Airfix 2015 Pt 2

Wez

Now it's only a few weeks ago someone told me (in another thread) that I didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of ever seeing a new tool Defiant. Maybe I will!

• Like 1

I seem to recall that last year the calendar had the Tiger Moth on the cover, the moulds of which were sitting in the Tiffie's shadow at Telford. Perhaps the Defiant will be there this weekend alongside the star item. I have no doubt that it will be a new mould, as I really cannot see anyone at Hornby authorising a further re-issue of that old kit.

• Like 3

Ca

We're going to have to consider opening an Airfix 2016 thread... :D

OK - I'll be the first to suggest a 1/72 VC-10 - Cause it won't appear in 2015 (sorry to you fans out there).

Cheers .. Dave

• Like 2

The fuselage is the same on all Mk.I Hurricanes. Give or take oil spill rings, desert filters and any of the like I haven't thought of.

As for sure things, we haven't yet had the Spitfire Mk.Va despite the key parts being there on the sprue already. I don't think another MK.I Hurri can be reliably expected.

That's not true.

Just look at the bottom line of the windshield, where the clear part meets the fuselage.

That line is curved on early Mk.Is and straight on late Mk.Is

Plus the difference Procopius mentioned and some differences in small inlets on the front part of engine cover (this was discussed in another thread here and is well described there).

This really means the neccessity for new fuselage for late Mk.I

The change in the windscreen is because of the armoured glass and can be incorporated into that part. It does not affect the fuselage shape. The small bulges (not inlets) on the nose ring are provided on the kit already and only need removing for the very earliest ones.

Pretty exciting stuff, especially the Defiant and Sea King (for me at least) and as they point out, there are more announcements to come at the end of the year. We could yet see a new Beaufighter. Would look good next to a black Defiant.

The Defiant markings appear to be those of Plt Off Barwell of 264 sqdn and a nightfighter of 151 sqdn . I think I will have to have the two but I will do the day fighter as Thorne and Barker's aircraft as they were the highest scoring Defiant aces.

I wonder how many Sea King versions Airfix will do.

I suspect we may see quite a few Sea Kings, and starting with the HC.4 is quite clever. They've never done that version before, and it's always been the most difficult to do without forking out either for a conversion set or the Cyber Hobby kit. But I suspect that a HAR.3 will be quick to follow it, perhaps even next year as well, and then the ASaC.7 and HU.5 the year after (maybe in the same box).

As regards the Defiant, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a Series One day fighter kit in January, followed by a black night fighter as a starter set and either a Series Two kit containing an extra sprue for a target tug version or a dogfight double with the Dornier or Heinkel. Airfix will want to get their money's worth out of the mould, and it is uncommon for their kits to feature in less than three separate boxings/sets these days.

As regards the Defiant, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a Series One day fighter kit in January, followed by a black night fighter as a starter set and either a Series Two kit containing an extra sprue for a target tug version or a dogfight double with the Dornier or Heinkel. Airfix will want to get their money's worth out of the mould, and it is uncommon for their kits to feature in less than three separate boxings/sets these days.

The artwork is already on the Airfix site. A day and night fighter option in one boxing.

Trevor

One thing I have noticed is that Airfix do seem to be working through types associated with the Battle of Britain. :hmmm:

Spitfire Mk I and II - check.

Hurricane Mk I, rag wing - check.

Blenheim Mks I and IV - check.

Messerschmitt Bf 109E - check.

Messerschmitt Bf 110C - check

Dornier Do 17Z - check.

Now the Defiant and the He 111P. That just leaves the metal wing Hurri and the Ju 88A-1 and you have the basic aircraft set for the battle.

Or is that a bit too obvious? :shrug:

Oh, and good news about the Sea King, I've always rather fancied an HC.4 but didn't like what I saw with the DML kit. At least the Airfix kit will be the right shape and a decent price! :thumbsup2:

Mike. :)

PS. Forgot to mention the Ju 87B. That'll need retooled as well!

Edited by MikeR

Target tug would be a mk II, which would need more than just a few bits

They showed the box art of the double kit: unsurprisingly it comes with the new Dornier 17Z. It breaks long standing Airfix tradition by depicting two aircraft which are not only types which met in combat, but most likely the actual individual aeroplanes which met in combat.

• Like 4

They showed the box art of the double kit: unsurprisingly it comes with the new Dornier 17Z. It breaks long standing Airfix tradition by depicting two aircraft which are not only types which met in combat, but most likely the actual individual aeroplanes which met in combat.

Actually, the Spitfire I and Bf109E 1/72 double of recent years had John Dundas and Helmut Wick's aircraft (the former shooting down the latter), so this isn't quite a first.