Airfix 1/24 Tropical Spitfire Vb - USAAF Tunisia 1943

I've had an urge to build one of these for many years after seeing one built up in the Malta War Museum as a kid. Finally took the plunge and here it is. Initially, it was a little daunting with it's industrial qualities as I'm sure you understand if you've built one of these, but despite getting RSI from all the sanding and filling, I'm quite pleased with it! I purposely used the external armoured windscreen as I wasn't too happy with the shape of the correct part, but I never noticed the reversed camo scheme on a picture of the real aircraft as I followed the Airfix instructions which are wrong (Thanks for TonyOT for pointing this out, but I decided to leave it as it is). I also made a boo boo on the alignment of the wing roundel, but Theanorak73 has kindly offered to help me out with a replacement as it is too obvious to leave as it is. The only real issue I came across was the fitting of the tropical intake as rather than replacing the original part, its designed to fit over the top of it. Much filling was necessary to tidy this area up. Paint was Gunze Dark Earth & Mid Stone with Xtracylic Azure underneath. Weathering is a combination of a panel wash, oils and pastels. No aftermarket was used, any extras were scratch built. You can see the build HERE.

The aircraft:

ER120 / VF-D was an aircraft operating with the 5th GS / 52FG over Tunisia. It suffered flak damage on the 9th april 1943 whilst in combat over Kairouan, Tunisia with Eugene Steinbrenner at the controls, and force landed. Fortunately it was recovered and repaired

spacer.png

Hope you like the old beast!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edit - fin flash overpaint and new decal applied to the upper wing, thanks to Crag (theanorak73)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking :)

Neil

• Like 49

Another superb spitfire .Funny how we modellers never get bored with its beautiful outline and I presumed there are more spitfire kits than anything else in the scale modelling world.Hopefully in the very near future,someone will release an excellent mk.xvi and mk.xviii.The missing links as I called it.Great work woody.

Very nice work - I really like what you have done. How did you get on with the tyres - mine are full of flash.

Cheers

RichardC

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Richard, I rubbed mine against the cutting board under a lot of pressure (like you would with an eraser). I tried all sorts, but this achieved the best result! Mine were full of flash too.

Cheers

That's lovely Neil, it scrubs up well for a 40-odd year old kit. I love the desert camo and the worn effect you've acheived on it.

Maybe I'll get that Airfix 1/24 109 out of the stash, and do it as a fun build....

Cheers

John

• Like 1

What a stunner! A beautiful finish and to my eye your weathering is excellent - not over done and very much in scale :)

Tom

I think this is amazing.

The thing for me is the beautiful finish with the restraint in the weathering.

The balance to my eye is perfect and I think it shows an incredible amount of skill.

Congratulations...I think you have produced a remarkable example of the aircraft in a demanding and challenging scale.

That is truly inspiring and I take my hat off to you

Edited by Winenut
  • Like 1

Superb bit of modelling that one is! Woody, you've done a fantastic job on the old gal, and she looks fantastic! You've hit the weathering balance right on the head, and when you've got such a big canvas, it takes a good deal of artistic restraint to stop trying to weather everything. Were you working from a good set of reference photos?

Now all I have to do is figure out how to transfer that down to 1:72 on my next Spitfire build! I'd better bookmark this one so I can refer to it often! :):):)

Cheers,

Bill