-

I used to prefer not pratting about, but these days I enjoy it as much as the finishing paint jobs

I think it came about when I started back on modelling back at PH that time, the detailing became very compelling

maybe 'cos I can't see as well as I used to, getting things right-er makes the difference

Anyway, what you decide is all that really matters, if anything we in here done has helped you with in this or future super builds I think we'd all be happy

Been utterly brilliant so far

:thumbsup:

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

Oh arr, there's gotta be fun

Like the fun we are having watching you turn a new aspect of the hobby yours

All yours

That awesome canopy is AWESOME

:)

Die setting the MDC?

Yes

That's you G, very innovative nice idea

• Like 1

Already looking like one of yours G

I like my XR swivel knife (edited 'cos I just looked at the knife, doh. Not stencil cutter))

It cuts curves as small as I've ever needed and I used it on the masking for the Jag's canopies

Seems good, mind you when I see your work it is a step change or more higher quality so maybe you do

need more accuracy

As I cut with mine I can make the pointed blade turn through some really tight little corners so maybe it would do

the glazing strips on your canopy look very like the real thing to me, very impressive

Edited by perdu

Can't quite get over how awesome this canopy work, your ideas and solutions for all the little bits pieces such as the MDC are just incredible......and in 1/72!!

Just one we suggestion though......

When you're done with this one, can you make me a dozen canopies the same for my current and future builds?!!!! 😱

( 🏃 Runs for cover behind big impenetrable object )

Incredible work Sir, incredible.

Rgds,

Eng

Edited by eng
  • Like 1

Can't quite get over how awesome this canopy work, your ideas and solutions for all the little bits pieces such as the MDC are just incredible......and in 1/72!!

Just one we suggestion though......

When you're done with this one, can you make me a dozen canopies the same for my current and future builds?!!!!

( Runs for cover behind big impenetrable object )

Incredible work Sir, incredible.

Rgds,

Eng

Thanks Eng, sure I can make you a canopy, and I can make some riveted framing strips too for you to cut to length if you like. I'm not going to promise a time for that, but sometime after I finish this thing. After all I've got plently of spare PET-G.

I'm only kidding Dr, I'm sure by the time you've finished this Tornado you won't want to see another for quite some time. Just incredibly impressed at your perseverance and patience.

I've taken a break from my pile of GR's for a bit, been playing with Airfix new 48th scale Spits and some 72nd Spits n Hurricanes what with it being the 75th Anniversary of the BoB and all that.

Your build remains a great inspiration to get back to my favourite though!

Eng

Oh. My. God.

How the Hell have I missed this masterclass? I guess, since the Tornado doesn't really thrill me as a type and 1/72 isn't my preferred scale, I just never quite got round to looking at it. Mistake. Huge.

I have just read the whole thread from the beginning. Even leaving aside the complete illustrated Jedi tutorial on DIY vac-forming, with contributions from Yoda Perdu and Obi-Wan Fritag, this is a fantastic piece of modelling. I'd be thrilled to achieve that finesse and detail in much bigger scales. But then add in the canopy stuff, and this becomes a reference build.

Fantastic. Bravo, Doc!

• Like 2

Ha ha thanks very much. As you say, re. the canopy it's basically monkey see monkey do w.r.t. Fritag and Perdu. I'm not a big Tornado fan either, especially the grey versions, but I like this fin scheme, plus I saw the aircraft over Derwent.

Oh. My. God.

I have just read the whole thread from the beginning. Even leaving aside the complete illustrated Jedi tutorial on DIY vac-forming, with contributions from Yoda Perdu and Obi-Wan Fritag, this is a fantastic piece of modelling. I'd be thrilled to achieve that finesse and detail in much bigger scales. But then add in the canopy stuff, and this becomes a reference build.

Fantastic. Bravo, Doc!

Agree with your comments completely, threads like this are a huge inspiration for ones learning :)

• Like 3

I'm going to have to copy you with my Jaguar, Sensei

I don't know how Ex-FAAWAFU knew I had wrinkly green ears, amazing :)

But I don't think I'm much of a Jedi sage, more a sage and onion

This thread has been a fabulous learning source for me, not really wanting it to end

• Like 3

I'm going to have to copy you with my Jaguar, Sensei

I don't know how Ex-FAAWAFU knew I had wrinkly green ears, amazing :)

But I don't think I'm much of a Jedi sage, more a sage and onion

This thread has been a fabulous learning source for me, not really wanting it to end

I can tell you I definitely want it to end, asap!

I'd like to finish it in time for Cosford, and maybe bring it along. The boy wants to go too, with his Dornier. I gave him my 1977 Matchbox catalogue to look at the other day, and he chose the Northrop F-5 and the F-104 for his next builds. Pretty good choices I thought; the F-5 is a great looking machine.

I think for the MDC I'll drill some holes in a bit of wood and glue some cocktail sticks into them to try and get the sinewave form right.

Edited by dr_gn
  • Like 2

The dogs dodahs of modeling

Drill bits and wire is going in the black book of craking ideas. very nicely done.

The dogs dodahs of modeling

Drill bits and wire is going in the black book of craking ideas. very nicely done.

Funny - for my next trick I'm going to make those same drills into a punch and die set for the corner radii decals...

Or at least that's the idea. Seems that "plan B" features a lot in this build.