-

Super-neat. Have you milliputed the canopy joints yet? Cockpits look tremendous.

No, I did put dilute PVA around the joints, and of course it dries clear, so I decided there may not be any gaps to fill (happened before). I'll fill them as and when they appear.

• Like 1

plus I added a handle out of some dowels; there is going to be a lot of messing about during painting, and I don't want to cover the thing in grease by handling it directly:

With a heat gun and clenched buttocks (during the operation, not used as a tool), I also managed to straighten the fin by the bit it was out (at least I think it was out) :confused:

I like that dowel idea. I've come close to spoiling the finish on my JPs several times cos of handling. Even tho' not spoiled I think my handling of em has caused enough deterioration that some of the just painted crispness has been lost. It's one of the biggest lessons I've learned - or maybe relearned - I'm slow that way.

Thanks for that image of buttocks being used to .......(no I cannot go on with that thought)...I must now work hard to erase it form my mind.

Gosh that was brave putting a heat gun anywhere near the Fin. Glad it worked :)

• Like 2

This really has progressed fantastically well dr_gn! Awesome work of my favourite aircraft (sorry Steve (Fritag)!!!)!!! The cockpit is brilliant though as you mentioned earlier, I think that it is more GR1 than GR4. The PMD in the front cockpit (the moving map) was replaced with a multi-function display in the GR4 which was square IIRC and could display the moving map and switch also to the FLIR display. This was a huge move forward all those years ago (1998). Part of the GR4 upgrade was to also take out the aircraft's nuclear capability which in the from cockpit was a panel on the left hand side.

As I said earlier, awesome work! Wish you were doing a Goldstars jet though!!! :winkgrin: Favourite aircraft, favourite squadron! :speak_cool:

• Like 2

On 15/01/2015 at 10:37 AM, spike7451 said:

Good work but your pylons are totally wrong...You have added the square tabs that represent the sway braces'these are not on the teal thing as they pylons are internally braced....see the photo's I posted here;

http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?p=274551

]

On 15/01/2015 at 10:35 AM, feifeitim said:

]

Edited by dr_gn

Hmm, is that different from the GR1 then? TBH I kind of copied General Melchett's work on the pylons:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966619-revell-148th-raf-tornado-gr1a/page-14

It's no big deal to modify them if your pic is definitley right for this aircraft.

ETA, like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panavia_Tornado) - isn't that a GR4?

bWkncC1g.jpg

Yes,RAF Tornado's'be it GR1,GR4 ext all use the same pylons & ERU units.On the outer pylon's they are LDERU (Light Duty Explosive Release Unit) & on inners/ shoulder (belly) they are HDERU (Heavy Duty)aka MACE unite (Minimum Area Crotchless Ejection)

When a weapon is loaded,instead of sway braces screwing down onto the bomb,with ours the bomb is sort of raised up into the 'square' holes you see at each end of the attachment point.

Hth'

Merv (RAF Tornado Armourer)

Edited by spike7451
  • Like 1

Yes,RAF Tornado's'be it GR1,GR4 ext all use the same pylons & ERU units.On the outer pylon's they are LDERU (Light Duty Explosive Release Unit) & on inners/ shoulder (belly) they are HDERU (Heavy Duty)aka MACE unite (Minimum Area Crotchless Ejection)

When a weapon is loaded,instead of sway braces screwing down onto the bomb,with ours the bomb is sort of raised up into the 'square' holes you see at each end of the attachment point.

Hth'

Merv (RAF Tornado Armourer)

Merv,

I'm not sure where my error is then?

I thought you meant the fuselage pylons - While not 100% accurate, they don't look too different from the photograph I posted just now.

So I assume you mean my wing pylons; I've not added anything to them, in fact as I mentioned in post #42

"Also removed the stabilising tabs from the pylons, which don't seem to be fitted to RAF Tornados:"

The tabs are moulded as part of the pylon, so I cut them off. The only other mod I made (apart form the pivots) was adding some detail to the (unused) missile rail.

Ta.

Another evening of masking tape, Blu-tac and Kleenex; I always dreamed of this kind of life.

O4oxXvbz.jpg

Anyway, masking of cockpit, wheel wells, LRMTS and intake ramps is about 50% done now.

It'll be worth the hard graft, she's coming together nicely :goodjob:

• Like 1