Airfix 1/72 Me 109 "Von Werra"

8445076156_a6a2f304ba_c.jpg

Walk around,

8459277104_ec48011bd8_c.jpg

8459276492_6ab4a3c0e3_c.jpg

8443945099_2efce758c9_c.jpg

This is my version of the Airfix kit, there may be some dispute over the colours I used!

It was painted with tamiya paints and weathering sets. Pretty much from the box, I just added aileron trim tabs and fixed the wing root fillet using plastic sheet. Xtradecal swastika.

It is not a new build but I'm new here. This is my first aircraft "ready for inspection"

Edited by It's a disease
  • Like 14

Thanks guys, or peoples to be P.C.

Pleasing and very nice are certainly goals I think!

Most of the weathering is games workshop black thinned to nothing and layered on, the rest is overspray and powder. Just a little drybrushing here and there. All weathering painted onto block colour, I haven't tried that preshade thing yet as I'm newish to airbrushing, I've had it for a few years but I don't build much, or better, I don't finish much of what I start!

I'm glad you like it mike. I do feel welcome! So cheers.

Thank Phil, I promise it's 1/72!

Espen, the film was on the telly, the one that got away. I also thought it very interesting. So I go to the model store and see this kit with these decals all in the same box! Yes please!

Cheers to you both.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot everybody.

Adrian here's the secret, the grass mat is ready made from noch scenics, natur+ spring meadow I think it was. (Shhhh) I staged this photo quickly to make the black and white renders, the one at the top of the page is my version of how it would look in a book, I've a black and white version of the last image which I tried to make look like a period film camera.

FalkeEins, yes I couldn't believe that sheet was in an Airfix kit! It was nice to see, even better to use. I was expecting them to be unusable but actually (apart from the box image being so small and needing alternative referencing) they worked very well. Well above my expectations.

8443984113_da689766ea_z.jpg

What a stunner! Excellent job!

I've been to your flickr page, you make great models! It's nice of you to say this. (I'll be back to your flickr when time allows, some favourites I see for sure) I really like how you displayed your red arrows team! Very good sir!

Welcome to BM with that excellent rendition of the Airfix kit!

While the kit is old, it's still quite good and respectable in shape and outline, as you have proved!

One detail for your next '09 – when the flaps are fully deployed, the ailerons also droop a bit, some 11 degrees, to further aid lift.

Nice work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Nice job!

BTW.Is this the guy they made the film about,"The one that got away"?

Edited by bzn20

Welcome to BM with that excellent rendition of the Airfix kit!

While the kit is old, it's still quite good and respectable in shape and outline, as you have proved!

One detail for your next '09 – when the flaps are fully deployed, the ailerons also droop a bit, some 11 degrees, to further aid lift.

Nice work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Nice info on the ailerons! Cheers, next time yes. I'm no expert on these planes so I appreciate that. It's almost an out of box build.

>This is not the old kit though! It's the new tooling from Airfix.<

The next one I build I would incorporate that detail, also I think some Eduard zoom type cockpit detail would be great to use too. The kit decal is way too big! All other decals are perfect though?

All the best mister!

Nice job!

BTW.Is this the guy they made the film about,"The one that goT away"?

Cheers.

Yes it is. Apparently the only German pow to escape British captivity during WWII, hence, "the ONE that got away" he escaped in Canada and swam to America who were neutral at that time. I think it went that way. A truly epic story!

Hmm, I replied to this, it seems to have vanished. I said something like this.

I haven't heard of ulrich steinhilper, I'll check him out when I can.

I found a version of this kit being built on this forum using the Eduard etch I mentioned previously, I think it will be a cracker once finished, check this out;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961336-airfix-172-messerschmitt-bf-109e-4/page-3?hl=%2Bairfix+%2B109#entry1687105

The Wooksta!, Stevej60, Alex Gordon, Wolwe82, Val_Ukraine, Stew Dapple, raguk, lasermonkey & Val.

Sorry for the delay, this is a new feature I've discovered, I'm new here so forgive me (especially the earlier ones), thank you all!

(Now those numbers make sense!)

Phew!