Another 1/24 Airfix Typhoon; Really? I'm Back!

I too am currently building this. I've noticed that some parts are actually a bit too short; did anyone else find this?

I've spent absolutely ages building the framework in the cockpit (been working on it 5+ hours a day since christmas... got over 15 different layers in there, and I'm still not happy!) and either a few parts are too long (easy fix), or others are too short (impossible to fix)

Other than that, I'm loving this kit; especially the plastic. I absolutely love this soft, super flexible plastic. At least now I'm not constantly worried that it'll crack. Also, it absolutely loves Tamiya Extra Thin, melts it down like a dream!

Oh, and except for the moulding seam lines absolutely everywhere.

• Like 1

Jakey,

I really didn't notice parts being too short or two long in the framework/cockpit stage. There were some tight fits, but everything seemed to fit well. I can tell you to be extra careful in lining things up correctly. Just a bit off on the alignment of parts at the beginning stages will come back to cause you much grief in the latter stages when it is too late to correct. The kit is not forgiving when it comes to part misalignment. Treat it like a short run kit and fit everything at least twice before committing to glue.

And, the seam lines and injection marks are a pain. Finally, this kit likes to have the panels all open. If you want to have this kit buttoned up, be prepared for some puttying and sanding. Overall, though it is a great kit; enjoy the heck out of it!

• Like 1

Thanks guys! It was my last day of the holidays today so probably no more modelling for a little while:(

This is actually going to be the first ever aircraft I'll have completed - I am new to the hobby and I'm really not very good. I've only ever completed a couple of MBT's/AFV's. I've started and got half way through too many kits though, lol.

The framework isn't complete yet, any suggestions/advice? Always much appreciated.

Here's what I've done so far (chronological order)

Alcad Gloss Primer

Alclad Aqua Gloss

Alclad Polish Aluminium

Alclad Dull Alum

Alclad Dark Alum

Rubbed on some True Metal in some areas (only a tiny amount!)

Vallejo Chipping Medium

Tamiya XF-71 Cockp Green (I originally was going to keep it NMF but my ADH book "How to Build the 1/24 Airifix Typhoon" says to paint it cockpit green... so I took advantage of my Alclad base!)

Used Water for chipping (massively over-did it!)

Dry Brushed Mr Metal Aluminium over some areas to liven it up (the Alclad base was a bit too dark)

Vallejo Acrylic Umber Wash in small corner

Winsor + Newton Indian Ink Wash

Humbrol Rust Wash Dry Brushed

(About to do) Vallejo Matt Varnish

I've massively over done it imo. I hate it; I always try and over-perfect things and end up over doing it and I don't like the end result. Any tips guys? Thanks!

Also, if anyone needs any references or parts - I can take a couple of photos of the new book I bought on how to build this baby.

Also, as someone with chronic back and foot pain, I rush a lot of things sometimes because I have to bend over and it kills me, so that makes it even harder lols.

Pics (they do not do it justice AT ALL, btw).

Gsve0gJ.jpg

MIS6zx5.jpg

Cyp2HoD.jpg

RehBJmX.jpg

Pictures make it look even worse! lol

I'm also regretting not getting rid of those ejector pin marks, they're absolutely horrible now.

Edited by Jakey
  • Like 3

Eh wot, did I miss something interesting there? I hate to miss out on comely maidens.

Hey, you just have to keep up with this group. You know how I do wonder about a topic and thread. At least I try and keep the hijacks to my own threads now. (See posts 394-396 I think)

Jakey,

I am baffled by the colors the interior is supposed to be. I am so far from being an expert on the Typhoon, it is laughable. But the people on this site that do know a lot about Typhoons seem to have reached a consensus the interior should be silver tubing with perhaps black walls from the top of the cockpit to the tubing level and then interior green. My next version of this will have a mostly silver interior. If you have a reference that states the interior should be green, I think you have done a good job representing a well worn interior green finish. My rule of thumb for weathering that I try to follow, but sometimes don't is if I think it probably needs just a little more, DON'T, it probably doesn't. I like your interior, you should too.

Jakey,

I am baffled by the colors the interior is supposed to be. I am so far from being an expert on the Typhoon, it is laughable. But the people on this site that do know a lot about Typhoons seem to have reached a consensus the interior should be silver tubing with perhaps black walls from the top of the cockpit to the tubing level and then interior green. My next version of this will have a mostly silver interior. If you have a reference that states the interior should be green, I think you have done a good job representing a well worn interior green finish. My rule of thumb for weathering that I try to follow, but sometimes don't is if I think it probably needs just a little more, DON'T, it probably doesn't. I like your interior, you should too.

Hiya, sorry I hijacked your thread! I am also no rivet counter, I don't have the time, energy or money to let a tiny flaw in a kit cost me £20-40 photoetch and resin or make me not buy a kit. I'm happy if I have fun, enjoy the build and it looks good!

The book I have has very few (helpful) references really, which is a shame considering it cost me £12 for 2 pages of references and a short walkthrough of the entire build - bit disappointed really; I won't be buying ADH Publishing books again. I will, however, buy this kit again! Absolutely fab!

Anyway, these are the references I have, which only show that the wing structures are definitely that interior/cockp green.

8Geo261.jpg

S0fKuVg.jpg

uWB5Sjz.jpg

Edited by Jakey
  • Like 1

Jakey,

George, Jakey,

mine is "mostly silver interior" but my next version will be interior green. Following my understanding, the consensus came from the only remaining Typhoon...But, and I am not an expert at all, for what I've seen in books or on the net, most aircraft are painted in green, so why not the Typhoon ?

I found some pictures of the Tempest, and they are interior green, so once again, why not the Typhoon ?

After 2 weeks holidays, I am looking forward to restart and continue the building of my Typhoon

Cheers

Eric

• Like 1

cowlfinish3.jpg

Hiya, it looks like you had the same problem as me in that the cowlings don't wrap around the big round thing ( sorry I don't know what it's called), because the engine is too far forward by a mm or 2. I resorted to ripping out the engine and shaving bits off to force it back a bit.

BB

• Like 1

Billy, its good to see you still checking in!! Yes, that area is still perplexing me a bit. I am not sure what I will do. I have built the propeller and it goes on fairly well, but I don't like the gap that exists. On my list of things to do to get this puppy finished with my sanity intact.

• Like 1

Billy, its good to see you still checking in!! Yes, that area is still perplexing me a bit. I am not sure what I will do. I have built the propeller and it goes on fairly well, but I don't like the gap that exists. On my list of things to do to get this puppy finished with my sanity intact.

Maybe sand down the cowlings gradually where they will meet the propeller so that there won't be a "step"?

Easier than ripping out the engine like I did.

Stick at it mate, it's worth it in the end.

BB

• Like 1

Just thinking about what you meant with the "gap", couldn't you cut out a circle "shim" to glue between the front of the cowlings and the propeller?

BB

That is not a bad idea and very simple too! I like that. Thanks.

Am currently building the same kit. Am currently at the stage of adding all the pipe work etc to the engine. Am enjoying the build but am getting fed up of having to sand or use a scalpel to scrape off very prominent seam lines on nearly every single part. Having build 1/32 scale aircraft from eduard and Tamiya, I have never known a kit that needs so much tidying up before you even attach the part (I was also surprised at the amount of flash on small parts for such a new kit). I don't think i would be tempted to build another one (which is a shame as it is an impressive model when it is built).

• Like 1

Pagey,

There is a lot of cleanup on the parts, be it seam lines, injection marks or flash. It is an irritant to me also and destroys some of the fun of building this beast. The kit is impressive, but takes some work getting there. I have begun dealing and photos will be on the way.

Hi,

"Filling & sanding = Hammering in pitons to get to the top." said Pete from Riyadh

He is right, it must be the price to pay to build such a kit...

and when it becomes too boring, jump for a while on another one, just like I did. I am building the Typhoon since late August, in between, I have worked on a FW 190 from Tamiya, a D9R from Meng, a Stug IV from Dragon, but I am pleased to come back to the Airfix Typhoon, it's such a GREAT kit anyway.

Cheers

Eric

• Like 1

Rackham,

I agree it is a good kit. I also agree with taking breaks from it. Since I started this kit I have probably completed at least 5 other kits and started another one. When you come back from a break, it gives a different perspective to this kit and you appreciate its massiveness and the hard work that went into making it. I figure I have about 2 weeks more on it before it gets finished.

• Like 2