-

I don't know whether these might help a bit from when I did mine in 1/48...

Canopy1.jpg

Canopy2.jpg

Canopy3.jpg

Great work so far. You're doing a stunning job of this...and in 1/72 too! Wonderful.

Andy

Andy

That looks awsome, what glue do you use to attache photo etch to clear parts? Thanks

Rich

Gator grip's the way forward. Similar to PVA so no fumes but dries like an absolute rock. Will support the weight of open canopies on its own as long as you can prop them up whilst it dries. Fantastic stuff...

gatorglue1.gif

Little-cars stock it and I'm sure others do too.

Dr_gn have you looked at how Fritag did the MDC on his JP5 build? well worth a read.

Might get some of that pla-paper myself too, Think it would work with the silhouette cutter.

CT

Yes, it's fine for the top of the canopies, but it also goeas aroung the periphery, in a loop, and includes some strange bumps around the edge.

The other thing is that the frames themselves don't have corner radii, the radii seem to be generated by the MDC and some kind of infill.

The final issue...MDC. No problem for the wavy lines along the top, but how about where it wraps around the periphery of the canopy , with small random bumps in it, and the rear most section is offset from the framing...?

GJ-Tornado-001.JPG

Ah did you mean just above 'Davies' in the pic. Thought that was part of the seal, Hawks have similar loops in the seal. Could you use lead wire? I have some 0.2mm wire from little cars which can be rolled thinner if need be.

• Like 1

You could mask all but that part then rough it up with a medium/fine sanding stick then remove the masking and add the wire MDC...but the frosting will be barely visible in 1/72 I would think.

• Like 1

It was James G who suggested Pla-Paper, so thanks to him for that. I think it's jsut thin styrene sheet rather than anything special. OK it's the right thickness, but time will tell what the end result will look like.

So now - the Formula 560 worked OK after curing overnight. So the question now is do I pre-paint the frames black/grey and hope it still sticks? If I leave it white, the outer edges will remain white due to the canopy masking, and the white faces will be visible through the inside of the canopy.

Possibly easier to pre-paint than extensively mask the inside. The front and middle frames have photo-etch hoops glued over them, and the rear one is invisible.

The final issue...MDC. No problem for the wavy lines along the top, but how about where it wraps around the periphery of the canopy , with small random bumps in it, and the rear most section is offset from the framing...?

GJ-Tornado-001.JPG

Phot credit to Graham James (obviously!). If it's an issue I'll delete it, but it is in the BM tornado walkaround section. Thanks.

Glad I was able to make a positive contribution to this stellar build! I had not though of using pla-paper for canopy frames, great idea Dr_gn. Might just have to try it on my Su-27 canopy....

Cheers

James

• Like 2

That canopy is a work of art. Serious piece of work. You could post that in RFI on its own.

Sorry if this is a daft question, but will you paint the exterior of the strips before fixing them to the canopy, or fix, mask and paint?

• Like 2

That canopy is a work of art. Serious piece of work. You could post that in RFI on its own.

Sorry if this is a daft question, but will you paint the exterior of the strips before fixing them to the canopy, or fix, mask and paint?

Both. I think I'll paint them in grey primer, the stick them, then mask and paint the MDC periphery, then mask over that and put a final coat on the frames. Then add wire MDC for the lumps, bumps and central wavy bits.

Then start on the internal details...

I agree with that. Seriously moving the boundaries of what is 'supposed' to be done in 1/72 scale - and a definite example to us all :)

• Like 1

I agree with that. Seriously moving the boundaries of what is 'supposed' to be done in 1/72 scale - and a definite example to us all :)

I thought Tomoshenko's comment referred to AjD's 1:48 canopy, which is indeed a work of art and..finished!

I thought Tomoshenko's comment referred to AjD's 1:48 canopy, which is indeed a work of art and..finished!

Both. AjD's is truly impressive, although your's in particular given the scale. As Fritag says, "moving the boundaries of what is 'supposed' to be done in 1/72 scale".

By the way, like your handles :)

• Like 1

Your choice of course but I think it is great, excellent even

The framing looks very good and oh boy, nice rivets

Is that cockpit really supposed to be off a 1/72 scale model?

Nah, never

• Like 1

Your choice of course but I think it is great, excellent even

The framing looks very good and oh boy, nice rivets

Is that cockpit really supposed to be off a 1/72 scale model?

Nah, never

Ta, but there's something not quite right about the lower frames.

I'm going to paint the original and this one, complete with the "frosted" framing (which will be Tamiya grey primed transparent decal film). Transparent so it doesn't show white form the underside. I tried it on a scrap canpy and it looks fine. Haven't figured the tiny radii yet though.

Before comitting to the internal details and decals, I'll make a call on which to use based on overall "look".

I really don't enjopy this level af pratting about.

• Like 1

I aspire to "this level of pratting about" Garth. Obviously you need to be happy about it - just don't beat yourself up too much. It looks amazing to me.