Not sure if I'm flip-flopping on what to build for this. I was originally thinking something Italian like MPM's Breda B 88. But now I'm thinking of maybe doing a Dakota. Not sure where to start on finding the correct decals for one though.

• Like 1

Right so I think I have an idea of what i want to build....

I am thinking of three PR aircraft, beaufighter, hurricane and a spitfire

I also want to try and build 3 malta birds....not sure what yet with that option I will carry on looking at that as there are SO many I want to build

Rob

Have I got a good news for you - Malta was home to all those three PR aircraft!

Hello I would like to put my name down for this.

I was thinking of doing spitfire bp844 taking off of hms eagle as part of operation picket 1. Just wondering if it was within the GB requirements?

:)

Cheers

Joss

Good news to you too: Malta builds aren´t just eligible, they are recommended! In my opinion, Malta was the very heart of the war at the Mediterranean. Actually, I wanted to propose a Malta 1940-42 GB II but then I thought it´d have a better chance to succeed if I broaden the theme to cover more time and space, and here we are now so not a bad decision :thumbsup: .

Feeling a little cold, so wanted something to warm me up ... had a go a t a GB banner, here:

britmodeller-MTO-2016.jpg

Oh yes keep these coming! The colours are indeed hot, fit for the climate!

Not sure if I'm flip-flopping on what to build for this. I was originally thinking something Italian like MPM's Breda B 88. But now I'm thinking of maybe doing a Dakota. Not sure where to start on finding the correct decals for one though.

Hmmm... fortunately they give us eight months time to think about it and get ready for it :winkgrin:

• Like 3

I, as the proposed host of this GB, promise to build 5 single engine fighter aircraft models in 1:72 scale...

Looks like I´ve got a promise to keep! I´ll probably slip a bit in all those planes being fighters... I have a Storch and a Stuka that just cry for building in this GB. Is that good for the GB people?

Looks like I´ve got a promise to keep! I´ll probably slip a bit in all those planes being fighters... I have a Storch and a Stuka that just cry for building in this GB. Is that good for the GB people?

So with 3 more 1/72 kits you need a spitfire vb, a hurricane MK.IIc and a Kittyhawk mkI that should complete a good set

• Like 1

So with 3 more 1/72 kits you need a spitfire vb, a hurricane MK.IIc and a Kittyhawk mkI that should complete a good set

Nope, a Spitfire I will build in Edgar's Tribute GB and a Hurricane in its very own STGB. A Kittyhawk I just built a year ago and a Macchi Mc 202 too. For the FW 190 we´ll also have a dedicated STGB next summer but nothing for Bf 109s. But then, I´ll build one of them in the Vignette GB and another in the Blitz Build GB, so maybe not German single engine fighters after all... But I happen to have an Eduard Bf 110 Profipack and ZG 26 Sicilian decals for it, that should be good though it has one engine too many. I could also build a Sea Hurricane and a Sea(Spit)fire, lucky me there´s a lot of time left for decision making!

Simple answer, do both! :)

V-P, you are full of good news! Here the ju88 gb... What a star.

I know there were the Malta PR spits and I have seen some info for a Malta based FR? hurricane, I think there is a 1/48 boxing?? But I did not know there was a PR beaufighter on the island... I think more looking is needed.

I feel this GB will take up most my focus next year!!

I have a few more cunning plans to look at as well

Rob

But I did not know there was a PR beaufighter on the island... I think more looking is needed.

One seldom disappoints while searching the Britmodeller for information! Check out this http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20919-pru-beaufighters/ made me want to do one when I built a pair of Frog Beaufighters a few years back. Regards, V-P

I do not know what to build, the choices are many among my kits:

Bf 109E4 1/48 Eduard

Fiat Cr 25 1/72 Special Hobby

Gloster Gladiator 1/48 Roden

Henschel Hs 126 1/48 ICM

Henshel Hs 129 B2 1/48 Revell

Macchi 202 serie I 1/48 Hasegawa

Macchi 202 serie VII 1/48 Hasegawa

Mc 205 Veltro 155° Gr 1/48 Hasegawa

Me 110E-2 Trop 1/48 Cyber Hobby

Spitfire Mk V Tropical 1/48 Hasegawa

Spitfire Mk.IX Early 1/48 Eduard

Spitfire Mk.Vb Malta 1/48 Airfix

Bristol Beaufort 1/72 Special Hobby

Cant Z 501 1/72 Italeri

Caproni Ca 311 1/72 Italeri

Caproni Ca 313/314 1/72 Italeri

Cr 42 Falco 1/48 Italeri

Cr 42 Falco 1/72 Italeri

Ettore

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 3

How do the hosts feel about captured aircraft that were, operated, captured and evaluated in theatre?

Like this one

cantz506b_mm45432_captured%201_zps5ln6ow

Captured by an RAF crew from a downed beaufighter while they were being transported to be prisoners of war. As it goes they over powered the Italian crew and forced them to fly back to malta.... the crew were from a downed beaufighter

Rob

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in!!!

Pop me down please!

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 1

Hi all.

The rules state: "Eligible builds: Anything that was used in or supporting operations of war from 1.9.1939 to 8.5.1945 below the Alps and above the equator, from the Gibraltar to Iraq, sea, air or land, all scales and materials."

Does that mean the eastern most tip of Iraq, or the western most tip?

Why am I nitpicking? Because it might include or exclude a subject I'm considering.

This below red box shows the limits of the eligible area. If is't the westernmost tip of Iraq, will I be allowed to build a 16 Squadron SAAF subject that was based at Addis Ababa, Abyssinia (modern day Ethiopia)?

MTO%20amp%20NA_zpsq86wnfza.png

Edited by JimmyZ
  • Like 2

Jimmy, a gorgeous map, thank you! That´s how I have written the geographical limits for this Group Build. The original title had both the Mediterranean and the North Africa mentioned. Officially Ethiopia has probably never been part of North Africa but in terms of WW2 most of us should link it to MTO. What else!? I assume it was part of the British/Commonwealth supply and assembly area, securing entrance to the Red Sea and the Suez canal, which were essential for the war at the MTO. So that´s eligible, welcome :-)

But: for all the innovative members out there who view that map: don´t even try to build clearly Eastern Front stuff around the Black Sea, or Atlantic ops from Bay of Biscay etc. in this GB! Regards, V-P

I think that Operation Torch is included?! With the landings in Marocco as well?!

Cheers,

Aren´t the Central and Eastern Task Forces enough...? (read: of course the Op Torch was meant to be included as whole, but I wrote the rules "from the Gibraltar to Iraq"...) So you nitpickers, if it´s only up to me, have your Marocco eligible here, but no Bay of Biscay or Caucasus, please! Regards, V-P

EDIT: 1000th post? Me, the quient and silent type?

Edited by vppelt68
  • Like 1

Nitpicker Arnie. :fool::rofl: Hehehehehehehe I just had to ask after seeing the chart. That widens the GB a lot. I think I have a few decals in my stash for some Op Torch planes. Hmmmmm :hmmm:

Cheers,

• Like 1

vppelt68, I hope I didn't start something with my map now... :banghead:

I am happy to ablige if you decide the old "parameters" leaves too much room for nitpicking, and if you want to change it. After all, there's so much to build immediately around the Mediterranean.

• Like 1