Vallejo RAF light aircraft grey....883?

dhdove

Hi all

First post in a while.

I'm trying to progress my Airfix Lightning F2/F6 1/48 two colour scheme, light aircraft grey/barley grey.

Having done a lot of searching I have used Vallejo 883 silver grey for the light aircraft grey, but to me it looks cream?

TBH I'm loathed to re paint having painted it three times already....

Plain 883

Then.......Decided to try my first panel line shading, so did that and repainted 883, looked OK!

Painted red fin and wing leading edges and found my masking was wanting........oh sh++++++

Painted it again.....

BUT This colour just doesn't look right, I've rechecked online sources and they say 883 but I think I should have used 990.....?

Any thoughts guys?

NB copied this from my post in "paints" for some expert aircraft modellers advice. I know this forum is crammed with "Frightening" nuts!

Thanks

TonyS

Edited by dhdove

Nobody?

Well, never mind, decision made......Purists look away now!

I've decided to live with the creamy undersides, I really don't want to paint it yet again and for me the pleasure is in the build. I'm not trying to create exact reproductions. Although I have in fact altered the scheme from that in the painting guide to reflect some contemporary pics I have of this particular aircraft eg belly pack in silver/chrome and camo line along the electrical conduit low on the fuse rather than Barley Grey for the whole fuse, with LAG just on the under surfaces.

If this isn't correct please don't be too critical when I post ready for inspection pics, I'll be happy (I hope) and it should still look good on the shelf.

I think it's the fun of this hobby isn't it? Take it as far as you like or just build and enjoy!

I AM learning some new skills, I now know that I hate tiny PE bits.......I know my eyes aren't as good as they were but TBH, I JUST can't be bothered with sub mm bits........ ;-)

TonyS

Edited by dhdove

To be honest, as much as I like the vallejo range, their RAF colours are a bit out.

I can't remember the numbers but after painting the low viz phantom, then comparing it to another painted with humbrol, it was chalk and cheese.

Although one positive for vallejo barley grey is that it might be a good match for the phantom F3s we got...

Edited by hovis