In at the Deep End. Decided to build a large N gauge Layout

zero

At present I'm struggling to model. I'm in a lot of pain due to a hip/back/ and knee issues, and to top it off I might have a Hernia too. I've not worked since Christmas sadly, and it looks like I may be off sick for some time, as I've basically been told my hip is bone on bone, and it's taken a MRI scan to find out what the problems with the knee! (awaiting results) it looks like it going to be a long time fixing the issues.

So I've decided to put a few kits by for a later date, and build myself a model railway now. (A large model railway!) I even have permission to have the layout in the conservatory if I can make it lift up out of the way. this is something I have always wanted to do, my father built me loads ot Airfix/Kitmaster track side kits for my layout I had as a boy, sadly these are all now lost to the passage of time, but sadly they would have been of no use as I have decided to build at N gauge which is basically 1/150 scale (as near as damit!)

I've been buying Kato unitrack, track packs for some time, as well as a couple of N gauge sets, so I'm now nearly at a end of buying track. I have four Loco's already too, the system I have will happily run 9 locos and I feel that will be enough for quite some time, I'm at the planning stage at present, with a few more point sets on my agenda to buy, but this is what I have amassed so far.

409816771.jpg

the box at the bottom is another V9 and V10 set unboxed, I need (I feel) another couple of more V3 sets (for the points) and another V5 set for some more smaller curves, but I'm now at the planning stage, and nearly finished buying track.

this was the first set I bought, note the DCC Controller, which is ample to run up to 9 DCC trains at once;

409564911.jpg

And this was the second set, which includes a DCC ready loco, and a DC controller,

409694421.jpg

From these two sets I have been able to make a running in loop, which can use either the DC or DCC controller. this means I can run DCC ready loco's in before fitting the DCC chip, or change the the DCC Controller to run or program locos off the main layout.

The Running in loop

409743308.jpg

Due to the size of the layout I needed a booster, so with this my layout will happily run nine loco's all at once and probably more.

409728249.jpg

and with this second cotroller, it means two people can operate any loco on the layout at the press of a button.

409694415.jpg

My layout is a run what you brung affair, so it will be a mix of steam and diesel's so as well as the 2 class 24 locos in the sets, i've also got:

Bittern

409612459.jpg

and a Class 47 loco too

409743310.jpg

I've along way to go yet, I plan to build rolling stock on a tray in a comfortable chair, but I'm amassing the costly stuff first, then I'll worry about wagons and trackside kits which often can be picked up for a few quid here and there.

Thanks for looking

Dave

Edited by zero
  • Like 3

Nice one Dave will be watching.

I have just started (well been planning for 9 months) my n-gauge layout. 4ft x 3ft board set in the 40s

Simon

Dave,

There are two different N scales - British is 1/148 and everything else is 1/160 so you'll need to be careful about mixing foreign and British-dedicated kits and stock . . .

Kato track is fine and very 'helpful' - it's the other items I'm thinking about.

Nick

Nice one Dave will be watching.

I have just started (well been planning for 9 months) my n-gauge layout. 4ft x 3ft board set in the 40s

Simon

Cheers Simon.

I'm looking at 3 metres by 1.2 metres in size with a five to six lane yard feeding in from one end, probably 4 main loops and another yard by a mine or industrial part in the centre.

Dave

• Like 1

Dave,

There are two different N scales - British is 1/148 and everything else is 1/160 so you'll need to be careful about mixing foreign and British-dedicated kits and stock . . .

Kato track is fine and very 'helpful' - it's the other items I'm thinking about.

Nick

Thanks for that heads up Nick, first time I have heard of that, so thank you.

What I have seems to work together so far, looking to add Dapol's Mallard shortly and a shunter too.

Cheers

Dave.

This looks like a fun project. I have used Kato track for a test track on my desk (the track is not quite seeing as much use as it should at the moment). A tip I picked up was to use Copydex glue to keep the track in place if you are experimenting with track designs - the track will lift off easily if required.

anthony

Nice, I'm currently in the process of converting my loft into a railway/modelling den so the mrs can have the third bedroom back.

I run american diesel's as I'm pretty keen on bnsf.

I've a couple of kat points a double crossover and two else tthree big ovals of track if you're interested. As I opted for the crazy flexi track route.

That's kato

You shouldn't have any troubles running British N and Continental/US N as they use the same track. As British engines etc, are built to a smaller loading gauge, Continental/US locos etc are actually larger in real life, but the smaller scale makes them appear compatible.

Firstly thank you for all the positive comments, much bigger amount of replies / reads than I ever expected, and good to see I'm not alone here, in my desire to build a layout.

Hit really lucky last night, was browsing the net and checked out Hatton's,and the stats of the Dapol Mallard.(which is currently is pre order only at present!) I then had a quick look at the pre owned section and found this:

Graham Farish 370-251-LN Diesel fuel freight complete train set with Class 37 in Railfreight Distribution

370-251-LN_3091896_Qty1_1.jpg

The loco is DCC ready (that 3 six pin chips I need now!) But I paid the same price for the whole set as I would have paid for just the loco new. I could not work out if the set had 3 or 4 fuel wagons but they where the type I wanted as well. The track and DC controller can go back on ebay as it was only the loco, and rolling stock I was interested in. It will be here Saturday so I will post some pictures when it arrives ( I got to start saving again for mallard again too)

More soon

Dave

Nice, I'm currently in the process of converting my loft into a railway/modelling den so the mrs can have the third bedroom back.

I run american diesel's as I'm pretty keen on bnsf.

I've a couple of kat points a double crossover and two else tthree big ovals of track if you're interested. As I opted for the crazy flexi track route.That's kato

Very interested charley, PM sent.

From the sounds of your list, you have just about everything that is still on my wanted list covered,

Cheers for the offer, I'm sure we can work something out, of interest to both parties. :)

Dave

Cheers Simon.

I'm looking at 3 metres by 1.2 metres in size with a five to six lane yard feeding in from one end, probably 4 main loops and another yard by a mine or industrial part in the centre.

Dave

DOH, TYPO ALERT, 18 feet is not 3 metre! The correct size is nearly 6 metres not 3.

Wowser thats big, I only have a small space. here is a pic of my layout. I have started it but this was last year when I designed it. (Red lower level Blue upper level)

Baseboardoverlay_zps772b5ba6.jpg

Have you designed your layout already. I will start a WIP for mine soon

Simon

Wowser thats big, I only have a small space. here is a pic of my layout. I have started it but this was last year when I designed it. (Red lower level Blue upper level)

Have you designed your layout already. I will start a WIP for mine soon

Simon

I've tried using SCARM but it was a slow process. As unitrack assembles easy, I will try a few things on top of the freeze and take some pictures of actual laid track. I didn't find SCRAM that easy to use, maybe it was the Kato track library, and not knowing the best parts for outer and inner curves .

That layout design looks well planned out, which software did you use?

Sort of simular to what I'm looking to do, but I plan to do two elevations, so one can loop in the oposite direction. I want to try to get 4 or more loops, but it will all come down to what works visually ie I'm not trying to cram track on to every inch of the board.

Dave

Hi Dave

I used RailModeller 4 to do the basic layout then worked it out to scale in Illustrator and printed it out.

Sounds interesting, cant wait to see the layout

Thanks

Simon

Building a lay-out is something I've thought about on many occasions, even thought of have a set up at my model desk, just shuttling from one wall to another, but its still at the 'in my head' stage!

Anyway, hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions, what is DCC, what does it do and how many engines can be run from one controller?

Cheers,

Tony

Dcc is great, it enables you to control each loco independently whilst running several locos at once. Most controllers can operate at least ten locos at any one time.

It works by sending pulsed command signals along the rails to a microprocessor in the loco.

Tony, as above, Digital, DCC, the chip controls the motor voltage, on DC to slow the train you reduce the voltage. Hence under dcc, you can have one loco running fast and one running really slow, but both using the same controller.

On you tube, search for bachmann EZ Command control, there are a series of videos 4 or 5 and they are very infomative.

Bachmanntrains videos

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=bachmann%20ez%20command&sm=1

The bachmann controller I have will run 9 loco's ( do not run DC locos, on Dcc it will burn ot the motor, some controllers can run 40 trains, but 9 will be plenty for me.

Dave

Edited by zero

Yes there is!!!

Two or more model trains

Agree. you can never have enough trains (or points it seems!)

well I thought my luck had changed.

however my Farish Diesel fuel set arrived today, but sadly it's not DCC. :(

409827608.jpg

Sadly it was wrongly listed by Hattons, so I'm now in the process of hopefully exchanging the loco, but I have to say Hattons have been very helpful and accepted the item was wrongly listed. Time will tell as to what they offer as an exchange, i'm pretty open on any replacement so long as it is DCC ready and not a class 24, or class 47. a replacement 37 would fit the bill nicely, especially if ie was British Railway marked, over BR.

Other than that, here's to a nice weekend, my thanks to Charley420 for his offer of track for sale, which has meant both of us have ended up with items we wanted, :)

Have a good Weekend

Dave

Being the new boy, I'll stick with the E-Z controller for now, 9 loco's is plenty to start (I only have 5, including the one I'm sending back for replacement!)

I have my eye on a Dapol Mallard, when released, also want a little shunter, and I've got to get to grips with magnetic couplings too.

I'm sure I will end up with more, but even then they can sit on the layout, (in a unpowered area of track) ie used as statics and changed and programed at will when need or mood takes me.

Thanks for the info so far, all help,

Dave