather all the exhaust. I did two more coats on the inlet and polished between coats. Then sprayed the alclad chrome. It's not too bad but for the fuslage and wings I'm going polish it more, because it could still be smoother, I'll also use a lower psi. I'm going to try and mount the cockpit etc tonight and will see how it looks then. Meanwhile I'm going to work on the exhaust... thanks for looking :)

Al2_zps8ac8912d.jpg

This was before the final polish...

Al1_zps9d73664e.jpg

and then the Alclad...

Al3_zps165a6a68.jpg

Al4_zps4e2a9250.jpg

Test fitting the cockpit tub. I've glued it in now. I used two pack epoxy because I needed time to move it into the correct position. I also tested the canopy fit. Engine inlet next, then I'll add solme weights in the nose and glue the front part of the fuslage together. Exhaust and tail next. Thanks for looking :)

TF2_zpsb52082b2.jpg

TF1_zpsd5c523a0.jpg

TF3_zps168e90d3.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Karl. I hope it helps with your build. I have glued the inlet in place, I still have to glue the other side of the fuslage. I just taped it for the time being so I could make sure everything was correctly placed. I've done the exhaust now. I think I,m going to have the airbrakes open, so will check my walkaround book for any cables, pipes that may show there and add those. Then complete the rear fuslage. Hope you likie it so far...

inl1_zps639a8eb9.jpg

inl3_zps99c74062.jpg

inl2_zpsfb5aa266.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I've found a couple of decent pics of the MIG's exhaust. You can see there is a ring of metal near the end of the exhaust that the model doesn't have... but I have an idea about that to try out (more later). Also there is a very nasty gap that runs along the bottom of the fin which will be almost impossible to fill and sand with the exhaust in place. However. I found that you can feed the engine exhaust assembly into the rear fuslage after it has been glued together. The instructions show, first gluing the assembly to one side of the fuslage, then gluing the other side. So I now hope to be able to fill the gap, sand it, paint it, then feed the exhuast in the glue it at the front.....

Dennison125_zps7cd84c24.jpg

Dennison126s_zps20312469.jpg

tp2_zpsa4f154e8.jpg

tp1_zps9a7bfe35.jpg

• Like 1

I've been working this week on all the slow stuff. Cutting and sanding the old wheel bay's off and fitting the Aires ones. I had to file down a lot of the base to get them to fit. They were razor thin in some places. I also had to cut away the fuslage at the wing root. I've glued the fuslage together. It's not a great fit, so filling and sanding next. Then I'll get the wings on and do the same. Hopefully it will be ready for primer by next weekend... Hope you like, so far! :)

pg1_zpsf6d0db2d.jpg

pg2_zps382af1f3.jpg

pg5_zpsa9c1df12.jpg

pg4_zpsf51550ac.jpg

pg6_zpsc26bc921.jpg

pg3_zps70d3d1e1.jpg