1/32nd Hurricane Mk.IIb, Revell kit with Grey Matter conv- Finished!

Hiya Folks,

Although I`m more of a bodger compared to other more skillful modellers,....in case anybody is interested here is the progress on my Revell Hurricane so far;

First off, here is the Grey Matter Figures resin conversion set,.....it was to have been a Mk.IId but I decided to build it as a Mk.IIb instead and save the cannons for another day;

h1_zps1f0e8e41.jpg

I set to whittling away one night while watching a film and before I knew it I had sanded all of the rivets away, re scribed the parts, cut the Revell fuselage down fixed it together, attached the upper wing parts and fitted the replacement resin nose section! Pity the break line isn`t along a panel line but with careful cutting, filling and sanding it can be disguised,....hopefully!;

h2_zps3dfb74c2.jpg

The Grey Matter Figures cockpit is excellent and much better than the kit parts, so this was obtained as well. It could be fitted from below, which is why the lower wings were not fitted yet and here is the cockpit before;

h4_zps7dcb9af8.jpg

and after,...ready for fitting, although I still have to do some detail painting, especially the brass firing button on the control column;

h5_zps3e793f98.jpg

Here is the cockpit with the main kit parts;

h6_zpse306b479.jpg

Once the cockpit was in place the lower wings were fitted, along with the Vokes filter and the radiator. A section of armour plating was fitted behind the pilots head rest, made from plastic card;

h9_zps5d0581c9.jpg

h7_zps73647a4b.jpg

I couldn`t afford the Grey Matter Figures wheel well set this time (although it is excellent and I`ve used one before on a previous Hurri!) but the lower wing section still had to be cut to accept the resin nose. Unfortunately I made the cut bigger than it should so the gap was packed with scrap plastic and filler!;

h8_zps98c944f5.jpg

Almost time to start painting,...more to follow!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Next update,......painting has begun and having decided that the model was going to be a Mk.IIb and not a Mk.IIa,....the extra gun bay doors were scribed into the outer wings with two new gun ports drilled out. Aeromaster Dark Earth was brushed on using a nice wide brush and some of the detail parts can also be seen here too, including a gun sight from the spares box, left over Rotol blades from the PCM Hurri kit which may replace the resin blades, the vacformed canopy and a dash cover made from plastic card;

h10_zpsb3339b95.jpg

Having completed the first colour,.....the first coat of Dark Green has been applied for the disruptive camouflage, again using an old bottle of Aeromaster acrylic and a hairy stick;

h11_zpsaf3332fa.jpg

And the 2nd coat,....plus the spinner has been painted white,.....any guesses as to the scheme that I`ve chosen?;

h12_zpsd26593bd.jpg

The spinner might give it away here, with its first coats of paint applied ....painting is now finished on the main airfrrame with the application of Aeromaster Finnish Light Blue to represent British Sky Blue, as applied to the majority of Hurricane`s sent overseas. The spinner ;

h13_zpsc4dc7e21.jpg

Thats everything up to date for now,......I`m going to have a go at hand painting some nose art onto the model but if it is a disaster I have a fall back plan to obliterate it and choose another aircraft from the same unit!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Cheers Neil,

No its taken all week to get this far mate,.....I started it after I finished my PCM Hurri Mk.I in desert markings. It was going to be a Malta based Mk.IIa or b but I struggled finding decals for the codes so it is going to be a West African 128 Sqn aircraft instead. I`m going to have a go at brush painting the nose art of Billy Drakes BD897, WG-M `Zut' but if I cock it up I`ll cover it up and do another sqn aircraft! Wish me luck,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Hello folks,

Well the latest update isn`t brilliant but consider the nose art a real `work in progress' and this is the first coat of paint after all! After the paint dries I`ll make parts of the artwork smaller by filling it in using Dark Green and then apply the second coat of white;

h14_zps03a03a0b.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 3

Here is the latest update,........the Humbrol 35 gloss varnish (from a large tin, rather than a bottle or small tin as I feel that it settles better,..nice and tight!) has been brushed on ready for the decals, the vacuformed canopy has been cut out and dry fitted to the model while the framework is being slowly built up a coat at a time. The nose art is steadily taking shape too;

h15_zps47a8c5e0.jpg

This is a close up of the nose art,....still very untidy yet but hopefully I`ve now got it down to an approximation of the right size,.....it needs to be coloured in and lots of tidying up yet,......please don`t expect it look exactly like the real thing mind you,..as you`ll be disappointed!;

h16_zpsd5bd8467.jpg

Hopefully I`ll get one more update in before I have a week off,

All the best for now,

Tony

• Like 3

Hi Tony, looking good (actually great) where did the vac canopy come from, that was one of the weak points of the Revell kit, is it from Grey Matter ?

Cheers

Dennis

Cheers Dennis,

The canopy comes with the Grey Matter conversion set as the Revell canopy is too bulbous and very thick. Saying that I`m having a go at another Revell Hurri straight from the box to see how it turns out and I`ve managed to sand the windscreen to a more accurate shape.

Tony

That's great paintwork from a brush. Actually it's great painting full stop. I assume the camouflage demarcations were freehanded?

cheers,

Jason

Cheers Dennis,

The canopy comes with the Grey Matter conversion set as the Revell canopy is too bulbous and very thick. Saying that I`m having a go at another Revell Hurri straight from the box to see how it turns out and I`ve managed to sand the windscreen to a more accurate shape.

Tony

That clears that one up, when I built my Revell Hurricane I looked everywhere for a replacement canopy but could not find one.

Cheers

Dennis

:worthy: Tony,

you cant possibly bodge anything up having seen this and your other work ,it looks MOST SPLENDID

good painting..looking NEAT and quite flawless from where I am sat.

Keep it going. :elephant:

Edited by HOUSTON

Just found this thread Tony,as a fellow Hurricane "nut" will be following with interest,I could kick myself now as this kit was going for silly low

prices when Modelzone closed and i should have picked a couple up,great work so far!

Thanks folks,.........I`ll try and tidy up the nose art today before having a week long break for family days ou, at least we`ve got the weather for it!.

Jason- yes mate all freehand painting, I don`t really go in for masks, not even for canopies unless they are very complicated because the paint always creeps under the tape when brush painting! I use a wooden toothpick to tidy up any overpainting on the canopy after the paint has dried.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Latest Update,.....I`ve not managed to get the decals on yet but the nose art is as good as I can get it so I`m calling it done! Not brilliant by any shades of the imagination but I`m OK with it;

h17_zps6185279d.jpg

h19_zpse8b80cec.jpg

I`ll try and get most of the decals on tonight although the Techmod sheet from Hannants has still not arrived and I need that for my under wing roundels! If I have time in the morning I`ll try and post some more pics,

Cheers for now,

Tony

PS- Just noticed that the surface of the resin nose looks rather rough in the close up photo but it doesn`t look half as bad in reality and the matt coat shouldhopefully sort that out?

Edited by tonyot

This is the last update for a week now as I`m fully booked on family days out! Managed to get the decals on last night so here it is;

h23_zps781c8349.jpg

h22_zps8dc282c3.jpg

Hope you like it,......I`m glad to get up to this stage before my enforced break,....if we manage to get home early one day I might manage another update but if not, see you in a week or so,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a while but here is my latest update;

The model has now received a coat of Polly Scale Acrylic Matt varnish using a large wide brush and then the panel lines have received a watercolour wash to highlight the re-cscribed panel lines etc;

h24b_zps451c6642.jpg

h24c_zps4280a195.jpg

The undercarriage and other items will be going on soon,

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 2

Excellent work as always sir - I'm in envy of your brush-painting skills. Can I ask how you avoid building up a raised ridge of paint when masking tape is used?

Hello,

Just spotted your query,.....sorry if I`m late but I`ve been away! I don`t really use much masking tape as I hand brush and never use masks for camouflage patterns,....however to get straight lines such as those between the upper and lower surfaces,... I do use tape and where there is a little burr I simply (but carefully) sand it flat. When hand brushing in general I tend to lightly sand in between coats to keep the surface nice and flat, hope this helps?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thank you to those who have been following this build and who have posted comments,......your interest helps me make that little extra effort that I might not make otherwise!

Here is another update;

Almost finished now,.....the undercarriage is on and as the matt varnish was a little dodgy in parts and clouded up a bit parts of the tail and propeller spinner have received a further coat of paint to tidy then up;

h25b_zpscdf782d6.jpg

h25a_zps4097c0eb.jpg

The gun sight is in place, the canopy is almost ready to be attached and I have to add the Sutton Harness to the pilots seat plus the clear light covers need to be attached (although one of the landing light covers is currently residing with the carpet monster!) and few other jobs including adding the outboard machine guns which protrude from the wing on the real aircraft. Not far to go now,

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Looking great Tony. Thanks for the tip on painting, I've never been able to get a finish this good. On the final straight now :)

Cheers Neil but I don` think that you need any tips at painting,.....your models are always superbly finished and I`m always envious (in a nice way of course!) of the results that you achieve!

Cheers

Tony