SEA SIOP Camo B-52D et al

robvulcan

Rob,

Just thought I'd throw my two pence in,

I have a 1/72 B-52D that I completed in this scheme and I used mr hobby aqueous colour paints to do the job, I think they're pretty spot on, but I've also done the SEA scheme on other vietnam era kits using the humbrol colours previously mentioned here (116/117/118) and I think their pretty spot on too once dry.

I'm not sure I'd use revell aqua or enamels, although I like their paints, I don't think they do the right shades of green etc and as they love mixing colours in %'s you'd have to do this with their paints to get the right colour.

Rich

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help. And all this for a 1/350th kit !!

However its welcome as I intend to make a few B-52, a 1/144th H and D is also non the cards and I'd like to do a current type too,

Pardon my ignorance I might like em but I know nowt about them other than they are big beautiful, make a great whistle and go by the cool name Buff !

I can feel a few Phantoms coming on too.

I might give MrColour a try not used them before. I hear they are great ;)

Where did you get that photo from?

I mean the in flight jet.

Ive never seen a H wearing SEA before this!

Probably not - it's just my model. I wanted a B-52 in that scheme, and remember I did say "to hell with it"... accuracy has never been something associated with my modelling!

Sorry for the thread hijack, Rob.

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 1

Probably not - it's just my model. I wanted a B-52 in that scheme, and remember I did say "to hell with it"... accuracy has never been something associated with my modelling!

Sorry for the thread hijack, Rob.

Cheers,

Dean

Dean, please feel free I am very easy going and like conversation to flow. It's all interesting and its nice to know others model for fun in terms of freedom an imagination rather than always going for accuracy.

I live both sides of the fence.

I have never encountered anyone as imaginative as you though with the black and white schemes, lanberra, and others. It's good to see.

Not holding one genre up against another but because so many seek the accuracy thing I do like to see people input their own dreams, whims, and fun. As a creative musician I appreciate that, taking the established and doing something new.

It's all good.

So to your B-52 the flying one is your model !! Wow it looks real !

Edited by robvulcan

B-52Ds wore standard SEA tactical camo colors, not SIOP. Even before they've finished reading my words, someone is undoubtedly linking a photo of a D in SIOP to gleefully prove me wrong, but it was (if it ever happened) not the norm for the D model.

Edited by Jennings Heilig
  • Like 1

In a word: Nope

Well ,,,, Damn !!!! ,

I am very surprised that this classic has not been done in 1/144th !

I would have thought it be an obvious choice for any kit manufacture.

Oh well hopefully soon someone will do it. ;)

Just been looking for a 1/144th B-52 D and H,

No problem finding the H but does anyone kit the D ?

Would a 1/200 scale one do?

http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=170534

Not that you'd find one nowadays but you never know what might turn up on ebay... :whistle:

Still available is the old 1/100 scale Tamiya one which odd scale notwithstanding is actually very nice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-300060025-Aeroplane-Boeing-Stratofortress/dp/B004QTOAZW

• Like 1

And just because some of the answers here are confusing, all B-52Ds used in Viietnam were modified for conventional bombing missions before transfer to the warzone. This including repainting in SEA camo over black undersurfaces. (FS:34201/ 34159/34079/17038).

Edited due to wrong FS codes quoted.

Edited by Panoz
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the info. 1/200 would be nice but I have been eyeing up the Tamiya 1/100 job,

Would go very nice with the 1/96 frog vulcan I have and the 1/100 bucc, viggen and lightning.

I really wish 1:96 /. 1:100 would return. I think its a great scale.

Edited by robvulcan

I've marveled for years that no one has done a tall tail BUFF in 1/144. It's a very manageable size for the BUFF, and there are gobs if interesting variants and color schemes for them. An opportunity lost, and still waiting. I've recommended it to several manufacturers over the years, but no one has bitten on it (yet).

• Like 1

B-52Ds wore standard SEA tactical camo colors, not SIOP. Even before they've finished reading my words, someone is undoubtedly linking a photo of a D in SIOP to gleefully prove me wrong, but it was (if it ever happened) not the norm for the D model.

Jennings, can you elaborate more on the use of tactical colors ?

While I've seen this mentioned several times in modelling magazines, I've yet to see hard evidence of this. Diagrams in TO 1-1-4, most photographic evidence and recollections of people working on the D all point to the use of SAC greens on the uppersurfaces. Is there some bit that we've been missing ? Were the tactical colors used before the introduction of the SAC greens ?

I'm not using the name SIOP as this is the one with white undersurfaces, the scheme with black undersurfaces is named SEA scheme in the TO

I've marveled for years that no one has done a tall tail BUFF in 1/144. It's a very manageable size for the BUFF, and there are gobs if interesting variants and color schemes for them. An opportunity lost, and still waiting. I've recommended it to several manufacturers over the years, but no one has bitten on it (yet).

Well I'm glad in not the only one. There are so many classic early variants that should get made and never do.

While other types get every mk made including the very obscure.

But surely a B-52 D would be hugely popular.

I would have thought academy would have done it seeing as they I'd the tiddler one I'm making. Nice as it is its like a starter and now I want the main course ;)

Jennings, can you elaborate more on the use of tactical colors ?

While I've seen this mentioned several times in modelling magazines, I've yet to see hard evidence of this. Diagrams in TO 1-1-4, most photographic evidence and recollections of people working on the D all point to the use of SAC greens on the uppersurfaces. Is there some bit that we've been missing ? Were the tactical colors used before the introduction of the SAC greens ?

I'm not using the name SIOP as this is the one with white undersurfaces, the scheme with black undersurfaces is named SEA scheme in the TO

Are you happy that you made me and Jennings look like complete censored? :angry:

That's the SIOP camo diagram in TO 1-1-4:

B-52_SIOP.jpg

And that's the SEA diagram from the same source:

B-52_SEA.jpg

Needless to say you were absolutely correct. :goodjob:

Just because there is a technical order for it doesnt mean it happened.
The D model never got a fresh coat of paint after Vietnam because it got one when it went there and it wore those colour until it retired in '82-'83.

Jennings, you have seen actual proof that they didnt use standard SEA colours on the Ds!

The proof is in this thread!

Hi all I am sure this has been mentioned before but I can't find the answer.

I am Making a B-52d in the Green, Dark Green/olive, Tan and black undersides scheme.

Can some kind soul tell me the correct call outs for Humbrol,Revell, Aqua, or Other please.

Cheers Rob ;)

This may help Rob, from Fine Scale Modeller, September 1993 :-

qwbw1AR.jpg

and a Big Black Buff I shot at Dyess a few years ago. Last three:-

"666"

9hfWkue.jpg

The following month, FSM did the "Strategic" scheme.

HTH

Dennis

• Like 1

Jennings, I'm sure that the files on the B-52 were the least of your problems, having a fire destroy the house must be one big bad trouble !

In any case, I understand that the TO is not necessarily authoritative but we have more than the diagram in the T.O.1-1-4 here, we also have plenty of photographic evidence of B-52Ds in SAC greens uppersurfaces. The nice picture posted by Dennis for example is clearly of an aircraft with SAC greens and not the "tactical" colours (I know, tactical is not a correct term but I use this to indicate the usual FS 34079,34102,30219).

As the use of tactical colors is often mentioned, I'm not at the moment saying that they were not used at all, but I'd like to know if they actually were or not. To date I've seen some colour pictures that may indicate this but no official document.

ElectroSoldier, if the Ds never received a coat of paint after Vietnam then they served in Vietnam using SAC colors as there are many post-war pictures showing these colours clearly.

Well in that case I dont know

1137263.jpg

The G models wear SIOP scheme (3 greens over white)
The D models wear SEA

Is it the same scheme?

Maybe it is, after all the D paint was applied 5-10 years before the G model got hers...

Or maybe its different, it looks different to me.

• Like 1