Airfix 1/48 F2/F6 Lightning - F6 5Squadron

Hi all

Finally got my first 1/48 Frightening finished today. It's been a decent build tho I struggled big time with the canopy. It didn't seem to fit, so I filed it "a bit" then it definitely didn't fit so had to build it up again, a new experience! Also tried Revell Contacta Clear to secure the canopy, didn't work for me......tried plastic cement (runny) not much better, gave in and used superglue, worked great and then misted the canopy DOH!

WHAT IS the best adhesive for canopies???

66a6f7ab95da96e75c709cf846188ae7.jpg

Lots of stencils which I actually quite enjoyed doing tho it took some time. They give a great effect I think.

520be6f8ec562531a1803d49dc1bc6bd.jpg

Tried some new techniques too.

Pre shaded panel lines.......and then put too much top colour on and nearly obscured the shading!

994cf51c6998111fff7e5d4e94b03235.jpg

Drilled out the port and starboard nav lights and then painted the inside with Tamiya Clear colours, I'm really pleased with this.

55df8a1538cf83c3bdfa1568fbbbea90.jpg

I tried Bare Metal Chrome foil for the first time on the intake ring and was happy with the very shiny result, certainly better than any paint, tho I did get a couple of small creases in it trying to fold it around the complex shape.

0937267693ded70b013db3b3de037c1d.jpg

I sorry to say that a couple of very tiny aerials got lost to the carpet muncher........

17b597922860a07eba6a9ba0b3b89cd7.jpg

The colour scheme is not exactly as per the instructions, Barley Grey/ Light Aircraft Grey demarcation is low on the fuse at the wiring trunking, gun pack is silver with black lines. This came from pics of this aircraft in "Lightning" Ian Black, Airlife Publishing". I think this scheme was just prior to the airframes retirement?

cfeb6f8ada3be7476617468efa01a88c.jpg

It's taken me a while to complete and isn't relevant to my theme of US Navy jets from the Cold War, but the Lightning is my all time fave aircraft and brings back very happy memories of Mildenhall in it's heyday.

828411964134295e92230f7baca37c77.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Criticism is very welcome, please be gentle!

There's still a 1/48 Airfix F1/F3 in the stash which I salted away years ago, saving that for a gorgeous 56 Squadron Firebirds build at some point in the future :-)

Next Up

Monogram 1/48 F9F-5 Panther kit..... circa 1989........?

Less bits than the lightning!

TonyS

Edited by dhdove
  • Like 5

There are plenty of articles on canopies, but quick answer would be to dip the thing in Jonhnsons "klear" (a liquid floor polish) now called Pledge Multi surface wax. It stops the fogging also try PVA glue that doesn't fog and wipes off with a wet cotton bud.

Nice finish you can never have too many Lightnings.

Regards

Piggy

Canopy is a good fit on these, so you must have done something wrong. I stick my canopies on with Johnsons Klear, works a treat. Just hold the canopy in place and with a very small brush place a couple of drops around the frame, they will flow in by capillary action, leave it for a while and job done, ready for painting.

I dip my canopies in aqua gloss then just use Tamiya Extra thin to wick glue it to the model. Doesn't fog and is a rock solid join. CA Debonder will remove the fogging I believe, Arkady mentioned it in the past.

Nice build though, I'm going to have to try that Chrome foil when I do my EE lightning!

Canopy is a good fit on these, so you must have done something wrong. I stick my canopies on with Johnsons Klear, works a treat. Just hold the canopy in place and with a very small brush place a couple of drops around the frame, they will flow in by capillary action, leave it for a while and job done, ready for painting.

Vonkey Kong

You may well be right, my efforts to date are somewhat hamfisted and impatient. I just like to get it finished!

But, the fuse halves went together fine, when I came to dry fit the canopies the meeting face between front (fixed) and rear (opening) canopies didn't line up.

Sooooo I decided to shave a little off here and there......unfortunately this made things worse! So I then had to graft some scrap onto the rear opening canopy and reshape. This worked out better than I expected!

In any event, it's now on my display cabinet and I'm moving on!

00eb82408dc4a6d9eb9c14be9bbd44f8.jpg

I'm not a great modeller, just an enthusiastic one, returning to a wonderful hobby, however, I do love to post here as there is always a gem of an idea in the responses that I can use in my next build. Your suggestions re canopy fixing much appreciated.

Hopefully as time goes by the quality will improve!

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my return to the hobby very much :-)

TonyS

Edited by dhdove

I dip my canopies in aqua gloss then just use Tamiya Extra thin to wick glue it to the model. Doesn't fog and is a rock solid join. CA Debonder will remove the fogging I believe, Arkady mentioned it in the past.

Nice build though, I'm going to have to try that Chrome foil when I do my EE lightning!

Vonkey Kong

You may well be right, my efforts to date are somewhat hamfisted and impatient. I just like to get it finished!

But, the fuse halves went together fine, when I came to dry fit the canopies the meeting face between front (fixed) and rear (opening) canopies didn't line up.

Sooooo I decided to shave a little off here and there......unfortunately this made things worse! So I then had to graft some scrap onto the rear opening canopy and reshape. This worked out better than I expected!

In any event, it's now on my display cabinet and I'm moving on!

00eb82408dc4a6d9eb9c14be9bbd44f8.jpg

I'm not a great modeller, just an enthusiastic one, returning to a wonderful hobby, however, I do love to post here as there is always a gem of an idea in the responses that I can use in my next build. Your suggestions re canopy fixing much appreciated.

Hopefully as time goes by the quality will improve!

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my return to the hobby very much :-)

TonyS

Hi Tony,

The main thing with this hobby is to enjoy it, and it sounds like you do. Dont wory about how your models turn out, we all have good and bad days and like you say someone will always come up with an idea that might just help you to move your modeling along.

Happy modeling.

Good job!

I have used Clear Fix in the past, as well as normal pva, revell canopy contacta, Microscale Klear, and my current fave is Glue n Glaze. Works a treat. But yes I also recommend a dip in Klear before anything else, you'll have no fogging problems.

• 7 months later...

....I struggled big time with the canopy. It didn't seem to fit, so I filed it "a bit" then it definitely didn't fit ...

Haha! Yeah I've certainly been there before :) She looks great though, a very fine model, top work!

• Like 1