-

I've just checked two of my Tornado canopies as I have started these kits and both are identical to yours. I'd assumed they were ok and left them in the bags to protect them till I needed them. That is really disappointing! They almost make Airfix's recent canopy issues seem trivial!

• Like 1

On 10/02/2015 at 9:16 PM, FZ6 said:

I've just checked two of my Tornado canopies as I have started these kits and both are identical to yours. I'd assumed they were ok and left them in the bags to protect them till I needed them. That is really disappointing! They almost make Airfix's recent canopy issues seem trivial!

]

Edited by dr_gn
  • Like 6

I don't know at what point Revells mould, or plastic mix, started to give up with regards to the canopies but it's a real shame as it lets down what is still regarded as the best 1/72nd Tornado kit. I've looked through most of the kits I have squirrelled away and nearly all have the same issues as shown in your pic.

Unfortunately no one does a replacement vac form canopy for the Revell kit.

Eng

• Like 1

I don't know at what point Revells mould, or plastic mix, started to give up with regards to the canopies but it's a real shame as it lets down what is still regarded as the best 1/72nd Tornado kit. I've looked through most of the kits I have squirrelled away and nearly all have the same issues as shown in your pic.

Unfortunately no one does a replacement vac form canopy for the Revell kit.

Eng

Not sure what the answer is then. I'm not prepared to compromise by using the kit canopy, so I guess this one will have to remain unfinished.

Edited by dr_gn

I think the additions to the wing fold seals is blarry brilliant doc

Yo really outght to accept one of eng's canopies and make a new one (two three or many) from it

It would be awful to leave this like that and you do have the ability to get that right straight away

• Like 3

I think the additions to the wing fold seals is blarry brilliant doc

Yo really outght to accept one of eng's canopies and make a new one (two three or many) from it

It would be awful to leave this like that and you do have the ability to get that right straight away

Ta Perdu - I've got a couple of Revell canopies already, I even prepared one to crash mould a new one, but...something tells me it won't look right with a thin canopy edge. I guess I could thicken it with plastic strip on the inside of the lower edges but...TBH I want to finish this one asap, I've had enough of it now.

Now I agree that the canopy edges ned attention, I have just done that to the screen I prepared for my Airfix Jaguar

And I will be simulating the actual framework on the canopy too, which as a different profile to the screen moulding to be added

not too difficult if yoiu use Klear as an adhesive inside the canopy to build the frames up

I wpnder what the Airfix F3 canopy is like :huh: The GR4 one is just half a canopy with no lower frame, but I think the F3 is different.

Well we're agreed the GR's one is pants after all, someone must have used one

• Like 1

I dunno I'll finish it without the canopy and then decide what to do.

If there's a half decent one on a model on display at Huddersfield I'll snap it off and use that *

* only joking.

Edited by dr_gn
  • Like 3

Terrific thinking and execution on the wing seals.

This is the original - it's a shame that it doesn't really match the rest of the model in terms of how it looks. I've had a go at finishing it, but it's not great.

D2U0TDOT.jpg

Why not take some medium or even coarse grade sandpaper/sanding stick to it (even a file to start with)? You'll probably have to take the moulded framing off as well but so be it. I don't see why you can't get most if not all of the scratched, pimples dents and lumps out of it?

It should then polish up just fine afterwards - working progressively down from medium to fine sanding sticks and then through the micro mesh grades to 12000 grade micomesh. Followed by a dip in Klear if need be. I doubt it would take as long as an hour. If some of the blemishes are on the inside it'll work just as well.

It worked ok on my Airfix JP5 canopy.

I would have thought the framing could be reapplied via masking - or perhaps microstrip to get some profile to it - or even (given you've a spare or two) make an opaque vac mould and cut out the framing (I tried that unsuccessfully on my chipmunk but it may be easier on a bigger canopy like this).

I love this Tornado (never thought I'd say that about the Fin) and it'd be a great shame if you didn't finish it :)

• Like 4

Good ideas Fritag, I guess I've nothing to lose by sanding and polishing.

It's a very wierd design - the framing on the lower cills are actually internally moulded, but the front, middle and rear are external. Then there are - I think - the double bumps of MDC on the cills, which are moulded internally.

I will give polishing a go, but I get the impression the thickness is causing the distortion. Internal polishing will be tricky.

BTW, how did you get the rivet detail equally spaced on your JP canopy? I will have to duplicate it on the Tornado.

It will definitely get finished, but at present I've no idea exactly how!

• Like 1

BTW, how did you get the rivet detail equally spaced on your JP canopy? I will have to duplicate it on the Tornado.

Mick Grant rivet decals:

http://mikegrantdecals.com/shop/product/rivet-decals/

Showing as out of stock and I'm not sure where else you can get them - come in black and silver and I used both - You can have some of mine if you like?

• Like 2

Mick Grant rivet decals:

http://mikegrantdecals.com/shop/product/rivet-decals/

Showing as out of stock and I'm not sure where else you can get them - come in black and silver and I used both - You can have some of mine if you like?

That's very good of you to offer. I'm not yet sure whether I'd need dots or indents in the frame. I'll see how the canopy polishing goes. Are you planning on going to Huddersfield show on Sunday? If so it would be good to say hello, and maybe you could bring the rivet decals so I could have a look at them too?

I've often used toothpaste for final polishing but if you are wearing a comfortable pair of well worn jeans try rubbing vigorously across your leg in them, soft worn denim can be very kind to a canopy

I have also used a final dip in Klear to impart that superb shine you want but real physical polishing is a more ripple free effect

I am not a total Klear end product fan

I can remember why you are polishing this one anyway :)

It has to be better than it was already

• Like 1