AIRFIX 1/24th TYPHOON picture heavy

Okay, both models are simply incredible. B)

If I might offer a small critique, the invasion stripes look a bit too neat. The invasion stripes tended too look quite rushed, and I think it would be noticeable at this scale.

large.jpg

As said, this suggestion is only meant to add some information to an already highly informative thread, and they both look amazing as they are.

Edited by j_jza80

Thanks for the suggestion and it is a valid and well debated one.

In the case of model aircraft my opinion is that invasion stripes are one of those occasions where i do them wrong on purpose in order to make them look right... If that makes sense

I think it is very very difficult to get them 'realistic' enough and not make them look as if they have been done badly by accident , interestingly though there are as many shots of the invasion stripes perfect neatly done as there are of them brushed and white washed so i think either method is perfectly valid and just a preference of the modeller

• Like 2

fascinating and very impressively fast work.

A query, the gun bays, one one it's a brown colour, the other green?

AFAIK they should be aluminium like the rest of the interior, with brown leather on the inside of the bulges of the doors, like this

Typhoon_R8656_257_sq_FM_L_warmwell_1943.

a later shot, again, i think this is leather showing, but a point worth checking.

Typhoon_RCAF_1945_w_concert_party_women.

May I also point out how little paint chipping is visible, and the pale colour at the back of the spinner maybe the remains of the original sky paint.

more colour shots here https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=typhoon

Lots of little details you don't always spot in B/W

hope of interest, and of use to other builders reading this.

• Like 1

Maybe gone a little ott on the chips over the cam but thats the way we like it, as for chips on the invasion stripes, it wore very quickly

http://www.stickandthrottle.com/Hawker-Typhoon-Photo-8

Theres a superb sharp version of the image you posted directly above in the airfix typhoon mag supplement actually showing quite a few paint chips sharply and very very patchy worn paint

• Like 1

If I saw those in the flesh and was then told they took less than 10 days to build I would have not believed it. Much better finish than I could ever achieve!

These two builds are great. Makes it intimidating for the rest of us to follow. I hope you don't mind me stealing, I mean borrowing, some ideas? Just stunning work.

The build is here to inspire you guys and show off the kit.... If it makes you want to get on with yours or purchase one for your stash then job done....but I do hope you like the builds as well haha

These two builds are great. Makes it intimidating for the rest of us to follow. I hope you don't mind me stealing, I mean borrowing, some ideas? Just stunning work.

If you borrow an idea, how do you pay it back? :)

• Like 1

Two brilliant builds.

I notice the decals have not gone on well at all and are very wrinkley.

Do you think it is a problem with the decals or did you have an accident with them?

Did you apply them onto a matt or gloss finish?

Edited by VonkeyVong

Please excuse the decals the models prior to those photos had literally just been finished and the decals were still settling but they have gone down perfectly now I will post some photos later

Please excuse the decals the models prior to those photos had literally just been finished and the decals were still settling but they have gone down perfectly now I will post some photos later

Great news.

I initially was not going to buy one as I think airfix missed a trick by not making it in the more manageable 1/32 scale (the reason I did not buy the Mosquito). But having seen these builds go so well I think I am going to take the plunge.

corrected the doors thanks for pointing that out haha mms_img-330107313_zpseb3dcfa4.jpg

Lovely builds, they really do make you want to try one even if its not your scales or era - well done.

Regarding the inner doors just from an observers point of view but should the colour be Grey then white stripe rather than Black ? :coat: - Sorry

You are totally correct...as a few post ago we made the mistake of positioning the doors on the wrong side by accident...mine is ok as all grey underneath however it mean the invasion striped now do not match up...however we won't be correcting thisbto avoided any damage to models

But yes it should be grey haha

Just went through this start to finish!

On a quick look inside my boxing the only things I can see that after market guys might consider are the radiator mesh - not the matrix itself. This is a fine mesh but could be better replaced perhaps.

Done! (or have I misunderstood what you meant?)

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Just went through this start to finish!

Done! (or have I misunderstood what you meant?)

bob

Very nice indeed and an improvement - but I was actually referring to the outermost ones that were fitted in Northern France as a precaution against FOD from the rough airstrips. Parts D20 + D21.

Rich

...but I was actually referring to the outermost ones that were fitted in Northern France as a precaution against FOD from the rough airstrips. Parts D20 + D21.

See, I thought you meant something else! Thanks for the clarification.

bob