Another 1/24 Airfix Typhoon; Really? I'm Back!

Hi George, I think I did it the way of the instructions, and was mighty pleased with how it lined up with the cockpit and wing roots.

But having left gluing the front end until later I didn't notice that the engine was too far forward for the front fuselage to reach.

Lesson learned: if it fits in one place it doesn't necessarily fit everywhere else. :)

BB

Billy,

I have learned that lesson only too well with this kit. You think you have everything lined up right, only to find out being off a couple of millimeters on one step has made a future step 4 pages further in the instructions almost impossible to do because of prior misalignment. I did a very careful dry fit with the completed fuselage and it looks like it will go on without too much trouble, but there will be issues at the front of the engine and where the fuselage frames are supposed to line up. I should have some pictures up either tonight or tomorrow morning of the ordeal.

• 2 weeks later...

Frustrating update! This is where I get irritated but do not know who to direct the irritation towards. This update is for affixing the fuselage to the wing section and the bottom fuselage insert to the fuselage. That’s it. I spent most of Sunday trying to get everything to line up. It went adequately and that is being kind. My confusion as to where to direct my irritation is I cannot tell if it is the kit tolerances that are slightly messed up; or I misaligned something about 20 steps ago and it is finally coming to bite me. Finally, it could be because I deviated from the kit instructions and rather than apply each half of the fuselage separately to the wing section as per the instructions, I glued the fuselage halves together and then joined the fuselage assembly to the wing section. Anyway, here are the results.

fuselagerepair1.jpg

fuselagerepair2.jpg

fuselagerepair3.jpg

fuselagerepair4.jpg

There are a few fit issues at the wing/fuselage join, but I think they can be sorted out fairly easily. Using my method and working the fuselage into place broke the fuselage join from the front of the cockpit forward and just directly behind the seat. From the rear canopy section back, the join remained solid. I fixed that by supergluing everything back together except the engine frame brace located at the front of the aircraft where the propeller assembly will fit. There is no way these two pieces are going together over the engine and working. I am also leaving the front bottom sections of the fuselage unattached as they might have to be adjusted when I put the lower radiator cover sections on. Next up is a very long bottom fuselage insert.

bottominsert1.jpg

Now, for the life of me, I am not sure why the kit design has this insert and the fuselage halves were not just made complete. This part was fun. First off, there is a nice little trap for the unwary. The placement of this part begins in step 149. Prior to fitting this insert, the instructions would have you glue a clear round section (of which I completely forgot to do of course. It will be remedied with Micro Krystal Klear.). This is fine. The instructions also have a second part to place in the rectangular hole with a caption it is for the landing gear up version.

bottominsert4.jpg

Now if it is for the landing gear up version, what is supposed to go there for the landing gear down version? If you jump over to step 228 you find this little slot is where the stirrup to step up onto the plane wing goes for the landing gear down version. So, if you plan to have the landing gear down with the stirrup to use to enter the plane, trash part I 52 in step 149.

Test fitting the lower fuselage insert revealed I had fit problems on the starboard wing side;

bottominsert2.jpg

The end of the insert that is near the tail wheel;

bottominsert3.jpg

I am not sure what caused the fit problems. I would suspect I got something slightly misaligned and that is why the insert is not sliding into place. I narrowed down the starboard wing insert (sanding) so it would slide into place. I then sanded the end of the insert so it would fit next to the tail wheel. I sanded off a bit more than was needed. Finally, I found two tabs along the insert that are supposed to mesh with the fuselage halves that were not meshing but rather hitting each other preventing the insert from mating with the fuselage halves. I cut a small portion of each tab and the insert was now ready to go. Final test fitting revealed the insert fit great at some points down the fuselage halves, was too wide at other points; and finally was too narrow in sections. I broke out the superglue and glued each side of the insert separately so I could manhandle the fuselage to force it to mate with the insert. I was sorta successful.

bottominsert5.jpg

bottominsert6.jpg

I am not looking forward to the placement of the engine and radiator panels. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised, but I think not. First though, I have to fix the seams along the fuselage. I do not think it will be too much trouble; we will see. As always, all comments welcome.

• Like 3

That kit looks like a right handful to put together. I'm glad I don't build stuff that big as my patience would be broken before getting this far. You are obviously made of stronger stuff though George and I think you're doing a great job of it.

Duncan B

• Like 1

sounds like you need to step away, have a drink (or two, or three) then come back again with a fresh mind.

*** edited*** Sometimes a change is as good as a rest. I know I felt that way with the Dauphin, and starting the Islander as a diversion from the Dauphin troubles worked out nicely

Edited by hendie
  • Like 2

Roll up, Roll up.

Watch George bring WWE to the modelling world!

What, model wrestling???;-)

Now that you mention it; doesn't it seems sometimes after a particular trying day, with a trying model, you are worn out from doing battle with it? There are times when I have to stop as I am just done for the day and can't continue. So, yes, I am bringing "wressling" to the plastic masses brother! I will twist and turn you until you line up right; where your own model manufacturer won't even recognize you!! I will immerse you in hot water; I will sand you to a millimeter of your existence; then I will paint you up like the tart you are!! ARGHHHH!

• Like 3

Looks like you've had a few trials ( lawyer geddit?) with this one George, just think of it as practice for the other two. By the time you get to No3 you will be able to build it in a week, and that will include the 'car door' conversion!

I feel your pain?

John

• Like 2

Now that you mention it; doesn't it seems sometimes after a particular trying day, with a trying model, you are worn out from doing battle with it? There are times when I have to stop as I am just done for the day and can't continue. So, yes, I am bringing "wressling" to the plastic masses brother! I will twist and turn you until you line up right; where your own model manufacturer won't even recognize you!! I will immerse you in hot water; I will sand you to a millimeter of your existence; then I will paint you up like the tart you are!! ARGHHHH!

George is now running round the room in spandex showing off his muscles and jumping off the sofa while shouting "piledriver" the tiffy don't stand a chance!!:-D

• Like 2

A word of advice, when you get to the undercarriage, make sure you reinforce the legs, otherwise they might collapse.

Don't ask how I know.

BB

Did they already collapse on you?

I said don't ask. :)

Yes I was doing a bit of weathering on the top of the wings and one of them collapsed.

I must say when I put them on I was a bit surprised that the real thing were so slender.

I presume that Airfix got the scale right, but their method of connecting them to the stubs is the weak point if you don't get everything tight as a tight thing.

BB

• Like 1

Duly noted. I don't think SAC has made a replacement set yet. I guess it will be drilling out and reinforcing with rod or I wonder if a 1/32 spitfire strut would work?

All mighty Lord, give me patience and luck when i'll get there ...

Eric

I think I sussed out my problem.

Obvious stuff I suppose, but I didn't clean off the paint from all the surfaces on the leg and the stub it goes onto.

I've cleaned it all up to make sure ALL the surfaces inside and out on the joins match up and will glue together properly.

It should hold then, but I still think the legs are a bit wobbly for the weight of the thing.

BB

• Like 1

Two points:

It is very difficult to get the rear fuselage halves in the right place if you assemble them first as they won't fit over the rear oval frame on the cockpit tubing because of the intrusion if the handhold moulding on the inside.

You have to omit a large number of engine parts to get the cowling support hoops to join up.

Peter

• Like 1

Peter,

I had to eliminate one of the parts (assembly step 63) to get the support hoop closet to the cockpit to join. As for the support hoop next to the propeller assembly, I am leaving that undone as the front of the fuselage until I get all of the engine and radiator panels aligned. I am seriously wondering if the engine assembly should be moved backwards a bit from where it is situated as per the kit moldings. I may play with it as I just cut off the cross thingy that is supposed to slide into the firewall and the engine is just resting in its mounting slots; it is not glued in. I may experiment. Also, if I can figure out how to glue the exhausts to the engine covers, I may remove the engine entirely and have it separately displayed. Decisions, decisions.

• Like 1

Contrary to what some other people said, I managed to get the "cross thingy" installed no problem.

But I wonder if that resulted in the engine being too far forward.

Does the very front part of your fuselage fit around the round assembly (assembly step 85) OK, or is the engine too far forward the way you have it at the moment?

BB

BB,

The front fuselage halves are just about even with the round assembly. However it looks from the instruction pictures the end of the fuselage halves need to be just past the round assembly. That's why they are still loose. I am about to start closing up the front engine section and radiator.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. I have finally got all of the seams done on the fuselage and the wings.

wingroot1.jpg

wingroot2.jpg

fuselageseam1.jpg

This took longer than I thought as I wanted to preserve as much of the surface detail as I could. There was one place on the fuselage that did not fit too well and took some care to fix. After I prime the kit, I’ll see how well I did on getting it fixed. Now I have to get these parts . . .

noseparts1.jpg

To all merge together and fit like a glove around the engine and radiator assembly. I think the key here is to determine which one of these parts will be my reference to align all of the rest as the each part ties into another two. After looking at the kit, the instructions and the parts I think this assembly will be my focal point.

noseparts2.jpg

It is the chin assembly that covers the radiator. Out of all of the parts, this one has the most positive location of where it should be situated. Hopefully, if I get this aligned correctly, the rest of the nose parts will just fall into place with no filler or fiddling necessary. And, soon after, the tooth fairy will pay me a visit and leave all the money she should have left when I was growing up and didn’t find under my pillow! As always, all comments are welcome.

• Like 5