1/72 - SEPECAT Jaguar A by Hobby Boss - released

Homebee

I know its only a CAD at this stage but they seem to have got the wing leading edge issue sorted out shape wise although it looks to be further back from the intake trunking than it should be.....the nose contours look a little 'under nourished' too. All being well, HB will have taken note of the issues surrounding the Kittyhawk kits and address these in their 1:72 scale kit and maybe even scale them up to 1:48 too.....we can live in hope.....the Italeri 1:48 scale kit seems to have now disappeared off the radar following the release of the Kittyhawk kit.

the nose contours look a little 'under nourished' too

When manufacturers post CAD pictures, they often use axonometric view, not perspective view. That's why the noses look too small.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A bit pricey... over £20 for a 1/72 Jaguar ??? And this before delivery and import taxes... the Tomcat from the same company is £6 cheaper while being a larger and more complex kit

Agree with Georgio 26euros is a little expensive I have the Italeri kit in my stash I will wait to see what's in the box before buying this one ...

Patrice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems a bit pricey for a non cottage industry product, I note the fuselage comes complete with nose and as they are doing an 'E' I assume a new moulding. I have not seen any sign of a 'B' or 'S', which seems a bit strange as the RAF seemed to put a lot more effort into developing and using the Jaguar than the French did and the the 'S' formed the basis of most of the export models (presumably as Dassault wanted to sell all French Mirages). Mind you at £20 might stick with the Hasegawa kits in the stash.

Wasan (group that owns Trumpeter and Hobby Boss) will have to get down to earth at one point. At that price the buyability of the kit is poor. I'm puzzled that they don't realize that. I've been expecting the 1/48 HB Super Tucano but I refuse to buy a single-prop buggy kit at 37USD P&P excluded (Lucky Model price).

• Like 1

Seems a bit pricey for a non cottage industry product, I note the fuselage comes complete with nose and as they are doing an 'E' I assume a new moulding. I have not seen any sign of a 'B' or 'S', which seems a bit strange as the RAF seemed to put a lot more effort into developing and using the Jaguar than the French did and the the 'S' formed the basis of most of the export models (presumably as Dassault wanted to sell all French Mirages). Mind you at £20 might stick with the Hasegawa kits in the stash.

Developing yes, the British variants were more sophisticated from the start and were developed much further. Using, not sure as French Jaguars saw action in a large number of lesser known conflicts, particularly in Africa. In terms of usage I think they had nothing to envy to their Brit cousins.

Regarding the fuselage, I would not worry too much, it would be easy enough to mould a new fuselage. Trumpeter did this for the various Lightning variants, they could do it for the Jaguar.

As said before, I also find this kit too expensive compared to the competition.

Wasan (group that owns Trumpeter and Hobby Boss) will have to get down to earth at one point. At that price the buyability of the kit is poor. I'm puzzled that they don't realize that. I've been expecting the 1/48 HB Super Tucano but I refuse to buy a single-prop buggy kit at 37USD P&P excluded (Lucky Model price).

I have to agree. When they first appeared their models were very well priced, and many of the products from those days are still at such good prices (Trumpy's 1/72 An-2 and Il-28 for seven or eight quid), but I think they soon realised that they could charge a lot more for their products, and unfortunately we are now seeing the result. The overall quality -and the inconsistency of it- has not changed to warrant it, however. Their pricing structure does not make a lot of sense in any case, as the 1/72 Jag is almost as much as the 1/48 Hawk.

I can't see any obvious errors which is encouraging (viewing on an iPhone btw!).

My only comment would be the wing attachment method. Virtually everyone else does a complete top wing so avoiding a potential dihedral dilemma. Here you will need to get it right yourself and probably use a strong glue, as the 'tongue and groove' method looks tricky unless it's a tight push fit.

Agree about the price though.

Trevor

• 3 months later...

I just got my hands on one of these, fortunately only paid half price on eBay.

I'm rather disappointed at the fact that there's only an option for a closed canopy. Additionally there's no cockpit panel detail: only decals, and HB were such skints that they didn't even provide for the side panels!

The pros: surface detail is outstanding, miles ahead of the much older Hasegawa. There's also a collosal amount of French armament, practically a weapons set. You get two of the electronic warfare pods so you can actually use the stores in this kit to build it AND a Hasegawa if you have one in the stash.

Armament is:

2 x BGL-1000 LGB

1 x AJ-168

2 x Altist II targeting pods

2 x BLG-66

2 x Matra Magic II

1 x BAT-120 set (12 each)

2 x Matra BR.250 sets (3 bombs each)

2 x Barracuda ECM pods

2 x Phimat dispensers

2 x French style fuel tanks

• Like 1

Oh dear, I just noticed another major ommission: the air brakes are molded closed. :(

Why Hobby Boss, why? Why waste such beautiful molding and leave it so incomplete???

Probably because they don't think that checking CAD model accuracy wouldn't significantly increase their sales. That's fine with me: other people do it and they get my money, not HB.

Edited by Laurent

Oh dear, I just noticed another major ommission: the air brakes are molded closed. :(

Why Hobby Boss, why? Why waste such beautiful molding and leave it so incomplete???

Because they didnt bother researching - had they done so they would have seen that Jaguar air brakes are open when parked.