Spitfire pedal car renovation

So what would I do differently with the benefit of hindsight?

I would definitely start with more paint, a lot more! Running out several times was a real pain and nearly prevented me finishing it in time. I would also take more care with my soft edge masking. There are a few areas of overspray which could have been avoided but I guess this would improve with practice.

I have also discovered a design flaw in that when taking the weight of its pilot the main wheels bow slightly but there is not enough room to prevent them fouling slightly on the undercarriage legs. This makes it harder to pedal and it is also rather slow to turn even with 'full rudder'! I am going to modify and increase the length of the main spindle to move the wheels a couple of inches further out on each side. This will prevent fouling and also improve the Spit's rate of turn.

Overall though I think it looks great and thoroughly enjoyed renovating it. Of course,the last word should really come from its new owner and hopefully the pictures below tell you all you need to know! :thumbsup:

Doo%2Bpics%2B025_resized.JPG

Doo%2Bpics%2B051_resized.JPG

Doo%2Bpics%2B044_resized.JPG

• Like 9

Oh and here's its big brother!

I should take the opportunity to thank everyone who helped me with this project. I have already credited Hobbyrama for supplying the paint (in stages) and Bribie Island Signs for the markings but failed to mention Glenn Bailey of Glenns Custom Stuff who made up the mechanism for the rudder connection to the tail wheel.

But most of all I thank my Uncle John Chorley for building it in the first place and then gifting it to my little boy.

Oh and of course thanks to you guys for your advice and encouragement during the project. Tally Ho! :bye:

P7%2Boblique.jpg

Ah bless,.......he looks really happy with it,..... despite the fact that the wingspan is obviously wrong in relation to the fuselage,......seriously though,.....its been a brilliant thread and you`ve done a fantastic job,.....I hope it continues to give many more years of fun,...I would have loved that when I was a nipper!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

That is seriously cool. I wish I had one as a kid. I had to make do with a garden chair and a few sticks hinged together for the stick and rudder and some cardboard wings made from boxes. Could you fit a small electric motor? would be cool with a spinning foam prop :)

Totally cool. It gives me a great idea for when I have kids. Added to the check list...

1. Make 1:1 scale kid (check)

2. Make 1:? scale Mustang, Thunderbolt, or a Spitfire (check)

3. Play with the kid sitting inside the pedal plane (check)

Got it...

:D

Mike

Edited by youngtiger1
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for all your kind words of appreciation! :)

A couple of you have suggested modifications or a version 2 with motorised power, a spinning prop and full width wings. Now I'm no expert on anyone else's kids but these 'improvements' would probably end up with me being arrested following my little boy wreaking havoc in the local area! :devil:

Seriously though I did consider a perspex disc for the propeller but decided I could always add it later. Same goes for working ailerons which would be a nice touch and I could hide the mechanism under the wings.

But it's a kids toy at the end of the day of course and once I have the mainwheels moved further out I will just let my son do his worse to it! :S

As for building more, well maybe one day. A Bf 109 E might be the order of the day for when my next little'n, due in 3 months, is old enough to join battle. :pilot:

I just hope there is still something left of the Spit by then!

Oh and nearly forgot Biggles87. I didn't touch the instrument panel on this renovation. From what I can see my Uncle must have found a large photo of an aircraft instrument panel in a magazine and cut out all the main gauges and switches. He has then glued them onto a piece of card shaped to fit the instrument panel wall, then very carefully glued a piece of shaped perspex over the top for protection.

A great job and although the pictures are now a little faded I decided I would probably do more harm than good trying to replace them! :)

Edited by niceguygriffy
  • Like 1