In at the Deep End. Decided to build a large N gauge Layout

zero

Thanks for the information about DCC, when I last was interested in 'train sets' back in the late 60's/early 70's, my track was a simple oval with a home made controller, housed in a St Bruno tobacco tin that my father made, I'm guessing that things have moved on a little since then!

I'm more of a steam man rather than diesel and I had been thinking about OO/HO but may consider N gauge, is anyone aware of downfalls with the small gauge?

Dave, hope you don't mind me slightly side tracking your post...

Cheers, Tony

Other than the small size I don't think n gauge has any downfall that the larger scales don't.

The small size is more of a plus though as you can fit more into a given area.

Thanks for the information about DCC, when I last was interested in 'train sets' back in the late 60's/early 70's, my track was a simple oval with a home made controller, housed in a St Bruno tobacco tin that my father made, I'm guessing that things have moved on a little since then!

I'm more of a steam man rather than diesel and I had been thinking about OO/HO but may consider N gauge, is anyone aware of downfalls with the small gauge?

Dave, hope you don't mind me slightly side tracking your post...

Cheers, Tony

NOT AT ALL TONY.

ie I'm amazes at the response so far, and the amount of Helpful replies, so please fire away with any questions you have, clearly some people on here are well in advance of my knowledge, so it's helping all, with there informative answers.

My reason for going to N gauge was the size, ie the models actually (IMHO) don't look as clunky as they do at 00. I when for Kato track as I read some good reviews, but you have to remember you have to build up your trackside stuff to match the extra height. ie platforms, track side building etc. (I'm plaining to actully sink my track!)

Real steam and Real sound are not far away at N gauge (yes you can buy them now) but I'm pretty sure prices will tumble a lot in a short space of time, ie I think N gauge is starting to be preferred over 00 for newer users, as the layout size is dramatically reduced, and if you go to a big size baseboard, you can get a lot on at the smaller scale. ie everything you could ever want is available at this scale, but some times it does take a little finding.

Lastly the steam locos I think look better at this scale, my Dapol Bittern is stunning, I'm saving again for Mallard when she is released, (yes I did say again! A certain person offered me some more track!) so the funds went that a way but I'm grateful, quite amazed that Tom had about every thing I wanted left on my list, bar magnetic coupling rails, which are next on my list!

409612456.jpg

I plan to run anything I like, so with a large siding (yard) area, I can have the later trains out on the track, and the early ones off layout, then at the flick of a few switches the new ones can come back to the yard, and the older ones can run. be sort of like a museum of preserved trains. :)

Dave

Yesterday, I won my court case. It's been 14 months of worry, and 14 months of not having a suitable car for family use. I can now put it all behind me, get a decent car, and now start living again, and stop worrying.

Also means I can now get my railway built and what models that are going move, sold to fund other bits, I've got two more track packs to buy, my second V3 is on route, I need a third, for the points. Also want another raised section pack so I can build a double bridge section on the track, there are many smaller parts I need too.

I'm up to five loco's when Hattons send the replacement back, I'm saving for Dapols Mallard, and I also want a shunter, not sure what marking. After that it's on to rolling stock and track kits, which I will be building and painting over buying of the shelf ready stock.

Long way to go yet, but it will start coming together faster now, I don't have a court case to worry over, and I'm looking forward to being able to buy a decent car, and having a few days at the seaside, worry free.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Good luck with the layout, I have an N gauge layout around my small workshop, (9ft x 9ft) and it is great, you can run some nice long trains with N gauge. I started a few years ago and it is still not finished and doubt it will be what with the Modelling and 1:1 cars, also got a gauge 1 narrow gauge (1:32 scale) where everything has to be built, running on oo gauge 16.5 mm track ( Although this has been dormant for some time) and a small OO gauge layout . The good thing is get the track down and running and come back as and when you want. Also there are some cracking card building kits out there as well, I am just building an N gauge card bridge from an ebay seller called big baggles they are quite reasonable and assemble reasonably quickly too.

My layouts are based in the Southern region with one or GW engines. I find it very satisfying.

All the best

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris

Well Sunday afternoon, what Shall I do?
Well I decided to build my trackside oil depot kit. taken me about 3 to 4 hours, and I've really enjoyed it
409858643.jpg
409858642.jpg
Still had nothing back from Hattons regarding my Loco Exchange, but I go onwards from here!
Better buy another Kit! :)
Dave

Nice thing about N giage is you canhave lots of loco's and rolling stock looking very busy. However as I'd like my layout (when I get around to it) I;m into modeklling so, OO is the way I'll go. I'd really like Scale Four but hey i'm not totally mad! Well not yet.

Colin

Some good News today. My Car, that was the issue of a 10 month court case, has finally been removed. Court paperwork arrived today, and the damned thing was collected from my drive about mid day. I'm just waiting for the cheque now, and then I can go and buy a decent car for the family.

Also Hattons Came through, a class 66 is now winging it way to me, bit later loco than I wanted but it will fit the later remi, one way or another. so that now makes 2 x class 24's, a Class 47, a Class 66 and Bittern in the engine shed at present. I'm failing to save for Mallard badly, but it's the next loco on the list, along with a shunter. in total my controller can run Nine Loco, so they will come over time.

Got 4 different peco wagon in the post also, they will make up a bit more rolling stock, but my next job, ie buying some magnetic coupling and the Kato track parts to release them and then get them fitted to my rolling stock. also got to start think about building the frame to take the layout too.

Dave

Edited by zero

<< another N gauge-er :D

Thats going to be an epic layout! mine is a rather compact 42" x 25" as space is kinda limited. I don't have DCC, its wired up using the spaghetti technique ;-)

It will be great to see it taking shape, I look forward to the updates.

<< another N gauge-er :D

Thats going to be an epic layout! mine is a rather compact 42" x 25" as space is kinda limited. I don't have DCC, its wired up using the spaghetti technique ;-)

It will be great to see it taking shape, I look forward to the updates.

Thanks Severn

Yep it is going to be quite a size, looking at allocating track soon, my problem at present is points, I need lots. So far I have 9 sets and 3 in the post (Coming from Japan!) Thing I'm going to need another 5 sets even with 2 x over duel track pieces. This is due to having a large fiddlers yards, six tracks leading out on two the main track loops, and then a large sort of marshalling industrial area in the centre, with coal and oil depots this i hope will also have siding and two through tracks back on to the loops. Got a few ideas in my head, it's just making it work.

DCC was the way to go, due to the size and number of trains on the track, I'm just making it easy for myself, ie the idea is each loop /area, will be it's own sort of DMZ where trains can be left to run with out fear of hitting another, ie points and cross overs will be used to change in to different areas, the idea is for 9 locos in the end, four running 4 in the yards, and 1 working ie shunting, moving stuff about. And as I said above four trains will be older era, and 4 later, ie steam and then diesels. It works in my head, just need to transfer it to a board. Theres will also be two elevated section two.

Thank for your comments

Dave

Edited by zero