07 08 2014

I can't remember if I put my name down for this but if time and University permits, I'd like to sign up for it, There are a couple of prjects I need to crack on with and this GB would be perfick! :)

Liam

RAF wise - whats the opinion on the correct colour for the undersurfaces (PR Blue Hu230 is on the Airfix call out)??

That's what the Eagle Strike decals call for as well. I've ordered some Humbrol so I'll see if it's ok when I get it (I don't want to muck up a perfectly fine model with duff paint!)

07 08 2014

I can't remember if I put my name down for this but if time and University permits, I'd like to sign up for it, There are a couple of prjects I need to crack on with and this GB would be perfick! :)

Liam

That's fine Liam, just start when you're ready. :)

Sean

• Like 1

RAF wise - whats the opinion on the correct colour for the undersurfaces (PR Blue Hu230 is on the Airfix call out)??

Yes if its RAFG, home based ones were HS Silver undersides with a different demarcation line up front.

Julien

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I am not a contender in this GB, but here are some pictures of two of my build Sabre's. See it as some inspiration for this GB.

Although I don't think you guys will need it.

This is the Airfix 1/72 Sabre.

imagejpg2_zps4e358d54.jpgimagejpg1_zpsce686753.jpg

This is the Revell 1/48 F-86D converted to a F-86K Kaasjager. The model was changed with some scratchbuilding.

The wings are from a late Hasegawa F-86.

imagejpg3_zps998bedcd.jpgimagejpg4_zps41f0e534.jpg

Have fun with this build.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Hi Tim, it is indeed with silver on the underside.

I think I have used some Gunze Chrome or silver for that.

It hase been 2 years ago that I builded it.

So you can hear my brain cracking. :owww::boom::rofl:

Cheers,

• Like 1

HiAll,

With regards the USAF type metal Sabres, I am thinking of doing a 1/72, my real Q is do you klear over the paint before decalling, seal with clear, weather etc....what is your final coat?

I would airbrush paint (planning humbrol enamel (maybe Alclad 2 beyond me yet?), klear (unless using Xtracolour), decal, microsol/set, klear to seal, florys, weathering with oils/thinners etc, the matt cote using Humbrol.....now if I have a shiny aluminium aircraft, what should I use for my final coat.....gloss, satin, matt??? Also what brands you recommend....don't want to ruin a good build by getting it wrong....

My other Q - I have a F86F-30 withe the 6-3 Wing and fence (Academy 1/48) with the Sabre Part 3 Decals from Eagle Strike (3-92 Sqns care of Julien - thanks!), I notice all are non 6-3 wings....! Now where do I stand, do I have to find decals with the 6-3 wings? I was given some bit parts fom PT1 and Pt 2, with only a 112Sqn showing a wing fence....and typically the only the 4 Sqn AC on PT1 does not have a wing fence, even though its stated on the forum that all 4 Sqn did have....help!!

I know this has been covered in depth elsewhere, I have read that all 4 Sqn

Thanks in advance.

Also the 3 Sqn AC XB984 on PT3 shows a wing fence, but the stencilling guide says not needed on these AC ( walkways)......also if I was to do this AC, any ideas of what green to use to match the tail decal!!???

To top it all the Decal instructions state that all RAF Sabres ended up with a 6-3 wing - giving me carte blanche to use any decal...??!! Photo references are few and far between of AC with available decals!

Edited by Tim Moff

The 6-3 wing was fitted to pretty much all RAF Sabres at some point in their lifespan. It depends on the time period in which you want to portray the aircraft. I'll go check my references for XB984. :)

Sean

• Like 1

XB984 had the 6-3 wing fitted when it was manufactured and would also have had the wing fence. As for the green, a bottle green maybe? I'm not sure though.

HTH

Sean

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

whats everyones opinions with regards the beige painted area on the nose that is shown on the Airfix RAF 1/72 instructions?

The model decal and Eagle strike sets do not show this.......I am not sure wether I should go black with my 2 AC?

But this ref of my build shows it (not on the modeldecal instructions though....)

9_24.jpg

My 1/48 STGB was built by Bill before and shows a full black nose cone:

Copy2ofPicture353.jpg

Answers on a post card would be appreciated! Am still awaiting the RAF Sabres book!

Is it the 1/48th one Giorgio? I've been waiting what seems like years for it to be released.

It's the 1/72 one, old news. It's quite a nice kit although not 100% accurate, particularly in the wing.

whats everyones opinions with regards the beige painted area on the nose that is shown on the Airfix RAF 1/72 instructions?

The model decal and Eagle strike sets do not show this.......I am not sure wether I should go black with my 2 AC?

But this ref of my build shows it (not on the modeldecal instructions though....)

My 1/48 STGB was built by Bill before and shows a full black nose cone:

Answers on a post card would be appreciated! Am still awaiting the RAF Sabres book!

That area is made of fibreglass on the real Sabres. As such it can be found painted black, painted in the camo colours or left unpainted. In this case the colour can vary from a light grey to a beige, a tan and a darker brown. I've seen pictures of RAF Sabres with the area in beige, however I've not checked yet any picture of your aircraft to confirm what it was like on this one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning

When I finish my Spit XIV I would like to join this Gb with a Hobbycraft F 86 if it is Ok ? I would like to build an aircraft of the Korean war (I had not enough time to take part to this Gb ..) ..

Patrice

Sean, can I jump in last minute please mate? I have just realised that I have a Sabre sat in my spray booth waiting to be built!

Welcome along. The more the merrier! :D

Sean

• 3 weeks later...