SEA SIOP Camo B-52D et al

robvulcan

Cringe and shudder all you like it is a classic....like me. Here is the kit it is based on, a 1954 1/175 Revell golden moldy. I was 1 year old when this kit came out! Geeeeeezzzzz no one cringes at me! :(---John

1954RevellB-52kit_zps543abc64.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

No cringing and shuddering here. I'd snap up old kits like that in a heart beat, accuracy does not seem to correlate with age old kits and new kits can both be good and bad accuracy wise but they are all fun to build and old ones have a charm that no modern kit can match.

Just something magic about them.

I quite fancy modelling one of the Phantoms above with the unusual camo nice to have something unusual like that to make.

:)

I quite fancy modelling one of the Phantoms above with the unusual camo nice to have something unusual like that to make.

:)

Not just Phantoms Rob. That stuff went Global. A-7's, F-105's and at least one of Heyfords E's had the fin treated. The Tan paint is quite enigmatic in the various shades that it has appeared. From a rich reddish tan to a wimpy washed out pale colour it first started out as, I have often wondered if the DoD farmed out its "consumables" contracts to the Global areas in which it's forces operated. That may go part way to explaining the many variations around at the time. I know for a fact that the F-111's that went through re-work at Filton were re-finished, when required, in UK produced paint to FS595a standard and colours.

Dennis

• Like 1

Not just Phantoms Rob. That stuff went Global. A-7's, F-105's and at least one of Heyfords E's had the fin treated. The Tan paint is quite enigmatic in the various shades that it has appeared. From a rich reddish tan to a wimpy washed out pale colour it first started out as, I have often wondered if the DoD farmed out its "consumables" contracts to the Global areas in which it's forces operated. That may go part way to explaining the many variations around at the time. I know for a fact that the F-111's that went through re-work at Filton were re-finished, when required, in UK produced paint to FS595a standard and colours.

Dennis

I think its the variance that is part of the appeal. I like the Tan when its somewhere in the middle and appears almost with a greenish cast. Kind of a stone colour.

Its been ages but I have long wanted to make some Aircraft in this scheme its one of my favorites. An F-111 Is defiantly on the cards.

Cheers Rob ;)

Moving on a bit. I was puzzled by the different tones of dark grey seen on Phantoms when the lizard scheme came into use. At the Alconbury show in 1884 2 Phantoms from Seymour Johnson were alongside one from Spang. The former were almost black and sooty while the SP a/c was as smooth almost dark sea grey finish. A couple of years ago I was in communication with somebody involved in re spraying the European based Phantoms and his view was that t efinsih depended very much on the pressure used in the spray guns.

• Like 1

Was there also a variance of the greens here. Today I looked at Humbrol 116 117 118 and they look right for some but the tab looks too red for some and the dark green not dark enough.

Yet another interesting scheme it looks damn great whatever that's for sure. Particularly with black undersides.

Rob :)