British 1st Armoured Division is no more.

Julien

Saw this on the Army's Facebook page. My Dad was part of 1st Armoured when we were in Germany so sad to see it go.

Today saw the 1st (United Kingdom) Armoured Division drop Armoured from its title and redesignate to 1st (United Kingdom) Division as part of the changes to be implemented under Army 2020.

To signify the redesignation of the Division, its achievements and to celebrate the occasion there was a formal parade in Herford with approximately 1,000 divisional soldiers participating.

In attendance were a number of former General Officer Commanding 1st (United Kingdom) Armoured Division including the guest of honour General Sir Peter Wall (the current Chief of the General Staff), Her Majestys Ambassador to Germany, Sir Simon McDonald, as well as dignitaries from both the German civilian and military communities.

In the coming year, the Division will not only begin its return to the UK from Germany, but it will also convert from an Armoured Division into the light-roled Adaptable Force (AF).

The AF will be a pool of Regular and Reserve forces that will routinely carry out wider engagements overseas, homeland resilience, have responsibility for public and ceremonial duties in addition to being at readiness to provide further capacity for enduring operations.

Ahead of the parade the current General Officer Commanding the Division, Major General James Chiswell said Today is a poignant day as the Division loses the Armoured from its title signifying our transition to our new role at the heart of the Adaptable Force, but one that also signifies new opportunities as the Army adjusts to meet the security challenges of the future.

To reflect the Divisions historical armoured capability a large number of military vehicles were on display on the parade square, with musical support provided by the Band of The Royal Armoured Corps.

To read about Army 2020, visit http://www.army.mod.uk/structure/33449.aspx.

If you are on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154387229650615.1073742208.318319690614&type=1

• 1 month later...

If only it were that simple.....Personally I strongly suspect that they are quite aware of history, however as it doesn't offer a paid speaking engagement or a position on the board at the end of their term in office, they don't really have much interest in it. :mellow:

I shall say no more, as this is something I feel very strongly about and I don't want to get into trouble. :confused:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...