Avro Manchester L7463 - Revell / Planet cross kit - FINISHED!

Been planning this for a while. I was unsure whether to cross kit or handle the full resin build, but spent some time tonight weighing up the pro's and cons. On the whole, most of the issues with the Revell Lanc are confined to the wings except for the front turret, so I cut the vac formed front turret out on the Planet kit and the fit is excellent in the front of the Revell fuselage, so that finalised the decision. I'll be running a couple of aluminium spars through the fuselage in to the resin wings like I did on the last one a few years ago for rigidity.

I've actually got two Planet Manchesters, the Mk.I and Mk.Ia, so will do the Ia first as this will need less work (has normal Lanc tail feathers), but will follow up at some point with the earlier version.

So, the plan:

Revell Fuselage and interior

Planet turrets and mid turret fairing (probably form a new rear turret due to the join down the middle on the Planet one).

Planet wings, wheels and possibly gear legs, not decided on that yet, depends what's possible.

The aircraft:

AvroManchesterMarkIAOF-PSriGajah-JillofN

L7463 started out with 97 Sqn based at Coningsby on 26th September 1941 in the markings of OF-P. From there, it moved to 106 Sqn on 20th January '42 and changed its markings to ZN-S where it operated until it's 12th mission and fateful end on the morning of 24th April of that year. Taking off from Coningsby at 22.00 on the 23rd, it attacked the Heinkel works in Rostock. On the return, the port engine caught fire. Losing altitude on one engine and slowly turning due to the asymmetrical power of a starboard engine on full chat, the pilot Harry Murdoch Stoffer ordered the crew to bail out to which all successfully did. Stoffer stayed with the aircraft, but unfortunately the fire burned through the port wing causing it to break away. Sadly he died in the subsequent crash in Visgaarde near Tinglev in Denmark.

DBM_0e15d3e925112101cdfc58ae60dee211_zps

The kit will be built in the Planet supplied decals of L7463 in the 97 Sqn markings. The code letters are rather dark so I'll either replace them, over paint them or mask them. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow :)

• Like 6

Can we tempt you to hold fire until the Bomber Command group build? Manchesters look so cool, even if they were a bit (very) crap.

Well that might be a grand idea, thanks for reminding me Pete. Perhaps the Blenheim and C-47 might have to jump the queue then! A few OOB builds wouldn't go amiss !

Hi Woody

You could do the C47 in the D-Day group build which is happening at the moment.

Cheers Pat

I was thinking that a few weeks ago, now it's at the top of the list, I will if welcome :)

Hi Woody, another Manchester - wishing you the best with that one.

Remember my build from last year

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933765-manchester-revell-lanc-with-paragon-conversion/

Manchester_zps93d6c751.jpg

Great one mate, like the clear props :)

mymanchester1.jpg

mymanchester2.jpg

The one I did many moons ago. I retrieved an old unbuild Revell Lancaster from the bin at my buddy's hobby shop. I had previously purchased at a show a pair of Vulture nacelles from a fellow modeller. I spend a couple of weeks just modifying the outer wing and scratch building the bomb bay and the interior. Unfortunately l no longer have the model.

• Like 7

In that case, here is mine in 1/48. Conversion of a Tamiya Lanc. Nacelles are Milliput, the wings were radically altered. Still got the FN 7 turret to do. But it was great fun. I plan to do this again on a 1/32 HK Models Lancaster in the future.

Over to you Woody.

Cheers

Cees

DSCF1407-2.jpg

• Like 9

So Neil.....

My Manc questions have got you going then??? :)

FYI, I took 3mm off the inner end of the wings and whilst the HBM version still has too great a span by about 2mm each side, I think I can live with it :rolleyes:

At least they're closer to the planform of the wings now.

Cees, is there no end to your ingenuity??

John

Edited by 12jaguar
  • Like 2

From where I'm writing this I can look over to my semi-completed Manchester (Paragon conversion - 1980 Airfix kit) staring forlornly at me wondering when I'm ever going to get off me bum and finish it! I know, Woody, please don't even mention the Lancaster Mk.VI that's still languishing in never-quite-completed land. Still, nice idea about kit-bashing the Planet Models kit with the Revell kit. I shall watch with great interest, as you actually finish your models! A great inspiration to all slackers such as me.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Neil,

IIRC you have already built a Manchester. Why another? Nothing wrong with that as it is a very interesting type and unsung too.

I have some wip pics of my Lanc/ Manchester work but do not want to hijack your great thread.

Cheers

Cees

Edited by Cees Broere

Looking forward to following this thread! Personally, I think the Manchester is a better looking aircraft than the Lanc.

Martin

So Neil.....

My Manc questions have got you going then??? :)

FYI, I took 3mm off the inner end of the wings and whilst the HBM version still has too great a span by about 2mm each side, I think I can live with it :rolleyes:

At least they're closer to the planform of the wings now.

Cees, is there no end to your ingenuity??

John

Hi John,

I was planning to be semi ignorant with the Planet wings and leave them as they are, right or wrong, although from our conversation, I don't think they are that far out to attempt to tear chunks off!

From where I'm writing this I can look over to my semi-completed Manchester (Paragon conversion - 1980 Airfix kit) staring forlornly at me wondering when I'm ever going to get off me bum and finish it! I know, Woody, please don't even mention the Lancaster Mk.VI that's still languishing in never-quite-completed land. Still, nice idea about kit-bashing the Planet Models kit with the Revell kit. I shall watch with great interest, as you actually finish your models! A great inspiration to all slackers such as me.

Best Regards,

Jason

I wasn't going to mention the Mk.VI Jason, but now you mention it :lol: Perhaps you're Manchester and Mk.VI would be a good KUTA collection, I won't be alone in looking forwards to them being finished

Neil,

IIRC you have already built a Manchester. Why another? Nothing wrong with that as it is a very interesting type and unsung too.

I have some wip pics of my Lanc/ Manchester work but do not want to hijack your great thread.

Cheers

Cees

Hi Cees,

I did, pretty much using the same method as I'm planning for this one, but since then, my skills have improved (painting wise) and the Planet parts are much better quality. Also, I haven't done a three fin variant yet. Also have a real soft spot for the Manchester. I'll ask Mike to move this thread in to the Group build when it's set up, so feel free to post any WIP pictures :)

Here's a new pic of the previous build with resin wheels and exhaust stains applied

2_zpsa92640a9.jpg

3_zps66dc34b4.jpg

• Like 9

Neil,

That Manchester looks spectacular. Really like the exhaust staining. As you asked here are some pics of the home baked conversion.

The different coloured plastic is that I used bits and pieces of discarded kits to see if I was able to do such a complicated conversion. You can see how the nacelles are built using formers filled with Milliput. The various intakes are from the Lanc kit suitably cut down.

Hope you like it. It was fun. L7518 was a Manchester whose wreckage was recovered by the museum I work for as a volunteer.

Cheers

Cees

DSCF1372.jpg

DSCF1373.jpg

DSCF1379-1.jpg

DSCF1401.jpg

DSCF1402.jpg

DSCF1405.jpg

DSCF1407-1.jpg

DSCF1460.jpg

DSCF1484.jpg

• Like 13

I halted work on my 48th scale Paragon conversion because I couldn't find any specs as to Manchester's outer wing dihedral. Paragon's resin wings lacked a definite mating face. Can anyone here provide a definitive answer? I wish to portray a 408 Squadron aircraft.

Any progress pics, Woody? There are some great models on here, but no pics of your WIP! I'd love to see how it's coming on.....

Ian

Hi mate,

Sorry, I've halted it to await the group build in September. I'll ask Mike to move the thread in to there once set up.

Cheers

I halted work on my 48th scale Paragon conversion because I couldn't find any specs as to Manchester's outer wing dihedral. Paragon's resin wings lacked a definite mating face. Can anyone here provide a definitive answer? I wish to portray a 408 Squadron aircraft.

I can email a drawing to you if you pm me that should help :)