-

I've got a complete Pavla vacform canopy, but it doesn't look very good in the area of the wide lower frames, nor does it have any hinge brackets. The frame detail in general is a bit soft. So I think I'd rather try using the moulded frame with acetate canopies. If it doesn't work out, I can always use the remaining unused canopy. I could even try cutting the Pavla canopy for the glazing.

• Like 1

Just a quicky mate, before you pop decals on her, check your steel areas at the base of the fin, looking at the pic you've posted further through the thread I think yours may extend too far aft towards the rudder.

Not trying to pick faults, but I know how pee'd I'd be if I missed it.

Hope this is taken in the good faith it was intended.

Great work as always.

Eng

• Like 1

Just a quicky mate, before you pop decals on her, check your steel areas at the base of the fin, looking at the pic you've posted further through the thread I think yours may extend too far aft towards the rudder.

Not trying to pick faults, but I know how pee'd I'd be if I missed it.

Hope this is taken in the good faith it was intended.

Great work as always.

Eng

Yeah thanks - I should have mentioned that; there is method to my madness:

If you look at the anniversary artwork on the tail of the real aircraft, the steel area is framed, at the rear, by a thin blue line of paint of the dam/water graphic. The Airfix decals are not correct for the Revell fin geometry, so assuming I still use them, the steel area has to be extended rearwards in order to meet the aforementioned blue line. Also, the white "waves" in front of the steel areas are way too long to fit on the black part of the lower fin as they should. It's all a bit of a pain in the bottom TBH.

What I've done is extended that steel area even further back than necesary, becasue the last thing I wanted was to find the decals left a block of black fin still visible. All the excess steel part will get covered with the dam/water stripes of the decal.

I'm not sure whether the Airfix decals are right, and the Revell fin is wrong, or vise-versa. I've e-mailed Hannants to ask if their anniversary decals are kit specific, but so far no reply.

Thanks for the comment though, well spotted!

Makes perfect sense and very well thought out on your part sir!

I would have been the idiot trying to touch up the voids left after decalling.

Nice one,

Eng

It's probably 1 or 2 isn't it? If you shorten the wave pattern I doubt you'll be happy.......

I can't see the sort of profile changes you'd have to make to extend the duct - won't simply extending the black paint do the trick?

What I would say is that black is probably one of the easiest colours to blend in so in principle careful masking and airbrushing shouldn't be too risky should it?

As for any constructions work - I know from my recent cackhandeness (dropping and breaking wings etc off the JPs) that if you adequately mask off the surrounding areas - it's surprising how well you can do 'invisible' rectification work without causing collateral damage.

It's a pain but doable is my guess.

• Like 1

The black part of the duct stands proud of the fin by about 0.5-1mm The duct itself curves slightly in 2 directions to a vertical slot outlet, and the bottom edge of the duct is a partial radius to the grey bit of the fin.

As someone else also said on PH, it'll niggle me unless its right, so I might as well make a start, and yes black is at least a good colour to patch.

Did you get any word back on which kit the Xtradecals sheet is for? I had intended to do the same as yourself and use the Airfix dec's on the Revell kit but I think I've also got the Xtradecal sheet too.

I'm now intrigued to know how the Xtradecal sheet will fit on the Revell kit.

Eng

Did you get any word back on which kit the Xtradecals sheet is for? I had intended to do the same as yourself and use the Airfix dec's on the Revell kit but I think I've also got the Xtradecal sheet too.

I'm now intrigued to know how the Xtradecal sheet will fit on the Revell kit.

Eng

They never replied.

I'd guess the decals won't fit the Revell kit, becasue it's clearly wrong in the fin base area, and therefore impossible to get anything like the correct geometry of artwork to fit it. It's worth getting it right I think, because that scheme is entirely based on that fin!

I suppose that leaves the Italeri version that the Xtradecals might fit, or Hasegawa?

yep, that IS the way to do it

looks alarmingly better, considering this kit was supposed to be a good one :(

You have already HAD to do a massive amount of work

good job it's you, some of us would have been beb+ggered with it

The Fin's fin looks good G

• Like 2

Just caught up with this build and it's looking great. I was at Derwent for the flypast as well and got some photos I was pleased with.

I bought the Airfix kit for the decals and ended up purchasing the Kits-world Dambusters Lancaster sheet which also comes with these markings as a bonus.

I hope you don't mind me pointing this out but I've recently noticed that the Rear RWR on the tail fin of the Revell Tornado is a bit on the long side. I've seen some photos of Tornados with longer RWRs on the rear but the RAF ones seem to be shorter. I plan to cut the end off at the panel line on mine, shorten it to the correct length and glue the end back on. Sorry to point this out so late in the build but I hope the info is useful.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I do try to make things difficult for myself.

FZ6, yes, looks like you're right about the extended pod at the top of the fin. I might have a go at shortening it, since I've got some paint correction to do anyway up there. Thanks for pointing it out.

Whoa, that is looking sweet as....

Very nice indeed Doc.

Eng

Ta! The Airfix (Cartograf) decals are a pretty good fit on the Revell kit so long as you extend the fin ducts. It would be a very easy mod before the fin is assembled! There is a tiny sliver to remove at the lower rear decal, but that's about it if you're careful. As I said, the top text is a bitch to get aligned right. I slightly messed up with the port side, I hope it's not obvious after a matt coat.

I'v been decalling tonight. There are thousands of stencils...

Does anyone know of a direct-fit wing seal kit for extended wings? I'm fed up with this thing now, and I want to avoid anymore scratchbuilding if possible...

• Like 1