How about the Greco-Italian war 1940? Or Vichy French aircraft? I only ask because some people consider the Greco-Italian war not to be part of WW2 until the Germans and Bulgarians joined in. I am assuming neutral countries are not allowed and some may argue that Vichy France was neutral, at least until a certain time.

For me both of the above are part of WW2, I'm only asking not looking for a debate.

Why should the Greco-Italian war not be seen as part of WW2 ??? It was an attack from an Axis power against a country that was collaborating with the British war effort and that hosted British forces, to me sounds like a typical WW2 campaign...

Like I have already said in my original post I am not looking for a debate, and also I consider the Greco Italian War to be part of WW2.

Having said that there are those who believe that the Greco Italian War was not part of WW2 because Germany did not take part in it, these people consider the later German invasion to be a separate conflict known as the Battle of Greece. Their reasons for this argument are largely that it was hoped that the conflict would remain contained between Greece and Italy and not involve Germany, this is why the only British forces present on the Albanian front were the RAF as it was felt a British Army contingent would anger Germany. I think these people would describe the Greco Italian War as a war within a war.

The rest of it I don't want to delve into because of the politics involved, and also because it would take up my time.

Basically, the way I see it; WW2 started with the invasion of Poland on 1/9/39 and ended with the formal surrender of Japan on 2/9/45. Between those dates; If a military action involved Axis forces attacking another country then its part of WW2.

Don't try to tell a Finn that the Fenno-Russian Winter War was not part of the WW2 because there were no Germans... Or, because in that case a later Allied member was the aggressor attacking it's peace loving neighbors, which in fact forced one such nation to choose a position in a devastating war that had better been avoided. Rant over 😊.

Dearly beloved, I welcome you all to the WW2 Mediterranean and North Africa Group Build! 99 votes - amazing support from group builders! Me and thepureness shall try our best hosting you when the time comes.

Regards, V-P

• Like 2

this is tempting... nothing in the stash (cos it contains 1 kit - and that is a USN '50s jet) - may get the Tamiya Quad tractor, limber & 25pdr tho... will have to see on dates vs the NATO/WASAW Pact...

Like I have already said in my original post I am not looking for a debate, and also I consider the Greco Italian War to be part of WW2.

Having said that there are those who believe that the Greco Italian War was not part of WW2 because Germany did not take part in it, these people consider the later German invasion to be a separate conflict known as the Battle of Greece. Their reasons for this argument are largely that it was hoped that the conflict would remain contained between Greece and Italy and not involve Germany, this is why the only British forces present on the Albanian front were the RAF as it was felt a British Army contingent would anger Germany. I think these people would describe the Greco Italian War as a war within a war.

The rest of it I don't want to delve into because of the politics involved, and also because it would take up my time.

I never thought you wanted a debate, my personal answer was to those expressing the ideas you mention, ideas that to me sound very curious. Any military action by Italian forces after the declaration of war to France and the UK is part of WW2.

In any case, glad to see this GB going through. I have many potential subjects in my stash as I've been slowly building a number of aircrafts involved in actions over Italy between 1943 and 1945 including Spitfires, P-51s and 47s, Bf.109s and of course Italian fighters. Not that I lack kits suitable for the North African campaign with more Spitfires and 109s and a couple P-40s...

We are banned - no, actually we are bannered, or is that a word at all? Couldn´t add any dates, though, yet... Regards, V-P

The_MED_GB_banner_zpsjz94okrm.jpg

EDIT: Because I added this to my signature too we have it here twice!

Edited by vppelt68
  • Like 2

Hey chaps, didn't put my name down for this as I was concentrating on the Eastern Front GB but did vote for this as well as I am itching to do something in desert colours. Is it too late to join in on this?

Yes of course welcome all! With 99 voters I for sure will not update any lists anymore. When this GB eventually hits the Future GB:s section the chat will go on and people can report participating but the only thing that´ll count when we hit the Current GB:s is the build thread You start! Get prepared :-) Regards, V-P

P.S. I will allow multiple builds in one thread.

• Like 1

I have the Italeri 15cwt truck & Breda 20/65 in the stash, and desert schemes are my favourite for painting, so this looks like the proverbial no brainer for me.

So med/north Africa has made it, guys you are now free to add to your stash something for the GB, unless you already have

Yes, I have LOTS!! (all 1:72nd of course).

Just to be certain....Vichy D520's in Syria or North Africa are allowed? (one of my many options, but I fancy the challenge of those red and yellow stripes in 72nd....)

Philip

I have a Airfix's 1/72 Bf 109 E-7/Trop in desert camouflage. I also could build a Spitfire Mk IX in USAAF desert camouflage or a Bf 109 G-6 in desert camouflage, both 1/48 from Eduard.

I'll decide when the dates of the GB approach but I certainly intend to participate.

Cheers

Jaime

Edited by jrlx

So it's August 20 to December 18 next year. Starting two weeks after the Ju 88 STGB has ended - perfect 👌. Plenty of other GB:s to participate before them too! Please note, we now have a new, short name. Regards, V-P

• Like 1

Something along the lines of a Sherman from me I think. Could be British or American. Then again i could go Kiwi or maybe Polish..... ain't quite decided yet. Ohhhhh the agony! 😕

Regards

Steve

Right so I think I have an idea of what i want to build....

I am thinking of three PR aircraft, beaufighter, hurricane and a spitfire

I also want to try and build 3 malta birds....not sure what yet with that option I will carry on looking at that as there are SO many I want to build

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Hello I would like to put my name down for this.

I was thinking of doing spitfire bp844 taking off of hms eagle as part of operation picket 1. Just wondering if it was within the GB requirements?

:)

Cheers

Joss

• Like 1