Airfix C-47 Diorama - figures painted

It's been a few weeks since I did any modelling, but should be able to crack on tomorrow. Managed to get the garage come man cave in to something fit for modelling and kart maintenance (my sons race kart). Huge thanks to Chris (Stringbag), getting it to this state has taken a lot of work with him making several trips from Flint over to sunny Warrington! Most of the cupboards were taken from a kitchen he'd stripped out, but making some bits from scratch took quite a bit of time. Still lots of bitty stuff to sort out, but enjoying being able to find things now instead of wading through boxes and drawers. Need to get or make a spray booth, but it won't stop progression of the Dak :)

12_zps1e38a93a.jpg

13_zpseb6b7fe0.jpg

And even has some 'ambience' !!

14_zpsc59cfad5.jpg

Tempted to put some blue strip LEDs along the bottom of the cupboards for a bit of fun!!

• Like 6

lol, no it's a TV with a DVD in the back of it. Great for losing track of time when I 'nip' in to the garage!

Managed to get the fuselage together tonight, so should have some progress pics tomorrow. Had to run a bit of filler down the seams, but nothing major. I think these new Airfix kits have such fine tolerances on the internal gubbins, a bit of paint and things get rather tight in there.

• Like 1

Managed to get all the big bits attached today. It's looking rather scruffy at the moment as I've run Tippex down the fuselage panel lines to reduce them and give a good rub down. Quite happy with how it's coming along. I'm tempted to do an airfield diorama as part of this, but would need some paratroopers.

17_zpsf9ff39c0.jpg

16_zpscfff12a3.jpg

• Like 6

Hello Neil

Earlier in my build Sgt Squarehead (Andy) kindly sent me two sets of paratroops to cut up and bend . He is happy for me to send on the servivors to you . I also got a set so there are a good number of little men . If you want them all pm me your address and i will post them on . I think there are two Italeri and one revell sets.

Alistair

• Like 3

I found that the new tipex just crumbles away and does not adhere very well

This is one of those pen thingyo's, seems to be working OK. Got the aircraft primed today. I'll get a few pics tomorrow before the paint starts to go on.

Funny thing is, despite having all this space in the garage, I'm doing most of it on the dining room table! I don't want to mess the garage up :lol:

SWMBO doesn't seem to be aligned on my thought process though!!!!!

Today, I got the D-Day stripes painted. The wings were fairly straight forwards, but masking the fuselage stripes was a PITA trying to keep everything parallel as I had to use thin strips of mask rather than full width ones to conform to the double curves. Meant to get some pictures done, but forgot, so I'll get some done tomorrow. Next step is getting the main colours on. I struggled with the fitting of the cockpit glass as anticipated, I wish Airfix had designed this as a one piece part including the fuselage above it as some modern airliner kits provide.

Yes Andy,

I've got a base already prepared that is part concrete, part grass, so it will be an airfield scene prior to THE drop.

This is the base:

DSC04063_zps87864561.jpg

This is the progress so far:

18_zps1598c3da.jpg

19_zps39470b4f.jpg

20_zps21da2f06.jpg

21_zpsee6e4bcf.jpg

Hope to get the paint on today :)

• Like 5

Yes, yes more stripes!!!! I am going :mental:. hehehehe Can't wait to see here with some more paint on.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

lol! Managed to get the paint on tonight helped along by watching 'Battle of Britain' in the man cave!

A few minor bits to tidy up, but all has gone well....so far, famous last words!!! I'll get some pictures tomorrow after work.

I went for Xtracrylic Olive Drab. Given the lengthy debates about the colour, it looks 'right' to me, I'm not that hung up on exact colouring, especially when they varied so much in real life through weathering etc.

Cheers

• Like 1

How about depicting a pre-drop soccer or baseball match taking place around the bird.....These might offer some interesting figure-bashing possibilities in combination with the Paras you already have:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2040

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2283

Caesar do some nice US Paras of their own, unfortunately the poses are all rather 'shooty':

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2166

• Like 1

Liking the imagination Andy :)

The base is fairly small, I'm now wondering if I can get a bigger one and do something as you suggest.

Here's the pics so far. Still a bit of tidying up and the de-icing boots are yet to be painted. I'm quite happy with how the Tippex (WHSmith brand to be exact) has handled the panel lines

22_zps89ece6bb.jpg

25_zps9133b370.jpg

24_zps0260ce09.jpg

26_zpsf6a243e9.jpg

23_zps24b4c732.jpg

27_zps89d9fddc.jpg

• Like 5

I think that base would be plenty big enough and the aircraft serves to break it up into sections rather nicely too.....You might have a Jeep with some officers passing on orders or instructions in the runway section while the periphery of the ongoing match could be depicted on the grassy area, maybe also have some more serious minded fellows checking their gear one last time by way of contrast....You would only have to hint at each activity rather than show the whole thing.

• Like 1