SEA SIOP Camo B-52D et al

robvulcan

Hi all I am sure this has been mentioned before but I can't find the answer.

I am Making a B-52d in the Green, Dark Green/olive, Tan and black undersides scheme.

Can some kind soul tell me the correct call outs for Humbrol,Revell, Aqua, or Other please.

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan

Hi Rob

if you google and put in "B52 colours" you will get a link to Cybermodeler online they have the appropriate colours you need

Tan 34201

Black 17038

Green 34079

Green 34159

For some reason I can't do links on my computer

Model masters

Tan 1792

Green 1793

Forest Green 1710

Black 1749

Life color

Tan UA039

Green UA077

Forest Green UA091

Black UA301

• Like 1

The colours used were green FS 34079 and 34159 and tan FS 34201 (that is a green anyway according to the FS)

Humbrol has the FS 34079 as H116 but the others require mixing (although some years ago I used H31 as a relatively decent match)

If you can find them, the LIfecolor line has all the 3 colours

• Like 1

Hi all I am sure this has been mentioned before but I can't find the answer.

I am Making a B-52d in the Green, Dark Green/olive, Tan and black undersides scheme.

Can some kind soul tell me the correct call outs for Humbrol,Revell, Aqua, or Other please.

Cheers Rob ;)

Hi Rob

Humbrol colours made easy Hu 116/117/118 Being Dark Green/ Olive/Tan respectively - undersides Hu 33 (x a few pots for undersides if it's 1/72 version) :lol:

Edits Wow, the other guys beat me to it

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1

Xtracolor makes all the shades of the SIOP scheme mentioned above.

HTH,

Andre

To my knowledge the B 52D version never wore SIOP camouflage as they stayed in the SEA camo till the were destroyed under the SALT agreements or retired.

Funny thing is, some C & F's wore SIOP though

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

WOW thanks for all the help. Its only the tiny Academy Minicraft kit, However I do have a fondness of the B-52 and plan to build a few in 1/144th soon.

My knowledge of them is limited but I think its a D I have.

its the old type with tall tail fin, rounded nose without lumps and bumps., Old style engines, pods on the outer wings, and the scheme which I now understand is SIOP scheme thanks to you guys.

I always wondered what it was called as I find this the most attractive American scheme, Looks great on Phantoms unless it has a different name then with the light grey.

I have no excuse to not get the colours right. Cheers guys ;)

And there was me thinking it was the 1/72 scale beast :shrug:

Sorry to disappoint. I would like to do one of those one day but my oh my is it a large beast !, I think I would have to get planning permission first.

This is a tricky one...

the SIOP scheme is the one with the 3 SAC greens and white undersurfaces. The greens are as said by many FS 34079, 34159 and 34201

The SEA scheme.... yes, the Ds used the SEA scheme until the end and never got the SIOP one. However my understanding is that they used what the SAC called SEA scheme, that is the 3 SAC greens with black undersurfaces, not the tactical SEA scheme of 34079, 34102 and 30219.

Most pictures of B-52Ds clearly show the SAC colours on top... others are a bit suspect though I have to say

• Like 1

WOW thanks for all the help. Its only the tiny Academy Minicraft kit, However I do have a fondness of the B-52 and plan to build a few in 1/144th soon.

My knowledge of them is limited but I think its a D I have.

its the old type with tall tail fin, rounded nose without lumps and bumps., Old style engines, pods on the outer wings, and the scheme which I now understand is SIOP scheme thanks to you guys.

Hi Rob

just be aware the B52D wore the SEA/black scheme, (prior to that the Natural metal uppers and white undersides) - this is not the SIOP scheme

The Strategic Camouflage scheme or SIOP scheme aircraft had the uppers camouflage similar to the D but with white undersides and later on, the tan changed to grey.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Ah so looks like I have managed too..

can-of-worms-o.jpg

:D

Hi Rob,

Not so much a can of worms, really depends on when you wish to display your B 52D.

If during the Vietnam conflict, then:Either NMF upper/White lower, including some ARC Light missions OR

SEA camo/Black - LineBacker missions later ARC light missions -till last mission circa 1973

If Post Vietnam then SEA camo/Black till destruction (SALT treaty) or final retirement circa late 1983.

Any B 52 C/F/G/H post Vietnam conflict then Strategic SIOP camouflage (C's retired early 1970's, F's late 1970's)

Edit: Should mention that the C model only wore it a short time after returning to Con US

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1

It IS an attractive scheme on a BUFF, isn't it? I just used whatever Tamiya paints seemed closest on mine, and to hell with it:

Cheers,

Dean

HAHA well that is what I often do myself to be honest Just go with what looks right to my eye as sometimes call outs look a bit off to me.

That said when its a subject I am unfamiliar with its good to get an idea of what is considered right.

Cheers Dean.

Thanks The Dragonborn this is the scheme I want to do. The instructions say use box art as a guide !

http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/draw/b52d_sea.jpg

The green/green/tan over black is "SEA scheme".
Green/green/green tan over white was "SIOP scheme"

Grey/Green over grey was "Strategic Scheme"

Some H models wore FS36081 grey all over before going to FS36118 gunship grey all over.

SEA Scheme on a D was FS34159 green, FS34079 green, FS30201 tan over satin black. it was not the same SEA scheme as worn by TAC jets.

Paint chip numbers for different model paint makers I dont know, but they are the correct numbers for a D.

http://scalemodeldb.com/paintcharts/humbrol

Edited by ElectroSoldier
  • Like 1

Its subjective.
FS colours a split FS X-X-XXX

X- The finish

X- the basic colour group

XXX the spercific colour.

Anything that starts FS34 will be a green colour
Anything that starts FS30 will be a brown colour

The colour is a brown but it kinda looks green, on tactical jets it was a sandy tan, on the B-52D is was a washed out tan that almost looks green.

Boeing_B-52D-55-BO_(SN_55-0068)_061127-F

The colour over the cockpit glass is the tan in question.

In this photo with the H model in the forground wearing SIOP the D model looks like its the same tan colour as applied to the tactical jets

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Boeing-B-52H-Stratofortress/0703520/L/

Where are this photo of the B-52D and F-111E at Duxford clearly shows the two different colours together at the same time in the same light

Duxford_UK_Feb2005_american3.JPG

Like I said "SEA Scheme on a D was FS34159 green, FS34079 green, FS30201 tan over satin black." (same as in the link you posted)

That is what they actually wore during the Vietnam war.

Before the SEA scheme they wore the classic SAC Chrome dome scheme of Silver over white, as far as I can tell it wasnt NMF, it was silver paint. I believe only the F model wore chrome dome over black.

• Like 1

It IS an attractive scheme on a BUFF, isn't it? I just used whatever Tamiya paints seemed closest on mine, and to hell with it:

111buff6.jpg

buff2.jpg

Cheers,

Dean

Where did you get that photo from?

I mean the in flight jet.

Ive never seen a H wearing SEA before this!

Well thanks for the information great post and wonderful picks. I see what you mean now about the tan being decidedly sandy brown yet has a hint of green, Reminds me very much of HU26 but that's probably too light.

The lighter green looks very washed out with a very cyan tinge to it, As for the darker green that looks very drab.

Whatever it is its a very attractive scheme I wish they still painted them like that now.

Cheers Rob :)

Having seen the SEA scheme close up, I wouldn't say that the tan had any tinge of green.

Do you mean the TAC SEA scheme or the SAC SEA scheme ? The two use different colours and the "tan" of the SAC scheme is indeed a green in the FS system (FS 34201). The one used on the tactical aircraft is a proper brown (FS 30219) and this sure has no green tinge

FWIW FS 34201 is a Munsell Yellow - Y - and is the same tricky beast as the early Zero colour (often compared with FS 34201- FS 16350) which is sometimes described as "olive grey". The standard pigments for the FS value contain yellow and black pigments which cause a fugitive green cast. The Xtracolor paint is spot on.

It's in the same family of colour as RAF Hemp (Camouflage Beige) but darker and slightly greener. Just to confuse things it is also called "tan" in the USAF schematics, as is FS 30219.

Nick

• Like 1