New Sword Lightnings

Catbird

I wasn't aware they were doing them, I hope they get the length right and have done their homework on all the details like the vents for the early marks. If they get them right they will hopefully sell very well.

Duncan B

• Like 2

I wasn't aware they were doing them, I hope they get the length right and have done their homework on all the details like the vents for the early marks. If they get them right they will hopefully sell very well.

Duncan B

Re the vents they are different between the F1/1A and F.3 I believe.Starboard side rear fuselage in particular I think.

Will they be accurate, I wonder? The trainers apparently were a bit short.

How short are they? I've held off buying the Sword lightning trainers, waiting for a definitive assessment of the kits.

Yes the vents are different, even from the early F1 to late F1 in some cases, i.e the early gun vents were slated then they changed to round holes. The F3 is more akin to the F6 with regards to style and layout of the various vents.

Duncan B

Now if Sword are smart and have studied the way EE designed and developed the thing, they could produce every mark, with few extra parts, from the basic F.Mk.1 kit. If they do do an F.Mk.1, I hope that they get the 74Sqdn markings correct - nobody else has so far.

Dennis

• Like 1

Yes the vents are different, even from the early F1 to late F1 in some cases, i.e the early gun vents were slated then they changed to round holes. The F3 is more akin to the F6 with regards to style and layout of the various vents.

Duncan B

I'm sure I was saw diagrams on t'internet showing the differing vent layouts? If I did I'm sure I'd have saved them, but I can't now find them (they could be on my expired external HD), & of course I can't find links to them, & google doesn't find them either (or I'm not using the correct terms)

Anyone else recall them or was it another dream...??!! :crosseyed:

keith

Edit: or were they in a SAM article....?? :shrug:

• Like 1

I'm sure I was saw diagrams on t'internet showing the differing vent layouts? If I did I'm sure I'd have saved them, but I can't now find them (they could be on my expired external HD), & of course I can't find links to them, & google doesn't find them either (or I'm not using the correct terms)

Anyone else recall them or was it another dream...??!! :crosseyed:

keith

Edit: or were they in a SAM article....?? :shrug:

I can't remember the article Keef, but generally the vents etc were basically in the same place on the early Marks. The F3 tended to have scoops and fairings over where the NACA ducts and vents were on the F1/F1a/F2. Now the Hunter with Avon 100's and Sapphires DID have a different layout, mid fuselage the to Hunters with Avon 200's and I do remember seeing an article on that...
  • Like 2

I hope so too but Sword didn't get the cable duct length right for the T4 (they have it the same as the T5) so what are the chances for the small details?

Duncan B

The nose ring was pretty poor too. Not deep enough - I can't imagine Sword doing anything different here with the single seaters BUT hats off to them - they will be popular, and most modellers won't worry about the deficiencies - I will though!! Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 2

The nose ring was pretty poor too. Not deep enough - I can't imagine Sword doing anything different here with the single seaters BUT hats off to them - they will be popular, and most modellers won't worry about the deficiencies - I will though!!

Cut off the nose ring from the Sword fuselage and fit the resin nose ring from Quickboost intended for the Trumpeter Lightnings. It's a near perfict fit and a great improvement.

• Like 2

My main concern regarding size is how big can my stash can get before the floor collapses under the weight. This announcement is certainly going to push the structural integrity of my house to the limit, not to mention the sanity of the missus.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

If i can decipher the photos correctly the cable ducts are separate parts (to enable the F1 to be done) with plenty of sprue attachment points. That'll be a challenge to look forward to (but not much!).

Cut off the nose ring from the Sword fuselage and fit the resin nose ring from Quickboost intended for the Trumpeter Lightnings. It's a near perfict fit and a great improvement.

That might actually work..the Quickboost item is a couple of mm too long, as is the Trumpeter part that it's supposed to replace. That could replace the missing length! Have you actually tried it Sten? Did the taper of the nose match the diameter of the nose ring?

Mine arrived today and I must say they are beautiful ! The scribing on the new fuselage is very well done and they do provide the different scoops for the different versions. It also has both fins. How well it goes together we will see.

Robert

• Like 1

Mine are already in the post heading to my home. They'll be waiting for me when I get home in a week's time.

Duncan B

By the time you get rid of all the layers of clothing required by the new regulations Duncan, it will be time to get dressed and go back out again.

Best send 'em down to me me-thinks. I'll do a good review whilst you're bobbin about a bit.

Dennis

• Like 1