Airfix Folland Gnat 1/72

And another of Nomore Shelfspace's enthusiastic but basic builds, the new Airfix Folland Gnat in trainer colours. (You know what I'm going to say next... I built the original one, bagged, silver grey plastic, 2/6d from Woolworth's, about twelve parts, stuck together without painting, promptly thrown across the garden, etc.!). Nice kit, although getting the over complex underside insert to fit was a minor nightmare. Also the underwing tanks and air intakes needed a lot of filling and sanding - I think Airfix's new CAD designers are very clever, but I wonder if they actually build the kits they design?... apart from that I can only admire the huge amount of detail they've packed in to such a tiny model.

The alu areas are a bit too grey, my fault.

The dayglo areas were sprayed over a white base - I used Humbrol acrylic for the dayglo, this stuff is so translucent it needed most of a pot to cover this tiny area!

One thing I missed before I took the photo, the lower edge of the windscreen hasn't been painted properly. I corrected that after the photo. There's also some cement bloop visible - not correctable unfortunately!

PLIMG_0533smlr.jpg

• Like 13

Despite your struggles it is together and looking very neat. - any more pics?

I really enjoyed building mine and have another to go for in the "Bedford" raspberry ripple and dayglo scheme though I agree that the complexity of the kit does throw the odd, challenging fit problem. Apart from the tanks, I found the wing fit over the intakes to be the most annoying.

Anyway, good job there sir!
BTW - what silver did you use?

ATB
Rick

Despite your struggles it is together and looking very neat. - any more pics?

I really enjoyed building mine and have another to go for in the "Bedford" raspberry ripple and dayglo scheme though I agree that the complexity of the kit does throw the odd, challenging fit problem. Apart from the tanks, I found the wing fit over the intakes to be the most annoying.

Anyway, good job there sir!

BTW - what silver did you use?

ATB

Rick

Thanks, the other photos are just of the other side... but I will upload some. I used Humbrol flat alu and light grey, a bit of a mistake...

Another photo or one.

PLIMG_0535.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely! My experience with real dayglo orange was that it has absolutely abysmally poor covering power and needed about umpteen coats, so the model paint you used is obviously totally authentic! Beautiful result you got there though.