1/48 F-86 of yet undecided markings....

My GB addiction continues! I wasn't going to join another this year but then the Mustang one came along, now I've fallen off the wagon I might as well carry on!

I'm going to use the Academy kit in 1/48

imagejpg1-28.jpg

imagejpg2-6.jpg

imagejpg3-4.jpg

Extra bits

imagejpg4-4.jpg

Markings to be reposted once I decide on a scheme!

I won't be starting until week after next at the very earliest

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil
  • Like 2

Hi Saints Phil!

Great taste in F-86 (Your Peruvian F-86!). However the FAP got their F-86 with the F-40 longer wing with the front flaps...

May be converted with plastic card, saw and chutzpah :)

Cheers Moggy - (digger of latin american aeroplanes)

Hi Saints Phil!

Great taste in F-86 (Your Peruvian F-86!). However the FAP got their F-86 with the F-40 longer wing with the front flaps...

May be converted with plastic card, saw and chutzpah :)

Cheers Moggy - (digger of latin american aeroplanes)

You sure about that? Everything I've read states they we're ex USAF -25s!

Yep my refs say -25's though one pic I have shows slatted wings. They did later on get some attrition replaces direct from Davis Monthan which may have been -40's but there is no record I can find of what they were.

Julien

They were F-86F-25 some of which were originally built with the early narrow wing with LE slats.

Your kit has the 6-3 "hard" wing with the small fences.

Can't find any photos of any with that type of wings but then again I don't have that many photos of FAP Sabres.

First time I hear about them fitted with the -40 wing.

More info to follow.

Edited by Panoz
  • Like 1

Yep my refs say -25's though one pic I have shows slatted wings. They did later on get some attrition replaces direct from Davis Monthan which may have been -40's but there is no record I can find of what they were.

Julien

True. There are no serial numbers for the later examples; not even in Latin American websites (believe me I've looked).

In any case there is no record of them being subsequently fitted with the -40 wing(as many early F-86 were) and you can't really tell from photos... :whistle:

Just FYI F-86F-25s were originally built with the narrow slatted wing and then the 6-3 "hard" wing.

Change over to the hard wing was with the 171st F-86F-25 (51-13341).

Available serial numbers of FAP aircraft show at least 8 aircraft with the hard wing (51-13491, 13494/13495, 13499, 13501/13503, 13505).

Unfortunately I don't a list showing relation of USAF to FAP serials.

What do the decal instructions say?

In any case there is no record of them being subsequently fitted with the -40 wing(as many early F-86 were) and you can't really tell from photos... :whistle:

Exactly!

Only photos I have seen have been the narrow slatted wing. Now saying that someone will come forward with a new pic!!

I can't find any photos of "hard" wing Peruvian Sabres.

So there is a possibility that were infact retrofitted with the F-40 wings before delivery.

In any case your kit is no good. But if that's any consolation most of FAP F-86 models I've seen on the web have the "hard" wing. :winkgrin:

Edited by Panoz

Ok thanks chaps! Looks like I might be on for a rethink then which is a shame! Am I right in thinking this kit is good for an RAF MK4?....

Yes. You can also do Greek, Turkish, Yugoslav, Italian and staying with Latin America Honduran.

If it is a question of spotting the -40 wing, there's some wing beyond the slat, which should be readily apparent from cooperative angles. If trying to discern between slatted "narrow" wing and slatted 6-3 wing, I think the best indication is where it hits the panel (ammo?) on the fuselage.

bob

• Like 1

If it is a question of spotting the -40 wing, there's some wing beyond the slat, which should be readily apparent from cooperative angles. If trying to discern between slatted "narrow" wing and slatted 6-3 wing, I think the best indication is where it hits the panel (ammo?) on the fuselage.

bob

Many thanks. So based on that it appears that FAP Sabres had the -40 wing.

Photo-clues on F-40 wing: wingtip does not show the aileron (aileron does not stretch into the 12-inch plug).

About the F- type and wing correlation:

(Checked for facts in a few books on the subject ;) )

Almost all countries that received (mostly second hand) F-86 from the US after 1954 had their wings replaced to the "export" wing of the F-40 type. That is a slatted 6-3 wing with a 12 inch tip extension. Jennings Heilig did a wonderful diagram with all the wing types; right now I can't find it!

Peru, Argentina, Venezuela and Bolivia got second-hand, re-winged ex-USAF Sabres with the F-40 wing. I have the pictures to prove it :) Colombia bought six Canadair Mk.6 new and received three second-hand Spanish (via US MAP) with the slated wing.

The only Latin American country to fly F-86 with the 6-3 hard wing was indeed Honduras; they bought ten Yugoslav CL-13 mk.4 (F-86E(M) themselves ex-RAF), exported in crates to the US, made ready to fly in Fort Lauderdale (Florida) under cover of the CIA and later flown to Honduras by "CIA contract pilots" - mercs... They did receive 3-4 more F-86F w/slated wings from Venezuela at a later date.

Cheers, Moggy (still digging Latin American aviation)

Edited by Moggy

AFAIK, the RAF also had a combination of slatted and 6-3 Hard wing Sabres, so it is very vise to check your references as some squadrons used a combination of both or either type exclusively.

Two excellent books are the Sabre by Duncan Curtis http://www.rafjever.org/duncansabre.htm and of course Cold War Shield Volume 2 by Roger Lindsay http://www.coldwarshield.co.uk/books/two.html

Good luck .. Dave

• Like 1

Just found some cutting edge decals for a Yugoslav machine, I think it's a gaudy yellow number, but I could use the roundels and make the numbers up for a standard machine. Can anyone confirm one with the correct wing?

One thing I've learned it's always more complicated than you thought it was going to be!

I'm thinking RAF sabre now, or to keep it simple maybe even the box scheme, I do quite fancy a NMF bird....

Hi SaintsPhil!

Now I feel very silly - If I kept my counsel you'd have built a beautiful Peruvian F-86 and enjoyed it... :blush: Instead the only result from my advice was to put you off it ... :(

Cheers, Moggy (the party-pooper...)

Hi SaintsPhil!

Now I feel very silly - If I kept my counsel you'd have built a beautiful Peruvian F-86 and enjoyed it... :blush: Instead the only result from my advice was to put you off it ... :(

Cheers, Moggy (the party-pooper...)

No you did the right thing, if I'd have got half way through and you'd have piped up I'd have never been happy with the model and probably never finished if! I'm not a sabre buff at all but I fancied building one. I can't get too excited by the USAF schemes and I was kindly donated some spare decals by a fellow BM member. I was trying not to buy any more decals but still keep it accurate! I think I have achieved that with the Yugoslav option....I hope... Edited by SaintsPhil
  • Like 1

The only Latin American country to fly F-86 with the 6-3 hard wing was indeed Honduras; they bought ten Yugoslav CL-13 mk.4 (F-86E(M) themselves ex-RAF), exported in crates to the US, made ready to fly in Fort Lauderdale (Florida) under cover of the CIA and later flown to Honduras by "CIA contract pilots" - mercs... They did receive 3-4 more F-86F w/slated wings from Venezuela at a later date.

Actually serials indicate 10 aircraft delivered to Honduras (six from Yugoslavia plus four from Venezuela).

Edit: I found these photos in my HDD from the old LAAHS site showing all surviving FAH Sabres when offered for sale in 1984.

Apologies for the small size; that's how they appeared at the time.

FAH_Sabre-4_01.jpg

FAH_Sabre-4_02.jpg

FAH_F-86K_01.jpg

The best reference on the Sabre is Duncan Curtiss book for Crowood and although it has details on all export users it doesn't say what types of wings the aircraft operated by the various countries had. If there is a source that does so I'd be happy to know it.

Edited by Panoz
  • Like 1

Actually serials indicate 10 aircraft delivered to Honduras (six from Yugoslavia plus four from Venezuela).

Some refs I have say 8 from Yugoslavia and 2 from Venezuela. Venezuela also gave Honduras 4 x F-86K.

The Sabres which were assembled in Florida were painted medium sea blue. Camo came later.

Julien