Airfix C-47 Diorama - figures painted

Proof of dementia - I nearly missed this build thread entirely. Arghh! But...I finally found it and enjoyed every post! Very nice work indeed, Woody!

Whiskey 7, a C-47 which flew from the US to Normandy this past June for the D-Day commemorations, and is an actual D-Day veteran, is housed about 20 minutes from where I live. I couldn't help thinking of her as I watched you build this great new kit from Airfix. Thank you for some very enjoyable moments! :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Been out today, so not made any progress other than positioning the figures on the base to get an idea of what will go where. Should get a bit more done this week.

Chris, see you tomorrow matey :)

Not done much modelling over the last week, but got a few hours in today. Painted the various figures. Sorry about the picture, but having just stuck them on the base, they look much better than here! .

Anyone know where I can get a jeep from? This would finish it off. I know airfix are releasing a Dak with a Jeep, but for now could just do with getting hold of one.

43_zpsce7bb3a0.jpg

• Like 3

WOW That has turned out well Neil. The base itself is a lovely bit of model making. I particularly like the way you have done the grassed areas at the edge of the concrete hard-standing. Very realistic indeed.

Well done Matey.

Chris

Cheers guys.

Stew, I'll get one ordered. Leave a bit of time to work on the Manchester in between.

Chris, the edges are done using those sticky backed grass clumps around the edges of the static grass. Help to break up the lines a bit to give a more natural finish.

I was hoping to use more of the soldiers, but they are all in combat poses. The guy sticking out of the door is throwing a grenade, but looks like he is holding on to the inside of the aircraft and popping his head out!

Wawaweeewoo,.....that looks fab Neil,........what an excellent diorama but the baseball pitcher will be in deep kaka if the batter and backstump (OK cricket terms in use here,...don`t know correct US names!) both miss the ball and he breaks a window!

Seriously mate it looks brilliant and you can buy some really nice pre painted diecast Jeeps on line for less than a fiver which look great with a bit of weathering. Her is a link to one by Caramara for £2.50p at Antics on line;

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1942_1_105286108.html

All the best mate

Tony

• Like 1

That's the business that is! :thumbsup:

The new Airfix Jeep is probably your best bet, if you can't get one (unlikely though that is) get the Airfix/Heller kit (and optionally a replacement grill from Wee Friends: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72nd-Jeep-Grill-for-Airfix-Heller-Wee-Friends-WBM72026-model-kit-/351168813677?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item51c34ada6d ).....Avoid the Dragon kits, they are underscale. :nerd:

That looks great! Just as a suggestion... I always like a tiny bit of goofing off on dio's like this... maybe you could let one of the officers get hit by the ball or something like that? :P

• Like 1

Cheers guys. I ordered some stuff from Hannants the other day, but there were no Jeeps in stock so I presumed it wasn't out. Just had a look on Ebay, plenty there so I'll order one.

That one looks lovely Tony, but it's 1/43 scale. Shouldn't take long to cobble an airfix one together :)

If it was my Dak, I'd be telling the base ball players to go and play somewhere else, but that would need a bigger base :lol:

Proof of dementia - I nearly missed this build thread entirely. Arghh! But...I finally found it and enjoyed every post! Very nice work indeed, Woody!

Bill

Yep. Goes for me too. I had just been wondering to myself why you didn't have a WIP going - and I stumbled across this.......Which then reminded me that I need to browse some others of your old threads to pick up tips on using pastels.....:)

That looks great Woody, will it be at SMW this year? I would love a photo!

Hi Radleigh,

I'll be going with the BC Sig this year, so no place on that Table, but if there is a Britmodeller display, I can take it down and put it on there if there's room :)

Cheers

• Like 1