Swedish Lancaster - with a jet engine! - Revell 1/72

Here is a rather odd Lancaster! Sweden bought one ex-RAF Lanc in 1951 as a testbed for Swedish jet engines planned for Saab Lansen and Draken. This aircraft was designated Tp 80 and flew a great number of test flights 1951-56. However, the engine project was abandoned and instead, it was used for test of afterburners. Sadly, it was lost in a crash in 1956.

14515204159_50a43bdaca_c.jpg

I used Revell's model (Airfix' was not released when this project started) and a conversion set from Top Gun. I also added some details to the Merlin engine.

14678851966_aafa2d5fb6_c.jpg

The Top Gun set was far from good. Poor fitting and lots of small holes in the plastic.

14515421907_023bd09982_c.jpg

I used Tamiya Colours and Vallejo aluminium. Decals came from my own archive.

14701573602_088cdf9cfa_c.jpg

Another oddity is the twin tail wheel, which also is placed behind the location of the original one.

14701871905_dba21af938_c.jpg

The underside of the original had to be strengthened because of the jet engine.

14701571832_00d3625da7_c.jpg

The rest is OOB, apart from some invisible extra detailing in the wheel bays... :)

14515182250_6af163d348_c.jpg

I kept the weathering to a minimum, since this aircraft seemed to have been rather well maintained. A few years after the delivery, it was stripped from colour - but this scheme was more interesting than a simple bare metal finish.

14701872965_d8def274d7_c.jpg

A last picture. I hope you like this rare-seen Lanc!

14699467614_13a950a7a8_c.jpg

• Like 41

What I find great is, you have an archive for decals! That's a lot of decals! This is a really unique aircraft. I didn't even know it existed. Really excellent. . . .

Brilliant build, Bjorn! Now there's a Lancaster I've thought about building myself. Another oddity about this Lanc, besides the jet engine and the twin tail wheels, is that the tail wheels were retractable (to protect them from the jet blast, presumably). Despite the problems with the conversion set, where did you get it from?

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Thanks, all! :)

Brilliant build, Bjorn! Now there's a Lancaster I've thought about building myself. Another oddity about this Lanc, besides the jet engine and the twin tail wheels, is that the tail wheels were retractable (to protect them from the jet blast, presumably). Despite the problems with the conversion set, where did you get it from?

Regards,

Jason

Jason: Thanks! I got the conversion set from Rebell Hobby in Sweden. It has been out of production for many years - in fact the recommended model is Matchbox! - but a few years ago a small batch was produced, but I think that they have sold them all by now. But if you are interested, contact Max at Rebell Hobby, www.rebell.com.

Edited by Bjorn

A fine model of an unusual aircraft. Well done for not painting too much exaust stain on the out side of the outboard engines. Cheers Lindan.