Airfix C-47 Diorama - figures painted

I think that base would be plenty big enough and the aircraft serves to break it up into sections rather nicely too.....You might have a Jeep with some officers passing on orders or instructions in the runway section while the periphery of the ongoing match could be depicted on the grassy area, maybe also have some more serious minded fellows checking their gear one last time by way of contrast....You would only have to hint at each activity rather than show the whole thing.

Think your idea is the way to go :)

Just been and ordered the baseball set. Thanks for the idea mate

Looking really good, I've just bought one for the stash, it's interesting to see that airfix seem to have designed it in a way that makes it easier for the modeller to build, the painting guide is good as well, I'm glad airfix have done away with the horrible invasion stripe decals that they used in older kits, painted looks much better even if it takes a bit more prep.

Rich

Cheers guys.

I've got the paratroopers today thanks to Mottlemaster and Sgt. Squarehead, ordered the baseball figures and now having seen those Army Airforce crew above, I've gone and ordered some of those as well, it wouldn't be right without them on there too!

Tonight I got a top hatch scribed in as shown on the thread in the WWII section and got the decals on. The new Airfix decals are the best I have ever used. I noticed that on the 1/24 Spitfire too, they sit down really well. I'll get some pictures tomorrow after work. Touch wood, this build is going quite smoothly for once :shutup:

• Like 1

Pat, it wasn't about knowing best, more about domestic compliance!!!! It's a drier, worth it's weight in gold in the winter, hate washing all over the house!

Still in awe from yesterday at the 3 Lancs event at East Kirby, had a good look around their Dak there too for some inspiration to crack on with the build!

Hiya Neil,

I love the Dakota,....sorry C-47 Skytrain,.... so far and it looks brilliant as usual, I`m looking forward to seeing it finished.

I don`t know whether this will help mate but if you look at reference pics of C-47/Daks which were being used to drop paras they had the rear edge of the para door lined with doped fabric to stop the parachute static lines from being cut on the sharp metal and also the seams on the rear door and the large hinges (plus the hinges of the para door exterior framework too) were also covered with doped on fabric tape to prevent any rigging lines or uniform, equipment etc from snagging,......basically the area between the door and the tail was made as smooth as possible to prevent any hang ups or disasters. Usually this was done using fabric covered with silver dope but in some instances this could be overpainted with other colours if there was time ,......only to be ripped off again after para operations were finished. For this same reason the para door could not be fitted and I`ve been told that it could not be opened in flight anyway,...so was always left off during drops.

I did a USAAF C-47 in an article alongside a Horsa glider for MAM years ago (it was a September issue,..but I don`t know the year) which had the tape recreated using silver painted Tamiya tape and it looked quite effective if I say so myself!

Here are a few examples;

Paratroopers_Dakota_Groesbeek_OMG1944_BM

Note the upper wing star on this Op Market Garden C-47,......no bars! Most D-Day USAAF paratrooper carriers also carried bomb racks under the fuselage carrying containers or para bags and the thing underneath the fuselage is a wind breaker for the under fuselage stores which was sometimes fitted to USAAF C-47`s and are often mistaken as being some sort of radar!

abe7cf90c29b90f576ed1516ec6e9a95_zps6c21

Most paradropping aircraft in WW2 had chalked on numbers by the door denoting which aircraft was allocated to a particular stick of paratroopers and even to this day a stick of paras or for that fact any troops embarking one of a multiple of aircraft are referred to as a `chalk' as each stick is allocated a `chalk number'.

All the best mate

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Tony, those shots are great, thanks. I've only just noticed it, typical for me, I learn things after the point I need to! Below are some progress pics, but I want to see if I can add in some of the details you've shown above. At the moment, I've got both doors off, but thinking of configuring it with just the paratroop door open. Hmmm. Think time!

33_zpsffab5ae0.jpg

34_zps228d2c8b.jpg

36_zpsbb0f75b6.jpg

35_zps6b7777cd.jpg

• Like 6

That is a Great looking model! I like it a lot. I think as a 48 scale guy I need to invest in the new airfix 1/72 models.

Even if it is only to relax from the more complicated builds.

Cheers

Arniec, this is the first of the new tooled Airfix kits I've built and very impressed with it. Just as well with what is in the stash so far!!!!

Thanks to the picture above by Tony, I've realised that the boarding step is also included on the sprue, it just isn't mentioned in the instructions unless I'm going blind!

I've now added tape to the forward hinges, off to add the step

I've not added tape to the rear hinges, the little 1/72 men have yet to add that, but done the front ones. The plastic in the boarding step is a little thick, so I'm going to modify that before fitting it.

The tape is simply masking tape with silver paint and a wash of MSG over the top to tone it down a bit.

37_zps9fedd95f.jpg

• Like 2