-

Feel better knowing that it's not just my clear sprue that sucks! Good to see you're making some more progress on this beauty. Cockpit is outstanding indeed.

Rgds

Eng

• Like 1

I'd be tempted to add some white to MSG, in differing amounts to get a slightly faded look. Trying to compare that photo with what you've done is difficult given the effect of light on the real thing

Yeah, but ideally I'd use a standard colour - saves a great deal of hassle. I think the contrast between the dark areas of the pod tells the story - I noticed it straight away.

Cheers.

Tornado grey's are a nightmare, I was trying to find good matches to Tamiya paints and failed when it came to the Dark Sea Grey uppers! I've bitten the bullet and accepted what I've got this time round, and will endeavour to lighten it slightly with weathering effects.

I had posted elsewhere earlier in the week about this grey on the anniversary GR.4 as Xtradecals new RAF update sheet has the colour as Camo Grey (Typhoon grey!) which I think is incorrect. I like yourself believe the aircraft is all over MSG.

Have you painted the main airframe yet? I'd go with previous suggestion of whacking some white into the MSG to lighten it further. Using photo's as your reference can be so tricky as it will depend on the lighting on the day the pic was taken too and whether or not the pic has been edited in any way. I've found myself tearing my hair out trying to colour match from pics before, Harriers I think it might have been.....

Don't know why we do this to ourselves.....and for fun!

Rgds

Eng

• Like 1

Tornado grey's are a nightmare, I was trying to find good matches to Tamiya paints and failed when it came to the Dark Sea Grey uppers! I've bitten the bullet and accepted what I've got this time round, and will endeavour to lighten it slightly with weathering effects.

I had posted elsewhere earlier in the week about this grey on the anniversary GR.4 as Xtradecals new RAF update sheet has the colour as Camo Grey (Typhoon grey!) which I think is incorrect. I like yourself believe the aircraft is all over MSG.

Have you painted the main airframe yet? I'd go with previous suggestion of whacking some white into the MSG to lighten it further. Using photo's as your reference can be so tricky as it will depend on the lighting on the day the pic was taken too and whether or not the pic has been edited in any way. I've found myself tearing my hair out trying to colour match from pics before, Harriers I think it might have been.....

Rgds

Eng

Yeah, I replied to your thread with the above post.

Someone who'se usually spot-on with colour shades (Perdu) suggested Tamiya XF-24, 14 or 12.

Luckily I only got as far as painting the stores (now stripped).

If I have to strip any more paint of any more models...I'm giving up!

Cheers.

Using photo's as your reference can be so tricky as it will depend on the lighting on the day the pic was taken too and whether or not the pic has been edited in any way. I've found myself tearing my hair out trying to colour match from pics before, Harriers I think it might have been.....

Rgds

Eng

Have you guys seen the colour lookup at http://scalemodeldb.com/paint? This lets you link to or upload a photo and then click on the image to see colour details and any paint that comes close.

It still relies on the accuracy of the photo I guess but may save a lot of time?

• Like 1

Have you guys seen the colour lookup at http://scalemodeldb.com/paint? This lets you link to or upload a photo and then click on the image to see colour details and any paint that comes close.

It still relies on the accuracy of the photo I guess but may save a lot of time?

That's a brilliant concept, but it comes up with pretty much every grey I've got, depending on the precise point that I click on.

• Like 1

I taped everything together to see how much nose ballast I'd need, and it turns out the answer is 'none'. Instructions call for 10g, but I guess resin and Araldite weigh a lot more than the equivalent styrene:

gGS4X0GK.jpg

Doc although at the 'coal face' it looks as if ballast isn't necessary, I would add some into the radar nose

just in case

When I built that Black Cat Catalina I added lots of weight into un-noticeable areas and it sat 'front down' with the nose wheel off

but as soon as the nose wheel went on and the CoG shifted against the lateral centre line it went ridiculously tail heavy

A few mg of extra nose may stop it happening to your Tornado

(or pop a few cltrs of helium into the fin)

low humour apart it looks as if we are to be treated to a rather nice Tonka, yahooo

b

• Like 3

Perdu - too late, the nose is on!

Even if you lift the nose until it's level, it still drops back down again, plus there's no front u/c, doors, canopy, seats or instrument fairings on it yet.So it should be fine unless Ive forgotten something heavy at the rear.

• Like 1

I

When I built that Black Cat Catalina I added lots of weight into un-noticeable areas and it sat 'front down' with the nose wheel off

but as soon as the nose wheel went on and the CoG shifted against the lateral centre line it went ridiculously tail heavy

b

Something like this occurred with my JP3. I thought I'd over done it with the nose weight - but with the nose wheel on - the nose is lifted quite close to the balance tipping point and it will quite happily sit as either a nose sitter or tail sitter. I was a bit lucky to get away with it actually - and it was a good lesson.

BTW - the mighty fin construction is looking very crisp and clean :)

• Like 1

Instructions call for 10g, but I guess resin and Araldite weigh a lot more than the equivalent styrene:

Hi Doc. She's looking like a proper Fin now.

Perhaps the instructions suggest adding the weight in case the model is posed in the wings swept position? I can imagine setting the wings back, particularly if pylons and ordnance are fitted, would tip the balance a bit.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Hi Doc. She's looking like a proper Fin now.

Perhaps the instructions suggest adding the weight in case the model is posed in the wings swept position? I can imagine setting the wings back, particularly if pylons and ordnance are fitted, would tip the balance a bit.

Cheers.

Very true - I'd not thought of that.