Airfix 2015 Pt 2

Wez

As their 'left field' entry what about a 1/48 Gannet AS.4/6?

Trevor

or a 1/72 VC-10!! :winkgrin:

or a 1/35 Cutty Sark!! :analintruder:

Sorry guys ......................

But it's a UK Phantom, Scimitar or Gannet in 1/48........

But most of all Danni being nice to me..................... there is a first for everything ................. :banghead:

.................................But most of all Danni being nice to me..................... there is a first for everything ................. :banghead:

To nick an oft used line........"You're goin' STRAIGHT to hell for that one"!! :hanging:

Been nice knowing you Jenko, hope your wearing armour plate!!! :whistle::wicked:

Paul

Now, I thought this thread was all about what we think Airfix may bring out next year, not what we want them to?

With that in mind, and sticking with aircraft, this is what I think we may see next year:

1/72

Blackburn Roc and Skua (as hinted at)

Bristol Beaufighter (it really could be its turn in the sun, in two variants, possibly Mk.I and Mk.VI)

Westland Whirlwind helicopter (Airfix have yet to bring out a new helicopter)

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIV (starter seat and Series 1 box)

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.18 (Series 2 box)

Messerschmitt Bf 109F (starter set and Series 1 and 2 boxings)

de Havilland Venom (starter set and Series 2 boxing)

re-issues/new markings for:

Avro Lancaster 'Just Jane'

BAE Hawk T.2 with 4® Sqdn colours

Lockheed U-2

1/48

Hawker Hurricane I new mould

Gloster Gladiator

Of course, that's only my opinion. I might be totally wrong (it has been known, rarely).

Hmm, aside from a Hawker Hunter :pray: what about a new Spitfire Vb in 72nd to replace that ancient 1974 tooling? Hopefully with a hook for the Seafire boxing and C wings as well :D

:hmmm: A Beaufighter... :lol:

I think it would most likely be issued as a Mk.X.

What is this mystical beast of which you speak? A Beaufighter Mk.X? I've never heard the like!

Why has NOBODY mentioned this before?

Trevor

I don't know Trevor, it beats me... ...a Beaufighter, I like the sound of that!

Wez

• Like 1

From T7's comment above post 132, he is indeed correct, when last did Airfix produce a 72nd helo kit?

They could be brave and rebox Italeri/Revell Merlin HM1 as a 2, with just the addition of a simple sprue and new decal sheet. They could also re-box Italeri/Revell H-19 as an S-55 (BEA markings) and RN HAS 21/22 etc. A whole span of EC135/145's in UK Police markings.

A downscale of the fabulous 48th Lynx kits would be an area to start. Then Westland Whilwind helo's, RN/RAF plus foreign operators there must be at least six variants to that range, Dragonfly, Sycamore, Wasp/Scout...

But then I left my wish list with them at Telford.

Colin

I've been nice to you on several documented occasions.

Ah, but Danni, you must remember that what you consider to be nice, and what jenko considers to be nice, may be two entirely different things. Like the old joke about give and take: "I gave him a black eye and took his apple."

Ah, but Danni, you must remember that what you consider to be nice, and what jenko considers to be nice, may be two entirely different things. Like the old joke about give and take: "I gave him a black eye and took his apple."

OK.

Has anyone mentioned a Beaufighter yet...?

Take out 'eaufight' and insert 'uccane'

You've been spelling it wrong :bleh:

I've taken a bold step and sold off all my remaining oldskool Bucc kits and all other bits and bobs in anticipation of a belting new one from Airfix next year

CR

• Like 1

Quite enjoying this thread, at least two are on the list and being worked on, both will surprise you and I have provided research material and seen the CAD for another , keep going.

So how long would you say i have to clear a big shelf for these two beasties?

not a very good one from what i heard from friends..

With respect, I think you should possibly see for yourself rather than rely on unproven hearsay and speculation. I very much doubt if we'll see another or better kit in this scale.

Allan

Here's my 3s 2d worth. 'What do I think they will release?' and 'what I want' are probably two separate things. There is another category which is 'What do I think would make Airfix money?', given that much of their sales are not in model shops at all. The amount of Spitfires, Red Arrows and Typhoons given to kids at birthday parties is quite astonishing. Folks on this forum are the minority (though financially still important), it's Spitfires, Red Arrows, Typhoons and Lancasters from non-model shops that form much of the business.

What would make money, a no-brainer list in 1:72 (don't do 1:48 so can't comment):

-British Phantom. As already mentioned in this thread and I've suggested the same to Airfix, this is very low hanging fruit as two boxes can be had for one kit with FAA and RAF versions. It's a yawning gap left open by the high Yen preventing Fujimi from gaining much ground. I'm not an 'I'd buy 10 person', but I am an 'I'd buy 2'.

-Shackleton. More of an older enthusiasts kit but would sell in steady numbers. Each different Mk would need extensive retooling aside Mk2/AEW, so would suggest this combination.

-York/Lancastrian/Lincoln: All slow burn kits, but if a Shackleton was stuffed in to the CAD files it would, along with the current Lancaster, provide the basis for much of the tooling anyway. It's a way to use existing investment and a way to plug unfilled gaps, a logical next step.

Kits that must be tempting to retool:

-Vulcan, yet the old tooling is still doing sterling service for 90% of modellers. Could a new sprue be added/offered to update the kit and provide a bomb bay/different engines? I think a small part of the market would say yes, the rest don't care.

-Victor, tempting, but there is paid-for moulding with the competition that could be stuffed on the shelves quickly to spoil the show.

-Halifax. A retool needed especially given the old Airfix tooling and the inaccurate Revell offering. My guess is that those who know the difference are in the minority. A retool would go unopposed by Revell who will be seeking to recoup from existing investment.

-Buccaneer -Old tooling still produces a nice model with work. Those who can't change it don't care too much anyway, those who can change it will. Old tooling is paid for and still returning on the investment. No other real competition so far, maintain the status quo.

-Canberra B.2 Many would like one, but 'how' many exactly? PR9 was flogged off cheap with the last of the Nimrods. Was it simply the 'wrong' Canberra? (possibly) It's an odd aircraft that found its advocates long ago, you probably either cherish it or don't really care.

-C-130 Hercules. Up against the Italeri offerings which are quite reasonable but let down by poor box art (especially the drab E/H model, what were they thinking?!) and subjects. Airfix could pull a fast one by offering the pre-J series in far more versions, possibly different boxes, and making the box art 'sexy'. Which kid wouldn't put the Specter on their Santa list if they saw the new style box art? With very little change in the sprue and decals and it's off to the Falklands, checking fthe weather with 'Snoopy' or landing in Antarctica on skis. One extra tweak of the CAD files/different sprue tooling and you have fuselage extensions plus props and a J series. Go with UK spec engines to keep Brits happy and let those outside discover (or most probably not) the differences. It's a lot of kit boxes for the investment and if you can come in at a lower price point than Italeri with much better box art (very important, think of how many boxes you see opened in Hobbycraft as folk can't visualise contents) you could push them out of the door nicely with many re-release opportunities. Big project, some risks, reasonable returns over time.

-Beaufighter. The fat balding middle aged blokes (oh, that's me by the way) will buy it to fill a gap in the shelves and there's little else of this subject on the market at the quality/price point. Make the box art sexy and the kids will buy it, especially at the price point to compete with Typhoons, Harriers etc in the toy shops and department stores. The kid had a Typhoon at Christmas and now wants a Beaufighter -with rockets naturally....

Waiting in the wings:

-F-35. Politics aside, it will sell like hot cakes on arrival. CAD it now, tweak CAD as it arrives in service then commit to tooling and choose a good range of schemes. Other will do the same, spend a few bob on the artwork and marketing.

Thinking aloud...:

-On the basis that there are more mice than elephants in the world, I think a box set of small 'Microflyers' aircraft would be a good stocking filler and a release from left field. Imagine a value set that contained a Flying Flea, a hang-glider, autogiro, microlight and a Bede Jet or similar. Kids and hardened enthusiasts wouldn't leave it alone if it had the right price point.

-V Weapons. An accurate V1 with ramp and a V2 with suitable equipment. Imaginative box art and you have a nice stocking filler. CAD work is easy!

-707 derived aircraft. The AWACs wont reappear, Airfix have most of the tooling but I gather the engines reside with Heller. Why not do a reasonable deal with Heller or ditch them and go ahead and re-tool what is the smaller aspect of the complete kit -leaving Heller with a useless mold. Now can the existing tooling be mated up with new engines plus lumps and bumps to make a Rivet Joint, a KC-135, or even backdated to a 707 airliner? A fair investment for a fair return.

Not in the foreseeable:

-A400. Even if you wait until it hits squadron service, Italeri will do a re-issue. I can't see it paying for itself. Italeri have possibly won a Pyrrhic victory as it's an expensive kit and I can't see sales being that big.

-VC10. Huge investment, huge storage required at any point in the sales process. You'd sell 2,000 and never recoup costs. Forget it, one for the cottage producers.

-Concorde. With Revell taking over the old molds, one would assume there would be an understanding not to compete for a time period. Can't see it being reproduced after that anyway.

• Like 2

HP an interesting and well thought out argument.

Other 'low hanging fruit/no brainers' is to encourage Airfix's mission to kit more marks of the Spitfire. Yes I know some won't like it, but obvious gaps in their 1/72 coverage are the V (do a 'c' wing first) and high/low back XIV's. A Seafire I to III would be easy too.

Trevor