Avro Manchester L7463 - Revell / Planet cross kit - FINISHED!

The new HK model Lancaster is coming out. Anyone fancy back dating that one to a Manchester?

Hacker,

I'm game. Will certainly start hacking one apart.

Our museum will receive a fairly complete Vulture engine soon. Will post some pics in time.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 1

Cees, after you do that, how about doing a 1/32nd scale Lincoln? Now that would be something.

Regards,

Jason

Would need a separate room just to display it

If you had the quid for the Lanc in the first place, what's a "little" additional money to build a room for it? You could then display all your 1/32nd scale Lancasters and variants - a Manchester, a Lancaster B.II, the Lincoln, etc. And hope you live to 150 in order to build them all.

Regards,

Jason

Hacker,

I'm game. Will certainly start hacking one apart.

Our museum will receive a fairly complete Vulture engine soon. Will post some pics in time.

Cheers

Cees

Now that would be interesting. Didn't think any survived the war. If memory serves me correctly there was a prototype fighter that used it also and it worked perfectly fine but in the Manchester the Vulture was a horrible failure

If you had the quid for the Lanc in the first place, what's a "little" additional money to build a room for it? You could then display all your 1/32nd scale Lancasters and variants - a Manchester, a Lancaster B.II, the Lincoln, etc. And hope you live to 150 in order to build them all.

Regards,

Jason

And, just to complete the family, a York and some Shacks ...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mike has moved this thread in to here now where it belongs. Still got some stuff to do with the Dakota diorama, but hope to move forwards with some of this in parallel. Looking at Cees build above, I'm not short of inspiration!

There was a 1/48 conversion on Ebay this week, but last time I checked it was £140+ :(

Looking forward o seeing this one progress Neil,.....we`ve been waiting a while! Are you finishing off your Dak in the D-Day GB too? I`ve put a post on which might be iof interest, or might not!

Cheers

Tony

OK, should get some time on this kit this week. My initial plan to use the vac turret supplied with the Planet kit needs to change. The framework is wrong in that the side vertical frames should converge below the bullet fairing at the top, but they slope back towards the rear of the turret. Time to see what I've got in the Falcon sets.

I'm going to work on the engineering aspects first, namely fitting some 4mm diameter aluminium dowels to mate the wings to the fuselage. This will be the approach taken from an earlier build:

DSC02479.jpg

The existing wing spar will be cut flush with the fuselage sides and the dowels positioned to fit between the plastic parts.

• Like 1

The Planet fuselage has stubs to attach the wing to as seen below, but the Revell kit doesn't, so first step with the wings is to build the span up slightly. This was done by scribing round the root profile on to a piece of plasticard, cutting it out and gluing it to the root followed by a careful sanding.

3_zps905995f5.jpg

4_zpsba76c25b.jpg

The drilling for the dowels will be done before fitting the engines and tiding up the detail (including filling a few holes in the resin) to prevent any damage of the sticky out bits from sausage fingers!

• Like 4

Cheers guys.

Enjoying things so far, this aircraft has always fascinated me, probably because of how elusive it is.

Got the wing dowels made. Aluminium rod is great because it's strong, but you can bend it to sort out final alignment. The wing is slightly thinner at the root than the Revell kit parts, so there is a gap underneath, fortunately, the upper curve is very similar, so no gap is present on top where it is more visible. I considered blanking off the gap with plasticard, but as the wings slightly recess in to the gaps, I'll put filler in once the wings are finally mated. Some fettling of the root edges was done as the fuselage halves aren't parallel, so this had to be compensated for. No Indian trick here, just trial and error.

Dry fit:

5_zps81864f0e.jpg

The dowels glued in to one side. When I come to fit the wings, I'll probably use some kind of impact adhesive to glue the dowel in to the opposing wing rather than superglue to allow some movement to final positioning.

6_zps9ba06e40.jpg

One engine and nacelle in place

7_zps57958ddd.jpg

Cheers, Neil

• Like 3