57 Sqn Victor K Mk2 XL163 circa 1983. 1/72 Revell (matchbox)

what a superb looking and well made model - thanks for sharing with us - it was a joy to spend time studying your work here - why don't we make nice looking big things like this for our RAF anymore?

Cheers (I don't! (Only because I've no space for another one!))

Good luck with your wish though!

You can get a 1/144 scale resin one from anigrand craft works. (Maybe not your thing)

Yeah I'd happily have a 1/144 scale Victor, but resin is probably a bit beyond my current skill set... I have heard a rumour that GWH are releasing a 1/144 Victor though? Might be tempted for that! Top model, again :)

Phil, cheers. (Yes it does ;-))

Gimme shelter, really thank you for your comments I appreciate them. I'm sorry I can't answer that, I'd guess because the age of true jet design is over! Computers do things different?

Val I'm not sure who GWH are? Oh yes maybe Great Wall Hobby! Silly me. I haven't actually bought an anigrand kit but I'm tempted, you normally get bonus kits in the box (practice runs) you definitely do with the victor there are four kits in the box I think. Once I've shifted some plastic, or more likely, when they are on offer! I may pick one up. 1/144 isn't a scale I've ever touched though. I like 1/72 or I did until I got an airbrush, some kits in 72nd seem a little small for the effort involved per colour with the spray gun. I've only finished one all resin kit, I've worked lots of part resin kits to READY FOR PAINT stage though and it isn't so tough. Warm water to remove distortions etc. superglue sandpaper and some two part epoxy. Then you are good to go. (Mind the dust, it is not so friendly)

michael301757, Seversky, mekon, Alex Gordon, Val, thank you all so much.

• Like 1

Gaw Blimey guvnor that's a cracker !

Really love what you done with this, bit worried about my lack of carpentry skills when I build my own, so might have to improvise with house bricks instead.

Cheers Pat

Gaw Blimey guvnor that's a cracker !

Really love what you done with this, bit worried about my lack of carpentry skills when I build my own, so might have to improvise with house bricks instead.

Cheers Pat

Cheers! Who said anything about skills?

You just need bigger tools that's all, I'm used to blu-tac and clothes pegs, this thing needed some HEAVY DUTY GEAR, bricks should do it! If all else fails hammer!

Seriously though look at some big clamps, mine was a bit distorted and needed a fair whack of oomph to get the body halves together, they were like bananas, the nose and tail touched but there was a good gap down the middle, fingers fit gap!

Some of the gap is still visible in the nose wheel well, I got most of it together but I couldn't close that bit, didn't fill it either, no excuses! How I built it was probably a bit backwards, I put the inboard wing halves together (spent time filling the bits at each stage) these were fitted to each half of the fuselage then I used the wheel wells for the main gear to squeeze the whole thing shut, the second mega clamp squeezed on at the intakes, I did my best to line the fuselage at the top and made good the bottom using filler.

The wing needed steaming too, I had to do this it was way warped. I should've used steam to help on the body but it went together in the end, steam from kettle, easy does it, make a T, have another blast, make another T etc. etc. then some more filling.

The tail section fin/stabilizers assembly is a pain, loads of filler, loads of sanding. After it looks ok I think.

If this one breaks I would definitely build another, it is a challenge but it is so rewarding when you can finally sit back and say, yep, I did that!

• Like 1

Cheers goggsy, it's my first go at this kit and this type. Glad you approve.

Cheers Norman. I love your sig quote!

Cheers mike, I think the glazing in the nose (bomb aimer position) should've been over painted but it reminds me of the origins of the aircraft. I'm still really pleased with this build, I had another look at it the other day, it hasn't lost any of its character whilst hiding in a drawer.

fallmonk, Pete in Riyadh, michael301757, Seversky, mekon, thank you all very much!

• 1 year later...

My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your ''Victor'. I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work together with the clean 'classical' appearance.She is a resplendent tribute to this majestic aircraft.All the best for the New Year,Paul.

• 5 weeks later...

Lovely build.

Inspiring me.

Would love to build this kit, bit daunted by the feedback on quality out of the box. Where are the main issues involved with the construction, as I'm looking on ebay for a quick purchase.

Paul.