HMS Warspite 1/350 Keel has been Laid

Well after many a moon away from the workbench I have decided to return and to tackle a group build since i really enjoyed the last one i did, WAY back in 2012 9HMS King George V, see the Sig)

So I've decided to do HMS Warspite because i happen to have a Trumpeter kit in the stash and because she is pretty much the most epic ship in the Royal Navy, EVER!

So firstly heres a picture of what I'm hoping to achieve

Operation_Overlord_%28the_Normandy_Landi

Im planning of heavily weathering the ship to make her properly dirty

so heres Obligatory opening shot

14542194547_8b42428830_b.jpg

Now as I said this is the Trumpeter kit, unfortunately I'm not learning that almost ALL the upgrade kits available for Warspite are meant for the Academy model, I'm not overly fussed about the guns/PE, that will fit either with some minot fettling, but its the decks which might prove to be a pain, so I'm currently researching if i any of the currently upgrade kits will fit this model, if not I might just buy the Academy kit and look to sell on the Trumpeter kit later, anyway thats a Job for tomorrow

Till next time

:hobbyhorse:

Edited by AndyP

Looking forward to this like the others.

Having just finished up her sister by Trumpy, the Q.E, I can tell you there ARE decks available from Hunter that do this kit. I got one for the Q.E, & although not without its little trials, Fitted like a glove & improved the look of what I could have achieved no end....

It also came with some decent anchor chain & some PhotoEtch to replace cable reels & the breakwater! Looking on EvilBay now, i see the Warspite set has no breakwater: Bummer....

For railings, I've ordered a set of generic R.N rails by FlyHawk on EvilBay, & when they get here, i'll see how badly i can mangle em!

I left the main guns alone. I liked the blastbag look & cannot work out how to reproduce the same effect on aftermarket barrels. AFAIK, there are no barrels that are for "blastbag included" replacement.

On a side note, Does that price sticker say £29.99??? Shirley knot!!!

• Like 1

So not much of an update other than to say ive decided to stick with the Trumpeter kit since a) i really cba to go and Buy a whole new kit for the GB (I have enough in the stash as it is and really cant start doubling up! lol) and B) having just brought a Metal Replica PKD Blade Runner Blaster AND Proton Pack kit i really don't have the money to be throwing around, So I've ordered a Wood deck from HLJ and Ill be ordering some Brass Barrels and White Ensign generic PE and hope to make a start this week on the Hull, ill be water-lining her and setting in a seascape like i did with KGV.

Fortunately since Im representing her at D-Day the 6inch guns had been plated over so wont need to source them, and the Walrus had been removed and Catapult plated over hah, so a bit less to worry about.

And Yes Prowler, I paid £29.99 for the kit in the Wonderland Models sale, I also got the Dreadnought for £19 ;)

Till next time

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the proverbial keel has been laid, the Hull halves have been braced and glued together and the Quarterdeck attached, Ill be water-lining the ship once ive decided how i want to present her in the sea, ill probably try something akin to what i did with KGV.

I also drilled all the scuttles on the Hull, i have the wood deck ordered but plan to get the hull into the "water" and painted before that arrives, ill also start on the sub assemblies for the superstructure too :)

14634025407_3f35e8c169_b.jpg

14633873970_4ed712f4c0_b.jpg

14840405803_80d12a1509_b.jpg

I know this kit gets a lot of stick for inaccurate hull shape, but since il be waterlining shouldn't be an issue, and its does go together really well so far, like most of my other Trumpeter kits

anyway

Till next time

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

So after being away for the last couple of weeks im back to get some work on Warspite done

Fortunately the Wood deck has arrived (yay) so with a little luck i can press on now and wont have to down tools while waiting for the deck to arrive :)

14823991420_7237b031ba_b.jpg

14824096627_6a8bef58fc_b.jpg

basically ive glued the decks down and 'plated over' the 4inch guns, since Warspite had these removed in 1944 after the Fritz-X attack, ive also started building the fwd super structure, its just dry fitted right now, will need to break out the filler to clean all that up but thats something to do tomorrow while watching the F1 :)

Till next time

• Like 3