Avro Manchester L7463 - Revell / Planet cross kit - FINISHED!

Well it's back from the Tate modern!

Got the interior painted. Done a little extra detailing, but as much won't be seen, I didn't go overboard, just enough to add interest if one gets close enough!

20_zpsef3bd5b1.jpg

21_zps4806dc97.jpg

• Like 4

Certainly is mate. Hope you're back is feeling better, purely for selfish reasons of course, need to see the Halifax progressing as well as the Whitley!!!

Got the fuselage stitched up over the weekend and made a start on the turrets. I used the Revell mid upper base reduced in diameter to suit the Manchester turret. Fortunately, the lip that sits inside the Revell transparency is the right diameter for this job, so it was a case of removing the plastic up to the lip as a guide. The turret fairing from the Manchester kit fits quite snuggly. Plasticard was added inside the fuselage to sit the turret base on:

26_zps593db7e7.jpg

25_zpse749d58d.jpg

24_zpsdf16cb0a.jpg

The Falcon front turret designed for the earlier Airfix Lancaster is below. I had to sand quite a bit off the base to fit height wise, but pleased with how this is looking now...

23_zpsb3924ff2.jpg

And the fuselage so far...

22_zps4a05442f.jpg

Hopefully get a bit more done over the weekend, got too much on in the week.

Cheers

• Like 3

Decided to open the window on the cockpit as most ground shots have it so. I've modified an RAF crew member from the Airfix Aircrew set so that he can be waving. I had to cut his head and torso off and reposition them, not looking too bad now.

27_zpsf8156cf8.jpg

28_zpsb73a06c2.jpg

I was hoping that you`d have an update today Neil and you haven`t disappointed us,.......love the pilot waving from the window,.......top man! Is he from the Revell set, or do Airfix do an aircrew set that I don`t know about?

Have you decided upon the markings you`ll be using yet?

Cheers

Tony

Edit- Dohh,....I`ve just remembered page 1,....so you do know the markings!

Edited by tonyot

Cheers guys. I've been umming and arring about doing this, masking the open window at the painting stage will be a little tricky, but there's no going back now.

Tony, sorry, yes I mean the Revell set.

The markings will be the scheme from the Planet kit L7463 OF-P but I'll be using some aftermarket codes as these look very dark.

Also got the Jeep nearly finished for the Dakota build so hope to get some RFI pics of the diorama tomorrow

Cheers

Neil

Got the wings and tailplanes on last night. The fins are just dry fitted for now. There's a little filling to do at the rear of the wing roots, but nothing too bad, quite pleased with how the cross kitting went.

Next step is to start masking the transparencies ready for priming and painting.

29_zps59fcd6ab.jpg

30_zps21746b69.jpg

Cheers

• Like 6

The Planet instructions show the aircraft to have the aerial mast at the rear of the cockpit, but from pictures I've seen of similar aircraft, the mast isn't present.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I kind of like the mast because it differentiates it from the Lancaster a little more and makes it more 'Manchester' like if you know what I mean!

Cheers

Here goes. All the pictures of MkI's show the aerial. All the others of MkIA's don't show the aerial with the exception of one picture that claims to be a IA. It doesn't show the tail area to confirm it but it does have the clear panel in front of the bomb aimers blister which was a feature of MkIA's, apparently. There are 3 pictures of L7320, clearly a MKIA with an aerial, this was a trials aircraft so p'raps a converted MKI. Now your a/c L7463, was built as part of a MkI batch of 103 a/c they were all delivered with the 33ft tailplanes. So there you go, muddy water all round. Personally I'd go without the aerial but if you must build a MKIA with it then it'll have to be L7320, no squadron markings.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

That`s it,.....you`ve splashed out on not just one,......but two Planet Manchester`s,.....so that means only one thing,.....that Airfix will definitely add a set of Manchester wing and tail pieces to their Lanc kit next year,.......you did it withyour Blenheim`s and you`ll do it again now,.......thanks Neil!!

You`re a real star mate,

Tony

• Like 1