Optivisor

dhdove

:lol: No - they are a pigment of my imagination. One of the perks of having the keys to the forum :wicked:

Yes, they're great if you mean the swing-arm pivots? Very firm, but maybe tweak them every now and again just to make sure. One of mine fell off once, but I found all the parts. They have a sprung washer keeping them tight, which makes the job easier. If you mean the lock that holds the band in position to match the size of your scone, that's superb. Never had cause to mess with it in 6 or more years, even though the Boy likes to play with it when he visits me in the workshop :)

Thanks Mike

Yes, the visor pivots, that's good news.

Hmmmm sprung washer.....I can feel a mod coming on......

TonyS

Maybe that's why you pay more than twice as much for an Optivisor? If their design is of better quality and proves to be robust then I'd say it's worth the extra money, even if it is more than double.....you're only going to buy once after all. I suspect I'll end up buying twice before I'm done.

Perhaps an Optivisor owner could comment?

One happy Optivisor owner here: I think it's one of those items where you can pay more to buy a good make which will last until you a lifetime or you can pay less for a model that may not be as well made.

Tony,

I got my visor years ago. I tried finding the name on it, but it has worn off. I use it almost 100% of the time. It just seems to make everything easier. I even use it for decal application. (Why do they keep making the numbers smaller on decal sheets as I get older!). You will not regret this purchase. As for the pivot up and down action, I think it is every visor's weak spot.

I can add a bit more weight to the argument for glass lenses (I have an Optivisor and can't do anything without it now (modelling-wise that is - I don't wear it to Tescos)

One night I closed up my modelling desk/cabinet and unwittingly knocked over a bottle of CA. When I opened the cabinet a few days later everything plastic had been attacked by the fumes and had a white permanent residue. Cutting mat, plastic tubs, etc etc and the head band and visor of my Optivisor but not the lenses! I can still use the Optivsor but it would have been written off with plastic lenses.

I am more cautious with my CA now, especially as it near ran as far as the kit I was/still am painstakingly fettling.

Edited by NickR

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm hoping to finish my 1/48 grumman Panther tomorrow and I've used my new magnifying visor for the whole build.

It's great!

I accept it hasn't got glass lenses and I am being careful not to damage the plastic lenses, but otherwise I'm sold.

If any of you feel that you can't quite see as much as you want to (or as much as you used to!) this is definitely the way to go.

I can see things now I've never seen before!

Five stars!

TonyS

• 3 months later...

I have just been looking on Amazon France to buy an Optivisor, I see I can get a 2,75 ,x 6" for 28€, or a 2 x 10", for 27€, which seems to be half the price of Amazon UK. However for some strange reason the 2,5 x 8" is 178€ , so that puts that one out of the question.

If I go for the 2,75 one is the 6" depth of field rigid, or is there a couple of inches extra either way?. I go along with Mike, been told nothing else compares to them .

http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=optivisor

• 2 weeks later...