Freightdog/Revell Hawker Hunter F Mk 6 (practice rounds)

Revell hunter F Mk.6/Freightdog practice rounds. 1/72

8450600032_9d6d4b7a7a_z.jpg

8449516039_396151f16c_z.jpg

8450602104_5de9e3bda5_z.jpg

8450603640_075d4de6f2_z.jpg

Kit built before I discovered milliput, I was used to squadron type putty which attacks the plastic, I didn't want to risk damaging the detail on this kit, which I think is excellent, shame because I can't find another one to build, so I have the wing root join which is not so good. Decals were good except the white portion of the roundel/flash is slightly transparent.

Freightdog bits. I'm a first time user of this firm, I thought these were so good (excited by ordnance) I bought 2 sets on the first day I saw them. One set may end up on a harrier as both early and later bomb types come with the set. Good enough firm, I'll probably get some more things in the future. The details are good enough for me.

Kit took ages to paint as I used humbrol for each colour. First I painted white and yellow then masked this off, second the top colours were painted, I can't remember which went on first, finally the silver was painted. After removing masks the black was applied along with the nav lights etc.

Maybe the bombs should be blue? Not sure when they started painted dummies blue. I figure that at some time this may have been a viable load out. Maybe the gun flash reducers are bright orange?

Standard practice for decals, gloss first and a satin finish, humbrol paints were used. Decal soft from revell.

Airframe XG204,

(From uk serials)

First flight 25/09/1956, awaiting collection 22/10/1956, delivery date 25/10/1956, write off 15/08/1969 after flying into the ground at Rhosneigr after take off from Valley, Anglesey. The Lebanese pilot was killed.

(From 8Sqn history 1963 @ www.radfanhunters.co.uk)

On the second relocation to Sharjah, a simulated Kuwaiti-style operation was executed immediately on arrival. The opportunity was also taken for live-firing practice on the range, 50 miles north up the coast at Jeb-a-Jib. Throughout this second attachment to Sharjah, the squadron was accompanied by a team from the Day Fighter Combat School (DFCS) at West Raynham, together with two of the units F.6s (XG204 and XG209) and a pair of T.7s (XL591 and XL595). The team flew as members on most sorties and a programme was run that included low level, cross-country interceptions, operational R/P and cannon air-to-ground firing, and high-level battle formations and tactics were practiced and assessed.

(Edited, three sets bought, two sets fitted to kit, one set spare, one set is two carriers and four of each bomb type)

Edited by It's a disease
  • Like 13

Lovely build mate. I noticed your comment -

"which I think is excellent, shame because I can't find another one to build"

I may have a spare if you are after another, I'd need to go through the stash and check. If you're desperate for one drop me a PM.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Looks very good to me

Cheers, it is a very good scheme! That helps make it stand out a bit.

I may have a spare if you are after another, I'd need to go through the stash and check. If you're desperate for one drop me a PM.

Rgds,

Eng

Glad you like this build, I'll send you a p.m. Maybe we can sort something out?

It looks good. I like Hawker Hunters design.

Yes this is an iconic jet from that period. Cheers.

Thanks bat code, it's the box option (one of four) I built this as it was the most colourful, most things are green/grey/brown etc, this thing livens up the shelf a bit!

CHEERS! This is a lovely kit to build, get one if you can!!!!

Hi! Thanks i am appreciate your advice ! But my scale is a 48-th... I have seen the Revell kit in 48-th, but it had an awful panel lines. May be you know the great Hunter kit in 48-th scale?

Very nicely done and I like the research you included too.

We don't ever see a lot of 1/72 Revell Hunters completed on here, I'm guessing there are a lot hidden away in stashes (like the 3 I have). I really must get round to making them.

Duncan B

Hi! Thanks i am appreciate your advice ! But my scale is a 48-th... I have seen the Revell kit in 48-th, but it had an awful panel lines. May be you know the great Hunter kit in 48-th scale?

I'm only just starting 48th builds, somebody else hopefully has the answer.

This is 1/72 but maybe you can find 1/48

http://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/hunter72/hunter72-main.htm

Scalemates

http://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q=%22hawker+hunter%22

Pj productions 48th resin kit must be high up the order but I've not actually seen one.

Looks good from over here too,

Cracking finish.

Pretty rare kit to find these days

Rick G

I think by some twist of fate I may have found one!

We don't ever see a lot of 1/72 Revell Hunters completed on here, I'm guessing there are a lot hidden away in stashes (like the 3 I have). I really must get round to making them.

Duncan B

Mate if you have three of these un built, you really are missing out on a modelling masterpiece, the kit goes together so well it a dream model I think. Thanks (about the research) I like to build actual airframes where possible, sometimes I spend longer on research than I do on the build, one page leads to another, then you deviate and need another kit to fit in with what you learn along the way.

Really I spend more time reading than building, I think the Czech airframe that appears in this boxing is also well documented.

CHEERS Val!

Turbine_man, Val, Duncan B, raguk, Procopius, Alex Gordon, The Wooksta!

Thanks all of you people too!

I didn't think this would be so well received, it's just a simple finish with no special painting/weathering, it's just a kit I built to (I call it) museum finish, like basic block colour. Really I'm pleased with all of this, I put pictures on Flickr and show people I know but the response is so different here! Really really good! The hunter still has charm eh!

• Like 1

Duncan B

I have, uh, (whisper) nine of them. I actually hope to start on some after I finish my GB backlog up.

• Like 2

I have, uh, (whisper) nine of them. I actually hope to start on some after I finish my GB backlog up.

THATS A WHOLE DISPLAY TEAM!!! It's a great kit, get digging!

• Like 1

Expedite Elation.

Oh my god! I'm not religious but I looked at the sky and said thank you! (Today I feel like there must be some form of deity)

14737967591_a265b84d6f.jpg

I felt like the kid who asked for something at christmas and got a similar sized box under the tree!

ENG the mighty G himself, sent me this kit and despite my initial reservations everything seems to be in order. This man is truly a legend, a hero among mere mortals.

My sincerest thanks and seriously, whenever and if ever I can return this favour, please do not hesitate to ask.

Rgds,

Eng

I took a chance and followed him up on his offer! What's more, he would accept nothing from me!

I never believed such a thing would actually happen. I am grinning from ear to ear, thank you Bonnie Scotland!

(An offer still stands and always will, until such time that an agreed settlement takes place)

I'm sure I know how it will look!

(I owe you, eng)

• Like 3

That's a cracking build and I love the write up on the aircraft.

This is a kit I really fancy building but it's finding one that's the problem! fingers crossed....

Russ

Cheers, and hah! Looked what I managed to acquire! I can't believe this!

(Busy running around like a child high on sugar. Busy running circles of the room like the mad moment a dog has. Busy smiling)

BUSY BUILDING!

Good luck on your quest Russ.

Very nice build all round mate. The yellow really sets it off. I've been after one for a while, and after viewing this build, that pursuit is now a priority. Like the accompanying narrative and history, gave context, time and a place, and intimacy to the build subject.

Procopius:

You have nine of these! I'm impressed. As Liberace said "too much of a good thing is wonderful" or similar. Agree with It's a disease though, surely a Black Arrows display team beckons.

• Like 1

Procopius:

You have nine of these! I'm impressed. As Liberace said "too much of a good thing is wonderful" or similar. Agree with It's a disease though, surely a Black Arrows display team beckons.

Erm, I feel like much further comment on this subject in thread might be undeservingly stealing the spotlight from il miglior fabbro, as TS Eliot might have said had he turned to Airfix vice poetry, but my plans were three FGA9s (Radfan, Confrontation, and TWU), three F.4s (Suez Crisis and 74 Squadron), two F.6s, and the P.1109A demonstrator.

• Like 2