1/72 - EE Lightning F.1/2 & F.3 by Sword Models - released

Homebee

And hopefully this will shut a few people up moaning that Airfix aren't doing one.

Unlikely. A mainstream Airfix kit would (a) Be much more widely available, (B) probably cheaper, © easier to assemble as it would not have the extraneous baggage of p/e & resin parts AND the inherent assembly issues that often go hand in hand with such limited production multi media kits. Not a problem for experienced modellers to be sure but,certainly not for the novice. No. Sorry but I'd rather see Airfix tackle this instead. If I have to wait longer for a decent early Lightning - so be it!

Allan

• Like 1

..probably cheaper,

Not necessarilly - Hannants have the Sword kits listed at £14.99, £13.49 for pre-order - Airfix F2 at £14.99 & F6 at £16.99...!! (& no pre-order discount offered). I think for good quality limited run kits Sword offer great value for money! :)

Keith

• Like 1

I sent Sword an email about the dimensional issues of the T.4/5 kits and linked to the relevant thread here; I asked them what plans they were going off for the new kits. Hopefully I'll hear back.

Sorry but I'd rather see Airfix tackle this instead. If I have to wait longer for a decent early Lightning - so be it!

Well, I'm the opposite, I prefer building to painting so possible sword assembly problems doesn't bother me. Looks like the sword kit will be cheaper (with the bonus of resin and etch, some see that as a drawback but not me) and probaby have finer panel lines from what I've been told of the T4/5

But it takes all sorts as they say ...

Of course that leaves Airfix to do another subject, and let's face it, there's loads to choose from ;)

Edited by neilscrim

Not necessarilly - Hannants have the Sword kits listed at £14.99, £13.49 for pre-order - Airfix F2 at £14.99 & F6 at £16.99...!! (& no pre-order discount offered). I think for good quality limited run kits Sword offer great value for money! :)

Keith

They are indeed very good prices, more so considering the presence of PE and resin parts.

Czech kit manufacturers in general, are becoming more and more interesting pricewise recently. Sword may have done some errors, their kits are sure more difficult to build than modern mainstream kits, but in terms of quality they are among the best. If these new Lightnings are accurate enough, I'd sure buy one or two

Don't forget, IIRC airfix said it's about 15 months from conception to release, so what are the chances they knew Sword would be bringing these out back around Easter 2013? Besides, I doubt very much they (airfix) would suddenly think twice about it even if they did, especially when you consider the costs involved. We've had on several occasions the London bus syndrome when it comes to subjects..wait ages for one then three come along at once. Would Revell have postponed their Lynx knowing Airfix had one imminent, albeit smaller? Of course not.

I ordered another Airfix F.2A and Alley Cat conv two weeks before the Sword ones were announced, but I'll still get em. I don't care about length issues, undercarriages bother me not cos I make em wheels-up, and whilst I may tut a tad when English doesn't seem to translate onto Czech decal sheets as it ought "keep clean of intakes", I am still going to part with the readies when they come out. If, IF, next year, Airfix announce two early models, or indeed a couple of two-seaters, I'll get them too, and I dare say they'd all prove popular. There's no rule that states "thou shalt only make the one of whatever thine desireth" (money and SWMBO excepted!) and that's just as well....speaking as someone who has 60+ Hawks built and 30+ more to do!

Now then...Airfix, you've just pleased a large percentage of the population with the huge Typhoon, can you bless us all with the F.6 now, and the Swift please? (And from the Typhoon profits, could you invest in a new Buccaneer and Hunter please?)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just had a good look at those sprue shots....WHERE ARE the CABLE DUCTS!!!!?????????

Might they be on the other sprue with the wings??? If separate then carefull application will be needed!!! BUT without the sprue ducts one can only build the F.1 and not the F.1A or F2 amd 3!!!!

Are those the cable ducts just to the right of the main wheels, just under the wing slot on the fuselage. There are a couple of long straight things, still a bit odd though.

I'm still happy converting the Airfix kit, gone off Sword kits big time. They also had to go and release these in markings that I'm doing anyway, so that negates me buying these then!

In September Sword (http://www.swordmodels.cz/) is to release new tool EE Lightning F.1/2 & F.3 kits - ref.72081 & 72082

Source: http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68170&start=4890

BAC/EE Lightning F.1/2 - ref.72081

TWO decals versions:

F.1 - 74 Sq. RAF - XM137/D

F.2 - 92 Sq. RAF - XN768/S

Colored PE parts for cockpit interiors and details PUR parts of ejecton seat and jet exhaust

Sources:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SW72081

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/bac-lightning-f12-sw72081-sword-859297772081-scale-modelling/product/?shopid=LM53c056b10982364d72a2bdddd0&action=prodinfo&parent_id=212&art=122811

122811_0.jpg

BAC/EE Lightning F.3 - ref.72082

Two decals versions:

F.3 - 111 Sq. RAF - XP740/J

F.3 - 56 Sq. RAF - XR719/D

Colored PE parts for cockpit interiors and details. PUR parts of ejecton seat and jet exhaust

Sources:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SW72082

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/bac-lightning-f3-sw72082-sword-859297772082-scale-modelling/product/?shopid=LM53c056b10982364d72a2bdddd0&action=prodinfo&parent_id=212&art=122812

122812_0.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

What is it with kit manufacturers and 'elevon' free 74 Sqn Lightnings on their box art ?!. I replicated the angle of the 74 Sqn image above using a kit and the elevon is not entirely masked by the mainplane when viewed from this perspective. This is the second such portrayal of a 74 Sqn Lightning (after the recent Airfix faux pas)…..As an honorary member of the Sqn concerned, that has also researched their history extensively, I can find no record of the unit, unique as they were, operating a special mark of the Lightning that flew without elevons !!.

I hope they manage to draw the tail surfaces on their box art....Must have been the same person who did the artwork for Airfix. You can see the tailless lightning on the Hannetts advert on Hyperscale too.

• 8 years later...

In response to an email inquiry to Sword, it appears that these kits will be re-issued next year. 

Hello Edward,

Yes, all versions of Lightnings will be re-issuee next year.

Best Regards

Milan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, Procopius said:

In response to an email inquiry to Sword, it appears that these kits will be re-issued next year. 

Thanks for making the enquiry & letting us know, good news indeed, I wished I'd bought more of them.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

That is the best news I have heard for a long time @Procopius. I just hope they revise their transfer sheets so they read KEEP CLEAR OF INTAKES rather than KEEP CLEAN OF INTAKES!

Ray

PS Thankfully I still have an F.2 and an F.3 still in the stash

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Great news mate. Was keen on doing a F1/2 at some point. I hope they can do a F-84F to go with their Thunderflash while they're at it.

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - EE Lightning F.1/2 & F.3 by Sword Models - released