A-4C Skyhawk - Falklands/Malvinas 1982 - Hobbycraft 1/48

Hello all,

This is my last build, a very special build by the way. The kit of the A-4C from Hobbycraft in 1/48 scale has a gift for a great friend of mine, Mr. Julio Gauthier and the model is one prefered of Julio. So, I have the challenge to do a good work on this nice detailed kit.

The Kit:

The Hobbycraft Skyhawks are good but a bit less detailed than Hasegawa’s scooters. On the box we find the decals that show a nice appereance and quality when applied and a nose section to be add on the kit. Just the cockpit need some work and im my case I use a resin seat from Black Box.

Paint work:

The paint wok has all made using the Mig Jimenez and Gunze Paints. Weathering with Ammo by Mig Jimenez. We have to take care with the off-white grey color on the upper surfaces, this cannot appears like a pure grey, but yes like a light cream color. I do it using a mix of Light Gull Grey and sand, and it looks good to me.

The Aircraft:

I represent on my build the aircraft A-4C From IV Brigada Aerea from Argetine Air Force that on 05-30-1982 take part on the attack to the HMS Invencible. The Aircraft do the attack using a single 750lbs bomb, from MK117 type. Would like to thank Ruben Rosero, Daniel Zamarbide Suarez, Julio Julio Cezar Gauthier de Souza that help me with inspirative references and words.

Hope you Enjoy. Wip Pics here: http://kitmaniac.com/site/?p=3310

Vini Pompeo

10410907_10204600125350031_6039543320882

936060_10204600127230078_78873591764919610552615_10204600127910095_1481168271881

10509508_10204600126150051_3756513240530

Edited by POMPEO
  • Like 17

Please dont understand my build like a political comment or any defense of Argentine interests, I'm from Brazil and just build a model that take part in a war against british forces, soon I will build a Sea Harrier the same way.

Edited by POMPEO
  • Like 2

Please dont understand my build like a political comment or any defense of Argentine interests, I'm from Brazil and just build a model that take part in a war against british forces, soon I will build a Sea Harrier the same way.

Just another point The Argentine AF or Navy didn't attack HMS Invincible. I had many friends aboard at the time and they assure me it just didn't happen. I understand the Argentinian pilots may have believed at the time that they had attacked the carrier but it has been proved pretty conclusively that they were mistaken.

Either that or it was so ineffective my pals all slept through it!

By the way on a technical point, a MK 117 bomb is a 750lb store not 1000lb (454kg).

getting back to the modelling, That is really good build of a FAA Skyhawk!

Selwyn

• Like 2

Very nice model, certainly looks the part, looking forward to seeing the Sea Harrier soon!

Pompeo, fully understand my friend, as I said lovely model, but I felt the wording needed a bit more thought. I was just very heavy handed ion the way I pointed it out !!! :huh:

And ditto, looking forward to the Sea Harrier...Harrier GR3, Sea King, Gazelle, Mirage III, Pucara, Vulcan...

Edited by PLC1966

Hello Pompeo,

The model looks great.

Very well constructed and painted. Lots of weathering.

Looking forward to more AC from the Argentine Naval and Air Force.

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

Edited by Orion

@PLC1966 On an argentine map it is the Malvinas, it would be quite correct on any site to post that aircraft with no reference whatsoever to our version of what the island is called. Check our maps out it says Falklands. Check out the List of indigenous names of Eastern Caribbean Islands, we called them something different. What's the difference here? (Just a thought, that's all)

I think it's considerate to both parties. Thoughtful in fact.

Politics aside, this is a great build, something I'm looking to do, the Falklands era (both factions) this is pretty much my first memories as a human, we went to war. Looking at the kit quality it may be one of these in the line up, I see now they do an anniversary sheet or two by Condor Decals #72005 Falklands War/Guerra de Malvinas decal sheet.

By Aztec Decals 1/72 WAR FOR THE FALKLANDS & MALVINAS Britian & Argentina

I really like the anti thatcher propaganda on the bomb. Nice detail.

Edited by It's a disease
  • Like 1

@PLC1966 On an argentine map it is the Malvinas, it would be quite correct on any site to post that aircraft with no reference whatsoever to our version of what the island is called. Check our maps out it says Falklands. Check out the List of indigenous names of Eastern Caribbean Islands, we called them something different. What's the difference here? (Just a thought, that's all)

I think it's considerate to both parties. Thoughtful in fact.

Politics aside, this is a great build, something I'm looking to do, the Falklands era (both factions) this is pretty much my first memories as a human, we went to war. Looking at the kit quality it may be one of these in the line up, I see now they do an anniversary sheet or two by Condor Decals #72005 Falklands War/Guerra de Malvinas decal sheet.

By Aztec Decals 1/72 WAR FOR THE FALKLANDS & MALVINAS Britian & Argentina

I really like the anti thatcher propaganda on the bomb. Nice detail.

They are called the Falkland Islands.

We fought a war to prove the point.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 4

They are called the Falkland Islands.

We fought a war to prove the point.

Selwyn

Incorrect in the most horrible way! Blinkered to be kind to you sir.

(I hope I've covered all I need to, please highlight anything you consider incorrect)

These are the facts as I see them;

In Spanish it is Islas Malvinas, in French it is Îles Malouines, I'm sure other countries will have a name for the place on there own maps which bears no correlation to viscount falkland after whom we named the islands.

We fought a war NOT to dispute the naming of the island group but to "maintain" sovereignty, which was already being considered to change by both the United Kingdom and Argentine parliaments, the falklanders themselves while being British akin themselves closer to those of Chile and Paraguay, English with a twist.

You know, Toast the queen and salute the Union Jack but. . .

The Falklands English vernacular has a fair amount of borrowed Spanish words (often modified or corrupted); they are particularly numerous, indeed dominant in the local horse-related terminology. For instance, the Islanders use ‘alizan’, ‘colorao’, ‘negro’, ‘blanco’, ‘gotiao’, ‘picasso’, ‘sarco’, ‘rabincana’ etc. for certain horse colours and looks, or ‘bosal’, ‘cabresta’, ‘bastos’, ‘cinch’, ‘conjinilla’, ‘meletas’, ‘tientas’, ‘manares’ etc. for various items of horse gear.

Unlike the older English, French and Spanish place names given by mariners, which refer mainly to islands, rocks, bays, coves, and capes (points) important for navigation, the post-1833 Spanish names usually identify inland geographical locations and features, reflecting the new practical necessity for orientation, land delimitation and management in the cattle and sheep farming. Among the typical such names or descriptive and generic parts of names are ‘Rincon Grande’, ‘Ceritos’, ‘Campito’, ‘Cantera’, ‘Terra Motas’, ‘Malo River’, ‘Brasse Mar’, ‘Dos Lomas’, ‘Torcida Point’, ‘Pioja Point’, ‘Estancia’, ‘Oroqueta’, ‘Piedra Sola’, ‘Laguna Seco’, ‘Manada’, etc.

Evolution of Falkland Islander identity

Hon. Lewis Clifton OBE. Speaker, Falklands Legislative Council.

The Falkland Islanders are British by citizenship, and by either origins or naturalization. They are one of the nations and mini-nations of the United Kingdom and the British overseas territories, including also the English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, Channel Islanders, Gibraltarians, Saint Helenians, Bermudians, Caymanians etc. Along with their common British identity, each of these has its own distinct identity shaped in the respective particular circumstances of political, economic, social and cultural evolution history. According to Lewis Clifton, Speaker of the Falklands Legislative Council, the Falkland Islanders are no exception:

"British cultural, economic, social, political and educational values create a unique British-like, Falkland Islands. Yet Islanders feel distinctly different from their fellow citizens who reside in the United Kingdom. This might have something to do with geographical isolation or with living on a smaller island – perhaps akin to those British people not feeling European."

Besides geographical isolation, the emerging of a distinct Falkland Islander national identity along with the originally undifferentiated British identity was possibly influenced by the devolution processes taking place among the United Kingdom nations:

"The recent devolution aspirations of Wales and Scotland may be a factor. No sociological study has ever been commissioned to try to identify a plausible theory, and therefore it is difficult to elaborate on this emerging dichotomy, but significant sociological change has occurred."

Since the 1960s, the political dimension of Falklander identity has evolved around the campaign for recognition of the Islanders' right to self-determination. Key to this was the formation of the Falkland Island Committee in 1968, Britain's recognition of the right to self-determination after the Islanders turned down the so-called "leaseback proposal" put forward by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in 1980, and the new Falklands Constitution enacted in 1985. The constitution vests political power in the elected Falklands Legislative Council rather than the old style colonial governors.

Hon. Mike Summers OBE. Member of the Falkland Islands Legislative Assembly.

A specific regional aspect of identity is the human relationship the Islanders traditionally maintain with Chile and Uruguay,and the well-known Islander rejection of the Argentine sovereignty claim:

"In the Falkland Islands a national identity dynamic also exists: it is constructed upon the Islanders’ desire not to deal with Argentina."

The Falklands War had tremendous security, economic and social implications for the Falkland Islanders. The War opened the prospects for long needed reforms, reversing the demographic, economic and social decline that the Falklands had suffered for several decades. The Islanders became self-confident masters of their natural resources, and managers of a vibrant economy that attracted a wide range of new technical and managerial personnel to immigrate.

The Falkland Islanders consider themselves a nation, the ethnogenesis of which is no different from that of other immigrant nations typical of the Americas, Australia or New Zealand; indeed no different from the case of neighbouring South American nations, as pointed out by Councillor Mike Summers:

"We are as much a people as those in Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile and many other South American countries whose inhabitants are of principally European or African descent."

TRANSFER OF FALKLANDS SOVEREIGNTY PROPOSED (leaseback proposal)

By Michael Frenchman

Britain is suggesting that the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands be transferred to Argentina, according to a report reaching London last night. The islands, which are in the South Atlantic some 450 miles off the coast of Argentina, have been the subject of a 100-year-old dispute between Argentina and Britain.

This is said to be one of a number of options which are being put to the islanders by Mr Nicholas Ridley, Minister of State in the Foreign Office, responsible for Latin America, who is now in the Falklands.

According to Air Commodore B. G. Frow, of the Falkland Island Office in London, Mr Ridley addressed a meeting of the islands Sheep owners Association and told them that Argentina was getting impatient at the lack of progress in the attempts to solve the problem.

Mr Ridley suggested that it would be in the islanders best interest if they agreed to a transfer of sovereignty. The other options are a 25-year freeze over the sovereignty issue, and a lease of the islands similar to that in force for Hongkong.

Air Commodore Frow said that the lease-back solution, which has been raised before, is the one which is preferred by Whitehall.

A spokesman at the Foreign Office said last night that he could neither confirm nor deny the reports as they were awaiting a report themselves on the results of Mr Ridleys talks.

He continued: There are no proposals as such. The Government has been considering since the April exploratory talks with the Argentine Republic how best to achieve a solution of this difficult problem which would be acceptable to all parties. Mr Ridley is now consulting the islanders to establish their views on a basis for further talks with the Argentines.

When asked if Britain intended to cede the sovereignty of the islands to Argentina the spokesman said they were looking for a solution which everyone could live with.

He added: The important thing is the wishes of the islanders. If they agree, we can explore the possible basis for a solution. However, no solution can be finally agreed without the endorsement of the islanders and Parliament.

The islands Legislative Council is to meet to discuss the propositions. This is the first time that such a package of alternatives has been put to the islanders publicly.

During his meeting with the Sheepowners, Mr Ridley said that another option would be to break off talks altogether but he felt that this might antagonize the Argentine Government. (1980)

To Argentina's military junta, the British government was patently eager to dispose of the Falklands. Thus when Ridley's initiative was mauled in the Commons and talks stalled, the invitation to the Argentinian junta to imitate India's seizure of Goa in 1961 was irresistible. The invasion was named Operation Goa. Even with tension mounting, Thatcher turned a deaf ear to pleas from the Foreign Office to reinforce the islands and deploy ships to the area.

It's a shame this post has been destroyed in such a way, after all those captured spitfires/p47/etc. etc. dressed up as Germans, nobody says a thing that war is over, much like the Falklands/Malvinas conflict, it is over. The chap who posted is Brazilian, I think the language is Spanish or a derivative thereof so for his use of the word Malvinas is completely acceptable because that is how he knows it, I stand by my original post, it was considerate of him to translate it for us.

It seems that only two people fail to recognise this?

The Spanish speakers of the world will always call it the Malvinas!

• Like 4

I think we need to remember this is a modelling web site, and should not involve any politics, otherwise I feel that the administrators of this site will lock this, and it would be a shame as the model in question is excellent

• Like 4

No problem my friends,

I'm sad that some people here think that I have any Politic interest.. Definitely is not the point... I just wish to show my build and hear about your impressions. As I said, I'm Brazilian and we have our own Rivality with Argentine, but its no a problem to me.

I just build models as a hobby, no worries about historical or politic stuff about any model. If I think this way, I have to take all bf-109 planes from my stash...

Edited by POMPEO
  • Like 7