-

I cant say I am all that bovvered with figures in or around aeroplanes these days but they are nice

How about a little pastel dusting to build in a bit of definition, what you have done is better than my stuff was

The canopies, they get in your blood after a while, those look good

A very good idea to use 'less good' ones as practice pieces of course

I like using straightforward plasticard to give definition

So to recap

bloody nice show :)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Looks like a right pair of grumpy old buggers, the one on the right is walking rather precariously too.

S1sY22K6.jpg

He's just ate a Gurkah curry....

The cross on top of the helmet is actually not white,it's a silver reflective tape,you may also see small squares of it on the Koch fittings on the life vest so the growbags can find them easier,,,,

• Like 2

dr_gn, your avatar is hypnotising me! :hypnotised::lol:

So is this build to be fair, it's amazing. I love the pilot figures, they look great. I've just purchased the new Banzai 1/72 X-Wing kit, and although my normal subject is aircraft which are on the ground so I don't have to paint pilots, I am going to do her in flight. Therefore I have to paint Luke I guess! If he comes out half as good as your pilot figure I'll be both chuffed to bits and amazed!

• Like 1

Looks like a right pair of grumpy old buggers, the one on the right is walking rather precariously too.

S1sY22K6.jpg

They've just gone "tech", mission cancelled. Apparently the one on the left was quite irate and animated in his description of some kind of bubbles and distortion in the canopy!

Canopies do look absolutely amazing compared to the crap supplied by Revell, it may be worth bearing this in mind when worrying about just how perfect you need them.

I was going to suggest Dymo tape for framing, but I think the suggestion of speed tape is a much better idea as you could run a rivet wheel over this and the stuff's pretty pliable too.

Figures look excellent as well, and nicely painted too, I'll need to get a few of these at some point.

Rgds,

Eng

They've just gone "tech", mission cancelled. Apparently the one on the left was quite irate and animated in his description of some kind of bubbles and distortion in the canopy!

Canopies do look absolutely amazing compared to the crap supplied by Revell, it may be worth bearing this in mind when worrying about just how perfect you need them.

I was going to suggest Dymo tape for framing, but I think the suggestion of speed tape is a much better idea as you could run a rivet wheel over this and the stuff's pretty pliable too.

Figures look excellent as well, and nicely painted too, I'll need to get a few of these at some point.

Rgds,

Eng

Ha ha thanks Eng.

'Yes, you're right about the comparison with the original canopy. The ones I've made aren't perfect, but much better in terms of clarity. I tried polishing a spare one, but it's more bother than it's worth. Time will tell if they look acceptable with framing. Dymo tape is way too thick - I've ordered some Tamiya Pla-Paper 0.1mm thick (someone on here suggested it; sorry I can't find their reference), which should arrive tomorrow. I can rivet it, and stick it to the frame with either epoxy or cyano. Then it's just the mirrors, pipes, wires, boxes...MDC. Dear oh dear what a hassle!

I've also found that I've had to score and bend the lower frames outwards - the vacform shape is too vague on its own.

What about solartrim?

Don't know - I've used Solarfilm on model gliders, and if it's a self-adhesive version of that, I'd expect it would be too thin to get decent definition for masking, and maybe difficult to paint?

It is difficult to paint

It is very thin

And it is quite flexible

Do you want some of mine

I found it hated paint

Correction

it detested Acrylic Paint and flexes it off immediately you give it any work to do

I still haven't got round to testing it with enamels

And to be honest I'm not happy with modern enamels, I wonder if anyone I know has died from using old style Humbrol enamels?

I can't think of anyone off hand

• Like 1

Just wondering - what's the best adhesive for PET-G to styrene for the framing?

Even after lightly abrading the surfaces, epoxy isn't great, nor is PVA or polystyrene cement. It's quite greasy stuff.

Currently I'm thinking PVA to locate, then wick cyano along the outer joints, followed by dipping in Klear.

Ha ha thanks Eng.

'Yes, you're right about the comparison with the original canopy. The ones I've made aren't perfect, but much better in terms of clarity. I tried polishing a spare one, but it's more bother than it's worth. Time will tell if they look acceptable with framing. Dymo tape is way too thick - I've ordered some Tamiya Pla-Paper 0.1mm thick (someone on here suggested it; sorry I can't find their reference), which should arrive tomorrow. I can rivet it, and stick it to the frame with either epoxy or cyano. Then it's just the mirrors, pipes, wires, boxes...MDC. Dear oh dear what a hassle!

I've also found that I've had to score and bend the lower frames outwards - the vacform shape is too vague on its own.

Not sure if it's been suggested before, if so apologies for this ! Have you considered self adhesive aluminium ? I use it very often to reproduce frames on transparencies, it's thin, can be cut easily, can be riveted and painted with no problem

Not sure if it's been suggested before, if so apologies for this ! Have you considered self adhesive aluminium ? I use it very often to reproduce frames on transparencies, it's thin, can be cut easily, can be riveted and painted with no problem

I considered it, but I think at the thicknesses I want, it would be difficult to work with i.e. crease easily and be tricky to position.

So Doc, let me get this right......if those pilot dudes are say, 6' tall then they'd scale out to 1"...is that correct?

Which would mean you've applied 1/32nd scale painting to 1/72nd scale figures.......Very nice indeed.

This whole shebang is rather tasty, keep it up.

Cheers.

• Like 2

So Doc, let me get this right......if those pilot dudes are say, 6' tall then they'd scale out to 1"...is that correct?

Which would mean you've applied 1/32nd scale painting to 1/72nd scale figures.......Very nice indeed.

This whole shebang is rather tasty, keep it up.

Cheers.

Ta! Yes, they're about 1" tall. I wouldn't call it 1:32 painting.

Technique for the flight suits was mainly base colour (with various bits picked out with lighter or darker shades), dark wash, then brush over with Tamiya green pastel. So any shadows were done by the wash, and the highlights with the pastels. The white pads were cut up decals, as were the helmet crosses. Faces were Skin Tone, with dark wash. The fact that they are quite finely moulded helped the pastels pick up the highlights and retain the dark wash, so if they look OK, it's probably more to do with the quality of the mouldings than any particular painting technique on my part. It wasn't really too difficult, about 3 hours in total.

• Like 2

Looks good

I might be tempted to thin the 560 with a drop of water to let it get under the Pla-Paper by capillary action

It should still dry firm when it evaporates the water content

Your rivets are very convincing

• Like 1

Looks good

I might be tempted to thin the 560 with a drop of water to let it get under the Pla-Paper by capillary action

It should still dry firm when it evaporates the water content

Your rivets are very convincing

Thanks Perdu.

I do like a man who can appreciate another man's rivets.

• Like 2

G - that canopy is looking absolutely magnificent - even as a test piece! I am off to eBay straight away to get some Pla- Paper.

It was James G who suggested Pla-Paper, so thanks to him for that. I think it's jsut thin styrene sheet rather than anything special. OK it's the right thickness, but time will tell what the end result will look like.

So now - the Formula 560 worked OK after curing overnight. So the question now is do I pre-paint the frames black/grey and hope it still sticks? If I leave it white, the outer edges will remain white due to the canopy masking, and the white faces will be visible through the inside of the canopy.

Possibly easier to pre-paint than extensively mask the inside. The front and middle frames have photo-etch hoops glued over them, and the rear one is invisible.

The final issue...MDC. No problem for the wavy lines along the top, but how about where it wraps around the periphery of the canopy , with small random bumps in it, and the rear most section is offset from the framing...?

GJ-Tornado-001.JPG

Phot credit to Graham James (obviously!). If it's an issue I'll delete it, but it is in the BM tornado walkaround section. Thanks.