Airfix 1/72 Fairey Rotodyne

Beautiful machine and model.

Watching the classic Farnborough airshow dvd form the 50s and this was dubbed "The city to city bus of the future" If only that was true. There were more optimistic back then and life felt as if it was moving forward and it was. Now it seems to be going backwards fast.

• Like 1

Beautiful machine and model.

Watching the classic Farnborough airshow dvd form the 50s and this was dubbed "The city to city bus of the future" If only that was true. There were more optimistic back then and life felt as if it was moving forward and it was. Now it seems to be going backwards fast.

Can't really agree. There are more people flying in and out of cities in helicopters than there were back in the late 50/early 60s. It just wasn't the Rotodyne that was going to do it.

The Rotodyne was a great concept however and might be wort exploring again now that jet/turbine technology has moved on another 50 plus years.

Lovely model too.

Can't really agree. There are more people flying in and out of cities in helicopters than there were back in the late 50/early 60s. It just wasn't the Rotodyne that was going to do it.

The Rotodyne was a great concept however and might be wort exploring again now that jet/turbine technology has moved on another 50 plus years.

Lovely model too.

I agree but did not quite mean it like that.

I meant that it would be nice if we has these instead of busses. I also liked the idea that it would be used as faster travel for ordinary people not just the wealthy in private helicopters with one seat.

A new version of the rotordyne could be a great way for people to get from town to town with dedicated pads here and there. It's more appealing than hs2 :)

A new version of the rotordyne could be a great way for people to get from town to town with dedicated pads here and there. It's more appealing than hs2 :)

Or the military applications are appealing. Being able to resupply our new carrier battlegroups while at sea, or a carrier based AEW / Refueling platform.

Lovely job on the old beast. One of the major problems with the concept was its perceived noise level,(mostly from those tip jets) but this wasn't really born out by tests conducted on the Thames at the time where official observers said that they couldn't properly assess the noise level over the din of the traffic ! Lack of firm orders and under performing engines didn't help either....

Just love all those rivets ! adds to the appeal of the thing...

Hi - You have really done a great job on such an old moulding - I watching this on the WIP threads and are delighted to see it finished - something really different and nostalgic. I have nearly bought this kit a few times but never got round to it so far - this build is very inspiring

very nice build well done .

As for a new go at the concept we have it , it's called the Osprey ," the Americans had a few bites at that cherry " but well its finally here , it seems to work . Maybe the world could have had an aircraft doing what the Osprey does 40 odd years ago.

Glenn.